pixeltracker

childrens musical with big orchestra

childrens musical with big orchestra

honk
#0childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 5:18pm

I don't know if this is the right place, but I am looking for a musical to do with a young performers community theater group and I know you are all experts! I am looking to cast a large number of 5-18 yr olds. (40-50 kids) We have a 30-40 piece orchestra who want to work with us. What show can we do?
Besides: Wizard of Oz, Annie, Joseph, Aladin, Sound of Music. Thank you so much. I love reading all of the posts.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#1re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 5:54pm

The Secret Garden

apdarcey
#2re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 5:56pm

children of eden

ToBeingAnUsForOnce Profile Photo
ToBeingAnUsForOnce
#3re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:02pm

The Wiz: the hip-hop version of the Wizard of Oz! Awesome play, and a heck of a lot of fun to do with a children's cast. I did it once when I was eight and I played Toto, it was my first play ever, and this year I happen to be doing it again and I got the role of the Scarecrow.

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#4re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:36pm

I second the secret garden!
This sounds like a great idea. I wish my town would do something like this, all our community theatres are really for adults. (They're doing the Full Monty now, and after I auditioned, they told me I was too young, blah)

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#5re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:49pm

Seussical?

grizzabella
#6re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 7:36pm

If you're willing to try an older show, "Oliver!" would qualify.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Joelbeans
#7re: childrens musical with big orchestra
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:01pm

I love the Secret Garden but after doing the show with three different companies, it is one of the harder musicals vocally. Maybe too hard for a total children's theatre group. I just musically directed Seussical where I teach and it is a great show. There are tons of parts for all ages, and the music is not too difficult. Most can be simplified, and it is a great show.

Videos