News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Wicked in Washington D.C.

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#0Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:27pm

Here is an article I found about the advertisting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/16/AR2005121600384.html?sub=new

I read on Maria Eberline's site that The First Lady is rumored to have attended Opening Night.

I saw Footloose at the Kennedy Center many years ago. It is a neat place to see a show.

Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#1re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:41pm

Thanks for sharing, Cubbie :)

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#2re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:47pm

No problem..still waiting for a review. Can't wait to see if Stephanie is able to continue to be operatic! :)

thepopularone Profile Photo
thepopularone
#3re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:52pm

my friend saw it last night, im seeing it Jan. 7th and Jan. 11th, haha, didn't plan on them being that close together, but im still very excited.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#4re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:03pm

thepopularone - did your friend have anything to say about the lotto? The show?

cubbie - "operatic", indeed! HA

forgetregret
#5re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:23pm

Popular- did you hear that there is going to be a lotto? I called the Kennedy Center the other day and asked and they said there won't be one.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#6re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:27pm

I read that there will be on www.sjb-fans.com , but I don't know where the girl who runs the site got her info from.

Steph's official fan site Updated On: 12/22/05 at 01:27 PM

forgetregret
#7re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 1:56pm

That's strange. I don't know where that site gets its information but according to the Kennedy Center there unfortunately will not be a lotto.

VoiceofReason Profile Photo
VoiceofReason
#8re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 2:06pm

I was at opening night last night---I'll start off by saying that I have no idea whether or not the First Lady was there, and I doubt there was a lottery--the show has been sold out at the Kennedy Center for at least a month.
As for the show: I went with my parents and sister. I had seen the show on Broadway twice, once with the complete original cast, and once (with my parents) with Laura Bell Bundy as Glinda. This was my sister's first time, so I'll try and incorporate the different perspectives. I'm not going to do song by song, because that would just get redundant. Instead I'll just go over by character.

Elphaba (Stephanie Block)-- My thoughts: Overall she was wonderful. Her acting was superb, and her singing was glorious. My only regret was that I think the combination of saving some of her voice (they are doing two shows a day for the next three days, I believe) and the cavernous Opera House, in that her voice didn't seem to fill the house the way I expected, but in NO WAY does this mean I thought she was bad at all. (it might have also been a result of where we were sitting) My sister liked her a lot, but being used to the exccellent cast recording, I think was slightly dissapointed on Defying Gravity. 1) Stephanie didn't hit the money note (de-FY-ing gravity), she just sang it as it is earlier in the song, and 2) because of what I explained earlier about her voice not having that 'booming' quality. My parents however, loved her just as much, if not more than Menzel. My mom was especially grateful for the "lack of gasping" as she put it. Oy.

Glinda (Kendra): Can we say a-freaking-dorable! I could not get over how endearingly ADD, flighty, cute, bubbly she was. At first I was worried the choice would just get annoying, but it grows on you so quickly, that by popular you are just enamored with her! Her singing was very pretty, she excelled in Thank Goodness. I guess the thing I missed with both Stephanie and Kendra is that they often chose not to sustain notes. It wasn't a bad choice, I just personally prefer listening to the longer powerful sustained note. (The exception was No Good Deed, which was the by far best Stephanie number). My sister described Kendra in the first act as "Glinda on speed, and I liked it". The best part about her Glinda is that she is entirely relatable, despite these Mercury-like qualities.

Madame Morrible(Carole Shelley): She is perfection. She was flawless. I adore her.

Fiyero (Derrick Williams): His singing voice was not my favorite in the world, but it definitely was more appealing in ALAYM, than in DTL. His acting, however, I adored! I thought he really nailed the jokes, and was incredibly likable and genuine. Pleasantly surprised.

The Wizard: He was wonderful! (No pun intended, seriously) To me the wizard isn't the greatest part in the world, and I think he did all he could with it and was quite excellent.

Nessarose: Marie was on for Jenna. She was great, nothing really else to be said.

Boq (Logan Lipton): Not my favorite, but was fine. I just found his voice to be grating ocassionally, but I liked some of his nervous fidgeting for the part.

The Ensemble: BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO! They are tremendous! Truly an ensemble that mixes and blends beautifully. Ah! I can't get over how awesome they were.

Other notes:
Wonderful: I didn't realized that they changed the song to have a little more Elphaba/Wizard interaction. I liked the new version a lot!

For heaven's sake, don't try to be cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical. ~The Importance of Being Earnest~

anne3
#9re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 3:50pm

Anyone know when Derrick is leaving? Cause I heard his replacement joined up with the tour in Hartford, so I was curious when he would be starting....

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#10re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:31pm

Thanks for the review! I think they have sound problems sometimes when they get to a new town. I had trouble hearing Stephanie from the nosebleed seats in the first couple of songs and then they turned up her mic and it was much better.

apdarcey
#11re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:57pm

carol shelley is not morrible on the tour...

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#12re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:02pm

She is right now, actually. She's with the tour for a few weeks.

Edit: Seeing it tomorrow!
Updated On: 12/22/05 at 09:02 PM

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#13re: Wicked in Washington D.C.
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:23am

Shelley IS Morrible on the tour... she signed on for an 11 week stint.

Thank you for the review Voice... I'll be seeing it Christmas night with my fiance... he gave me the tickets as part of my holiday gift. I was so excited to hear that Carole was going to be back in the role of Morrible... can't wait to see her, again!

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge

Videos