NYC_or_Bust
#3re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 1:23am

Simple. Wicked sucks.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

apdarcey
#4re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 1:27am

wait, it didn't? are you sure... oh my god.. why in the world not, i can't believe it. i might have to go die now. bso, say it isn't so, SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!!!!!!

YankeesFan175
#5re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 1:33am

elphaba610, check your PMs

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

#6re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 1:55am

Yeah, I agree.. it didn't win a Tony because the only thing it has going for it is good design and Idina.

The story sucks. The themes suck. Most of it sucks.

WickedJerseyGirl Profile Photo
WickedJerseyGirl
#7re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:00am

Elphaba, you are killing me, kid. Check your PMs please.

Idina: This is called a kielbasa! Pianist: It's called a 'KA-basa'... Idina: It's called a kabasa? Oh, a KIEL-basa's a sausage, isn't it? I CAN PLAY THAT TOO! HULLO!!

#8re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:03am

Did you think it should've won the Tony?

RockabyeHamlet
#9re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:05am

I refuse to have this arguement again. It was a long time ago. Go On With Your Lives!

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

jarred03
#11re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:10am

I thought it should have won a Tony, because it's an amazing show, but then I saw Avenue Q and realized that Avenue Q really did deserve to win over Wicked. Wicked, although it is a great show, is lacking in a few spots, while Avenue Q is perfect. You should go and see Avenue Q and then you won't feel so bad that Wicked didn't win. The only real tragedy that year was that Idina and Kristen both couldn't win Best Actress because they both deserved it.

Plum
#12re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:17am

Actually, the best musical that year was probably Caroline, or Change, but that's another story.

#13re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:18am

I can't wait to see Avenue Q in Vegas. WOO HOO!

(This thread has been officially threadjacked.)

BSoBW2
#14re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:19am

C,oC is very good.

So is Tonya.

I love me some Tonya.

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#15re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:19am

I agree with you Plum...it's too bad that Caroline didn't have enough momentum to cause an upset win...I did enjoy Ave Q, but Caroline is a more complex show by far in my opinion.

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

#16re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:21am

I've heard the Caroline OCR and I was amazed.. Loved me some of that.

Much like that cigarette after sex thing. You gotta love it.

And I still love that avatar BSoBW2.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#17re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:25am

Caroline was the best of the three was a long shot. It was just too complex for the Academy to give it rightful recognition (they're used to awarding more "entertaining" shows). I know I will be mauled to death for this, but I personally can not listen to Avenue Q for more than twenty minutes at a time. The lyrics are hilarious, but the music is just sooooo repetitive, it's like I'm listening to an extra-long episode of an X-rated Sesame Street, which gets old after a while. And Wicked was just another mega-blockbuster from the king of pop musical theater: Stephen Schwartz. It really didn't have anything going for it, just superb acting. It never really was the critic's darling.

jarred03
#18re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:34am

I did not see Caroline sadly, so I can't truly debate this, but you have to look at it from all points of view and you can't say that just because Caroline has deeper story than Avenue Q that it deserved to win. Avenue Q was perfect the way everything( directing, writing, songs, acting, set, lighting, etc.) all fit together and there was no weak spots. It flowed amazingly.

aegeusrocks
#19re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:38am

I didn't claim it should've won just 'cuz it was deeper, I said part of the reason it didn't was because it was, and the Academy wasn't used to that. While Avenue Q may have "flowed," it was a very repetitive flow, at least IMO in terms of the songs (musically).

#20re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:39am

Threadjack.

I'm watching the Thanksgiving episode from Season Four of Will and Grace.

LOVE IT.

aegeusrocks
#21re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:43am

Haha, interesting threadjack, Captain.

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#22re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:44am

I also agree that Ave Q's music is repetitive and not exactly as endearing upon multiple listenings, but it does run together and is very entertaining for what it is...I'm very glad it won over Wicked which I do not particularly care for...but Caroline winning would have been a real treat...just my opinion.

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

#23re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:48am

I love singing along with Avenue Q. It's a highlight when one of the songs comes up on my ipod.

aegeusrocks
#24re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:51am

True, it is entertaining, but Caroline wins me over by far.

Videos