LaCageFans: WELL Review

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#0LaCageFans: WELL Review
Posted: 3/14/06 at 12:03am

WELL Review

Some Off-Broadway theatre (“Doubt,” “Spelling Bee”) just screams out for a transfer to the Great White Way, and these types of shows move with ease and aplomb and they continue to have healthy, successful runs. Other works don’t necessarily shout out for a relocation of homes, but producers, devoted fans, and certain critics throw enough power and support behind a production that a false sense of realization takes hold. We saw it happen earlier this season with the one-joke “Souvenir” – and while Ms. Kaye gave us a smashing performance, the bulk of the material carried too much dead weight to fill a Broadway venue. Unfortunately we are seeing this trend reprise itself again nightly at the Longacre Theatre, a smaller Broadway venue (but nonetheless still too large for this venture), where “Well” by Lisa Kron (originally produced in the Public Theatre’s off-Broadway home) feels like it is trying on shoe that is entirely too big.

It is certainly with caution that “Well” inhibits an unfriendly territory; for it is obviously with great pride that Lisa Kron has constructed a theatrical world that insists on dejecting the urbane stand-up account of her life. However, in Ms. Kron’s play, she goes so far in the other direction that she confusedly takes apart her own casing as if they were bullets coming from every direction. Kron’s self-congratulatory chutzpah is further muddled by the absurd and rather awkward phrasing and overall timing of the piece. About fifteen minutes in one begins to think that stylish humorist that brought us “101 Humiliating Stories” and “ 2.5 Minute Ride” is gone but for good.

It is only when Jayne Houdyshell, as Ann Kron (Lisa’s mother), is allowed to take center stage that “Well” is just that. At all other times the evening seems to be running a fever it may never fully recover from. Ms. Houdyshell is detached from most of the action, which also features a lovely ensemble; typically sitting in a small living room set in a reclining chair. This may seem anemic, but it makes Ann and Ms. Houdysell’s interpretation all the more interesting as she continues to correct Lisa’s distortions of past memories.

And after ninety minutes of stopping and starting, and yes, more set screen droppings (oy!), one may forget what the evening is really all about. Or did we ever know in the first place? Is it the underlying theme of illness versus wellness? Is it a play about allergies? Is it telling the story of racial integration? Or is it an antiquated adaptation of a muddled mixture of these? A more intrigued audience member may be able to find the link, but if one really has to search that hard – it’s hardly worth it. For “Well” never seems to give off the sense of warm theatricality especially in just a cold space. Ms. Kron’s usual cleverness and witty repartee is muddled on a Broadway stage and that is truly unfortunate. If stronger heads would have prevailed “Well” could be having a healthy run somewhere off Broadway – instead it lingers in the big leagues just as a benched player who when given a real turn at bat, usually strikes out!

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#1re: LaCageFans: WELL Review
Posted: 3/14/06 at 2:03am

That's too bad you didn't like it. I've heard such good things about it from others. However, I can't really speak from experience as I live on the other side of the country. . . .

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: LaCageFans: WELL Review
Posted: 3/14/06 at 2:36am

I absoledly hated this show.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: LaCageFans: WELL Review
Posted: 3/14/06 at 2:57am

and totally agree with your review...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#4re: LaCageFans: WELL Review
Posted: 3/14/06 at 9:09am

It really is ashame because I wanted to like it after what I heard about it at the Public, but what I saw on Sunday evening was pure slop and a mess of a show. This show just doesn't belong on Broadway and it's quite obvious.