pixeltracker

if you were auditioning for merrily...

if you were auditioning for merrily...

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#0if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 10:11am

...we roll along, what song would you sing?

i am a female with a soprano/belt voice...and i am thinking of auditioning for this show, and was curious of what song some of you would use...

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

fiatlux
#1re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 10:16am

Is there a particular role that the audition is for or is it a general call, AndiV?

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#2re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 10:33am

general, i believe... and the audition is a little way off, but i'm just tossing the idea around.

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#3re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 11:07am

I did this show a couple of years ago - I played Beth and had a great time. I can't remember if I sang Another 100 People or Being Alive from COMPANY. I don't usually recommend that people do Sondheim for any auditions - but I happened to know the accompanist and knew she was capable. If you have that advantage I say go for it. I think Sondheim is tough music to play/sing and if you and the accompanist are capable then you can show the casting folks not only your vocal talent, but your musical ability. I am also a soprano/belter. I think either of the two songs above would be good. Being Alive gives you the opportunity to show off your emotional chops - Another 100 People the opportunity to show you can handle the wordy material that you find in most our Lord Sondheim's work. Good luck!

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

Bdwy24
#4re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 11:10am

After having just experienced Merrily auditions I would say definitley sing a Sondheim song (the piano player SHOULD be able to play this considering it is a Sondheim show). Also, I would pick a power ballad. Being Alive I guess would be perfect.

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#5re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 11:13am

I agree - the piano player should be able to play Sondheim...I have, however been to auditions (typically community theater productions) where the accompanist was NOT playing the show - just got called in to handle auditions. That could be a nightmare!

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#6re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 12:41pm

i know one of the original cast got the show by singing BE A LION.

Mind is Mantra.

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#7re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 12:50pm

great ideas!

beth is who i would expect to be cast as (if i were cast)...so those songs are great ideas.

anymore thoughts? for gussie-esque songs maybe?

apdarcey
#8re: if you were auditioning for merrily...
Posted: 12/19/05 at 12:58pm

there won't be trumpets.

Videos