Show People Magazine...GONE :?

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:57am

Is this magazine not being published anymore?

Facebook...ME !!!

#1re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:13am

*shrugs* The last issue I received was with Cynthia Nixon on the cover promoting Rabbit Hole. The magazine comes quarterly, right?

~Rosalynn

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#2re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:15am

Yeah because I tried to get a subscription and it said subscriptions are no longer available.

Facebook...ME !!!

Broadway_Boy
#3re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 5:52am

There's one more magazine being released and than its gone.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 05:52 AM

denise2
#4re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:06am

bummer!

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#5re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:34am

MAN THAT SUCKS !!!!!

BIG TIME...I love this magazine and I look forward to it so much.

I wish they had sold the magazing somewhere like at Barnes and Noble.

Facebook...ME !!!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:50am

Wait. Can I get a refund for the rest of my subscription? I paid for a full year (4 issues) and I got the Patrick Wilson one and the Cynthia Nixon one. So there's only one more? Man.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#7re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:52am

Thats what I'm saying'

"I JUST WANNA KNOW WHERE DA GOLD AT?"....oh I had to say that because...I don't know why.

Facebook...ME !!!

#8re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 12:39pm

That's so disappointing. I love that magazine! I wonder why they decided to fold? Not enough demand?

~Rosalynn

MargoChanning
#9re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 12:46pm

It doesn't seem that there's enough of an audience (or advertising support) for a mainstream theatre-related magazine nationally. Show People is just the latest in a series of failed attempts over the last couple of decades that I can recall. Playbill Magazine (which you can also subscribe to) does fine obviously because nearly every Broadway theatre uses it as a program, so it automatically sells millions of copies a year. Otherwise you have small press scholarly magazines like American Theatre and Sondheim Review which have very modest circulations.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#10re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 12:50pm

If there was not enough demand, there certainly wasn't enough marketing behind it. You have to market it in order to obtain demand. Word of mouth just isn't enough. But I understand marketing costs a lot of money. Too bad.

AugustusGloop
#11re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:02pm

The magazine's demise was certainly the result of all the reasons mentioned. However, I think the biggest contributing factor was the fact that it was published by Clear Channel Entertainment, which of course no longer exists. With no one to pay the costs of publishing, you have no magazine.

RentBoy86
#12re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:15pm

Sondheim Review? what's that about? any link to either of those magazines Margo?

MargoChanning
#13re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:42pm

http://www.sondheimreview.com/

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#14re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:57pm

I know Border's carries the Sondheim magazine, but I never saw Show People in it...

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#15re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 3:56pm

Clear Channel isn't around anymore?

WHAT ?

I swear alot of the entertainment here in Birmingham, AL. is done through Clear Channel still.

Facebook...ME !!!

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#16re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:24pm

From the Mission Statement on their website:

"Show People is the first magazine about live theater...created for people who are passionate about the theater experience."

Are they kidding? TheaterWeek? InTheater? PLAYBILL?

Becky
#17re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 4:51pm

It also seemed to be a problem because of the long gap in issues. By the time the next one is published a lot of the information is already old news - and often times shows/performers spotlighted either were cancelled or recast by the time the mag hit the stands. In the age of the internet, news is instant online. Theater magazines are hard to push because of it.

Speaking of ShowPeople, I would also liked to have seen more of the core Broadway performers featured instead of the big "names" that seemed to be the selling point.
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 04:51 PM

RentBoy86
#18re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 6:00pm

I agree Becky.

I find the Sondheim Review magazine odd. How is it that a magazine dedicated to Sondheim and only Sondheim can be successful but a very broad - and interesting - magazine about theater fail? Weird. I really liked Show People, but they're info was old. It was still interesting to read and see the pictures though. I feel like there is enough theater news to where they could release the magazine by weekly or at least monthly.

Hester Prynne Profile Photo
Hester Prynne
#19re: Show People Magazine...GONE :?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 6:03pm

ruprecht, you brought back some memories. I completely forgot about TheaterWeek. I used to love that magazine!

MassOfMen on 5/17/07: "and lastly, I have no vested interest in LB. I have seen the show, I paid my money (a lot of money for that tix) I didn't watch it on a bootleg, yes I saw the flesh and bone of the people up there working their tails off. But do I really have to explain myself to you? are you the judge jury and executioner of Bwyworld.com message board? no. But I digress, I will leave this subject as I am bored of the rebuttals anyway, and go back to "wasting my time" with the job of building buildings. We have chat boards for architects as well, ya know."

Videos