Miss Saigon...

erinrebecca
#25re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 7:13am

I was just listening to Miss Saigon last night! I love the music and wish I could see the show again, but only with Will Chase and Lea Salonga. They were absolutely perfect together in those roles.

veryownplanetz Profile Photo
veryownplanetz
#26re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 10:52am

omg Miss saigon is AMAZING
i love this show
I would love to BE in this show...as of course the only caucasion character, Kim...but wow this show has always had a special place in my heart

RentBoy86
#27re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 2:26pm

is "Please" only on the OLC?

eatlasagna
#28re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 2:51pm

PLEASE is also on the CSR... but the OLC version is so much more better than the CSR... and is it just me or is the OLC version much slower and more emtional then the CSR? it seems like whenever i see the show and listen to the CSR, PLEASE seems to be more of a dialogue rather than a song... did that make sense?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 3:07pm

as of course the only caucasion character, Kim...

What?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#30re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 3:59pm

Margaret Ann Gates was a FANTASTIC Ellen!

veryownplanetz Profile Photo
veryownplanetz
#31re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 4:07pm

oops i meant only caucasion woman role..my bad

LizzieCurry
#32re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 4:10pm

And I think you meant Ellen, not Kim.

eatlasagna
#33re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 5:24pm

i've heard Margaret Ann Gates as Ellen... she sounded awesome... also was told she was Christine in Phantom of the Opera in Toronto... anyone seen or heard her??? is she the only Asian woman to play that role (besides the Asian productions) in North America???

LizzieCurry
#34re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 5:27pm

is she the only Asian woman to play that role (besides the Asian productions) in North America???

I'm pretty sure she is. (And here's a pic of her as Christine.)
http://www.theatre-musical.com/phantom/gates.html

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#35re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 6:53pm

eatlasagna - "and is it just me or is the OLC version much slower and more emtional then the CSR?"

They changed the pace of the musical (and some songs) when it was reworked after the recording of the OLC. The London and Broadway productions reflected the rework immediately before it first opened on Broadway in April, 1991. In the Broadway production, you will notice that "Sacred Bird" finale was omitted and replaced with "Little God of My Heart" which was then replaced with the current "Finale."

Saw Margaret as Ellen and she was amazing....more compassionate and emotional vs. the strong-willed style from Ruthie. Both style were different and effective. Margaret also shed tears quite easily so it worked well with the audience.

*updated* - Charlene Carabeo had a chance to play Ellen on Broadway either during matinees or when Maragaret Gates or Ruthie Henshall was out.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 3/8/06 at 06:53 PM

eatlasagna
#36re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 8:20pm

i prefer miss saigon slowed up a bit more on certain songs... moreso with PLEASE... that song seems so rushed... sun and moon also seems rushed sometimes... oh well... still beautiful songs... oh miss saigon... i'm going to be a nerd and keep posting on this topic so it's always at the top... hahaha

#37re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 8:30pm

Lucy Vance is not asian in any way shape or form.
just FYI.

musicaltheater1
#38re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 8:47pm

Oops...you are right, Andrew. Lucy Vance is not asian "in any shape or form." Didn't realize they came in different shapes and forms. :) In any case, I was thinking of another ensemble from another play who's name is Lucy as well. I apologize.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 3/8/06 at 08:47 PM

#39re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 9:51pm

ahahahha...thats so funny.there actually ARE lots of different shapes and forms! LOL. i am sorry if you heard that as mean. i didn't mean it that way. its funny..in miss saigon..the girls who play ellen or who understudy ellen are known as "the white girls".
lucy was one of the white girls! thats all i was thinking of.
sorry if i hurt your feelings or anything. i didn't mean to.
=)

musicaltheater1
#40re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 10:05pm

Oh, you hush, Andrew. I'm not offended, and I am part asian. But thanks for apologizing. So there......some shape, form or part of me is asian. Now, I sound like a car with foreign parts.
re: Miss Saigon...

LizzieCurry
#41re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/8/06 at 10:11pm

Sharon Leal also understudied Ellen. I'm not sure if she ever went on, though.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0495095/

RentBoy86
#42re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:09am

Hm...anyone with the London version wanna burn me a copy? haha. Sorry, but I wanna get the Complete Cast Recording because its the "complete" version and its the version that is performed, but I love Lea's voice and I like the London version's Chris, but I dont wanna shill out 30 bucks for each. i'm a poor college student.

LizzieCurry
#43re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:22am

You shouldn't have to pay that much; it's been out for YEARS. Just buy it used.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#44re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 7:56am

I'm not all that familiar with the plot...what's going on during "I Still Believe" and at the end during the instrumentals?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

musicaltheater1
#45re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 11:30am

millie_dillmount - "I Still Believe" segment starts immediately after the couple (Kim & Chris) separates bec. of the war. The scene opens with Kim singing in dark and in the background you see a shanty filled with refugees. John Napier (set designer) is good in doing seamless transition in scene changes and in this segment, the scene splits and on the top of the shanty is a bedroom scene from the US. You see Ellen singing the same song to Chris. This is the first time the audience finds out Chris has remarried when he returned to the US. Kim does not know about the marriage. It ends with the 2 ladies singing the chorus together. The next scene transitions to the Engineer leading Thuy (the bad guy) to Kim.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#46re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:25pm

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this show since it was the first show I ever saw in Chicago. I still think "I'd Give My Life For You" is one of the best Act I closers ever!

#47re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:30pm

sharon leal was amazing!!!! i don't know if she went on as ellen but she kicked butt as Gigi and she also was an AMAAAAAAAAZING Mimi in Rent in San Fransisco. i love her!
musicaltheater..i am honorary filipino! =)

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#48re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:39pm

I was actually just listening to this show the other day. I think it's a show for younger people. Fluff, but fun fluff. I really liked it when I was younger, now I get bored during it pretty quickly, even the engineer's numbers (which are lyrically interesting but musically a little repetitive).

Here's a really funny article in the Times about all the old songs that Miss Saigon's score cribs (for example, Bu Doi = the Tara theme from Gone With the Wind)

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9D0CE2DB1031F93AA25756C0A967958260

yr ronin,
joey

musicaltheater1
#49re: Miss Saigon...
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:46pm

Has anyone seen the video of "Making of Miss Saigon?" Excellent documentary on how it was staged, auditions, opening night, etc.