Soprano Uptempo

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#0Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:22pm

I'm looking for one besides "I Could Have Danced All Night", since I have about none in my portfolio. Can you help me? I also found "This Place Is Mine", but it's 9 pages long, so it's not really ideal.

My Fair Lady
#1re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:27pm

These were the legit songs under my "Audition Songs" post on M.Net. I'm looking for legit songs.

This Place is Mine-Phantom
I Could Have Danced All Night-My Fair Lady
Goodnight My Someone-The Music Man
Till There Was You-The Music Man
Godspeed Titanic-Titanic
I Feel Pretty-West Side Story
Tonight-West Side Story
My Favorite Things-The Sound of Music
Glitter and Be Gay-Candide
On the Steps of the Palace-Into the Woods (Sondheim)
The Girl I Mean to Be-The Secret Garden*

None of them quite capture my fancy, except maybe "Tonight",. I love "I Could Have Danced All Night", but that G will be my downfall if I'm not having a great singing day.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#2re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:33pm

I'm a fan of "I feel pretty" from West Side Story
"Should I Be Sweet?"
"June is Bustin' Out All Over"
"Mr.Snow"
Check out R&H musicals
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 04:33 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:35pm

Many A New Day from OKLAHOMA is good for showing off both range and personality.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

My Fair Lady
#4re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:35pm

No sheet music for "Should I Be Sweet" on musicnotes re: Soprano Uptempo. I love that song.

And I'll look at "many a new Day". Maybe I have sheet music for it.
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 04:35 PM

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#5re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:41pm

Here are some really impressive ones:
"Green Finch and Linnet Bird"-Sweeney Todd
"I'm not afraid"-Songs for a New world
"Time Heals Everything"- Mack and Mable
"There won't be Trumpets"- Anyone can Whistle
"Not a Day goes By"- Merrily we Roll along
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#6re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:43pm

those last four are definately belter songs
they're great songs, but not legit soprano songs

My Fair Lady
#7re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:44pm

Thanks!

My Fair Lady
#8re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:46pm

"Green Finch and Linnet Bird" is one of my favorite songs ever. But how do you act it? I've never seen Sweeney.

Sporti2005
#9re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:47pm

in response to what gclef said:

yes, "i'm not afraid of anything" is a great piece.

BUT - please don't use it in your audition portfolio. i've commented on this sort of thing many many times before, but i'll do it again. THERE WERE 3 GIRLS IN FRONT OF ME AT COLLEGE AUDITIONS WHO SANG THIS PIECE. it is incredibly done, and JRB should NOT be used for auditions.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

My Fair Lady
#10re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:50pm

I love Songs for a New World, but I'm not very good at "I'm Not Afraid of Anything". I can't belt it well, and it gets too head-voicey when I don't belt it.

bwaylvsong
#11re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 4:50pm

If I were A Bell from Guys and Dolls

My Fair Lady
#12re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 5:05pm

Only problem is, that song's a bti overdone and ab it too well-known. I was looking at a fairly obscure song before, but I decided agaisnt it since it's not in my legit Soprano range, which is best.

My Fair Lady
#13re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 5:49pm

Just realized "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" isn't cheerful enough, since I'm doin a monologue from The Crucible.

michelle4
#14re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 6:16pm

In response to Sporti2005, while JRB is done a lot at auditions there is a reason for it. He writes great acting pieces. I have been cast in several professional shows singing JRB's "Stars and Moon" and "I'm Not Afraid". It really isn't about the piece it is about about how well it is performed. Just my opinion.

To my fair lady, check out the classics (Lerner and Lowe, Roders and Hart, Rodgers and Hammerstien, Porter) and also look at "The Girl in 14G". The last one is difficult to cut for auditions, but it is fun to sing.

I <3 NY Profile Photo
I <3 NY
#15re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 6:23pm

colored lights from the world goes round - can be belted but a soprano sang it for our show last year

the beauty is from Piazze

Blair
#16re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 6:45pm

Get every single volume of The Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology for Sopranos. That will give you over 100 songs to choose from, and more than you'd think are not overdone in the least.

It's got me set on audition songs and competition pieces for the next couple years.

wickedwitchofthechest
#17re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:08pm

I've used Amalia's songs from She Loves Me for auditions. I know "Vanilla Ice Cream" is overdone, but it's fun and shows off the soprano range well. "Will He Like Me" isn't quite as uptempo, but it's still a very nice song.

"And This Is My Beloved" from Kismet is gorgeous, and you can take the last "beloved" up an octave, which is always fun.

A lot of Gershwin and Porter songs were originally written in fairly high keys as well. Try "It's De-Lovely."

I don't know how high or how coloratura your range is, but if you really want to knock them dead, try "Italian Street Song" from Naughty Marietta.

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

My Fair Lady
#18re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:16pm

De-Lovely was done as a duet in Anything Goes. I have the sheet music arranged for an audition, but I don't think I'd use it.

Prettylittlepicture2 Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture2
#19re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:35pm

Uptempo soprano, we love you! Art is Calling for Me from The Enchantress. It's tough to tackle, but worth it! And no one else will be auditioning with it - I promise! Gooch's Song from Mame has mostly mix, but the soprano bits are wonderful.

And I'm sure someone has already recommended Glitter and Be Gay.

wickedwitchofthechest
#20re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:44pm

I adore "Art Is Calling"! I had so much fun with it.

I forgot to mention my new favorite soprano song: "Mr. Right" from Love life by Kurt Weill. You get to use the word Bogart-y. What could be more fun than that?

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

Jon
#21re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:47pm

"Show Me" from MY FAIR LADY.

"On the Steps of the Palace" from INTO THE WOODS

My Fair Lady
#22re: Soprano Uptempo
Posted: 10/30/05 at 7:57pm

My friend is using Show Me and she is AMAZING.

Videos