Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#0Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 9:48am

I saw the original of this show and whether you did see the original or you are a virgin at Brel, this revival stands up very well. The music stands the test of time and it is worth seeing with this cast.

Talk about emotional, basic human feelings and writing...this guy was amazing and although the original cast recording is a favorite, there is nothing better than hearing this music live.

This production adds some of his other music to the original content of the show, the songs are pretty appropriate.

Gay Marshall has a kick-butt delivery and a really strong voice and her French is impeccable. Robert Cuccioli (who you may know from Guys and Dolls and Jekyll and Hyde) is a younger Jerry Orbach. Very wry and great delivery. Natascia Diaz captures the poignancy and lets Brel speak for himself. Rodney Hicks is probably the weakest link though he is fine. He's just not as strong as I'd like him to be and he gets lost sometimes.

The theater is funky and really fun and the seats are more comfortable than seats in $250/ticket Broadway theaters.

It is a pleasure to hear people WHO CAN SING...well, to hear them SING, the way the music was meant to be sung.

'Old Folks' and 'Fanette' were standouts in particular, though there were many. The only two changes I wish they had not made were to cut 'The Desperate Ones' short and to change 'You're Not Alone' to a duet at the end. I think it works better as a solo and you lose some of the lyric and the desperation when the two of them start singing together. But there were no changes that HURT the show per se.

I wish Gay Marshall had sung 'If you go away' in English...one of my favorite songs!

Go see this show before it closes. It is wonderful.

P.S. There are a couple of spots in the theater with a restricted view (one is VERY restricted) so be sure to ask when you go to get tickets.

"Life is a lesson in humility"
Updated On: 3/19/06 at 09:48 AM

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#1re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:26pm

I have seen the revival twice, and noticed a lot of different things I had missed on the first viewing. On my first visit, I probably paid the least attention to Rodney Hicks. His character is the least damaged...at least on first exposure. On my second visit, I focused more on his songs and what he was saying. He's definitely not a weak link, in my opinion. He just doesn't have the flashiest role. His portrayal of everymother's son/soldier just about broke my heart with the line "I died because I couldn't help it".

This show is so layered. I can't wait to see it again and discover what other treasures are there to be uncovered.

Memo to self: Start signing up for OT shifts now to underwrite Jacques Brel addiction.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 1:49pm

Just bought my wife yesterday Man of La Mancha in French with Jacques Brel & Joan Diener. She speaks french & lived in france for a year so it made sense

Would like to get back there next year for a week . Hopefully the rioting will have stopped by than. My wife says this reminds her of when she stayed over there while studing at the Sorbonne

We see the show in 2 weeks. Toying with the idea of approaching Cuccioli & saying (with my head held up ) I really enjoyed your performance. I then move my head downward ( ala Edward Hyde ) & say no I did not. I then repeat it. I would love to but I won't

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/19/06 at 01:49 PM

Shoshana's Future Ex Profile Photo
Shoshana's Future Ex
#3re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 2:28pm

Well dang!

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#4re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 5:37pm

Actually I didn't say Rodney was a weak link, I said he was the WEAKEST link of all the actors on the stage, but I also said he was fine. In my opinion, he got lost among the rest of the players at times.

I do agree that his portrayal of The Statue was good, and as an inserted song it definitely fit. Actually, the songs where I thought he was more of a standout were 'Next', 'Madeleine' and 'The Bulls'

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#5re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 5:58pm

My bad. I read your post too quickly and didn't mean to misinterpret what you said.

In the end, the specialness of the show at The Zipper is due to the chemistry that happens when a director with a vision and a musical director/arranger who is inspired are given four outstanding actors with whom to work. What's on that stage is bigger than the sum of its parts.

SamIAm...you and I must be in the ballpark of the same age range since we both saw the original, as are several others who have posted in an earlier thread. I'm finding it interesting that I respond to the same songs differently with more of life under my belt. I'm anxious to hear feedback from more of the younger people who go, and see what songs have an impact on them.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

Bdwyguy30 Profile Photo
Bdwyguy30
#6re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/19/06 at 10:14pm

Updated On: 3/19/06 at 10:14 PM

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#7re: Jacques Brel - A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:43pm

Ifit: One note about the audience age. When we first got seated in the theater, I noticed a lot of people in their fifties etc and I was not surprised because I had considered that many younger people might not KNOW this music and therefore might not rush to see the revival.

I do hope that the word of mouth and press will change that, but I must say that there were some younger people dragged by their parents and even some late twenties/early thirties people in couples who obviously got the news.

My thought is that some younger people may have heard this played on vinyl in their houses growing up and I hope that they will spread the news.

Videos