spelling bee quote?

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#0spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:46pm

alrighty so i'm totally blanking on one of my favorite spelling bee quotes right now - olive is talking about how if you took the silent letters from certain words you could spell something but no one would ever hear you cause it would be silent

can anyone help?!?! thanks!!!

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#1re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:52pm

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent."

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#2re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 1:27pm

It's one of my favorites also. I also like the "Oh yea! Well if you switch the first two vowels in the name William it becomes...William."

Creative Lunatic
#3re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 4:13pm

I heard the one and only-- original William Barfee-Dan Fogler came back last week to see Spelling Bee for the first time from the audience. He was so proud of the cast and got such a kick out of seeing everyone.
I wondered if anyone here spotted him since I heard he spoke with whoever approached him.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#4re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 4:38pm

When was he there?

alli2
#5re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:01pm

has anyone seen the Miniwheats commercial? It's a little girl in a spelling bee and her word is Aardvark... She goes, "A-R.." Then the miniwheat on her microphone tells her to think, and she goes back and says "A-A-R-D-V-A-R-K" and she gets it right. Is the sequence of letters-rule a real rule for spelling bees? I found that funny...

Creative Lunatic
#6re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:09pm

Liotte--I think it was a week ago last Thursday
Alli--I also saw that commercial and made the same comment---

to paraphrase Barfee --She should've been disqualified for that
If you start to spell a word--you can start over--but the sequence of the letters cannot be changed....
Give her the bell.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#7re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:10pm

Dan was great in the show, but I really like Josh's portrayal of Barfee.

ThatsBarfee
#8re: spelling bee quote?
Posted: 4/15/06 at 3:20am

Cool, you know I saw Fogler back in December perform and after the show I saw him standing alone outside, so I went over and talked with him for a couple of minutes. He was so cool and awesome, he gave me his autograph, i got a picture with him, and he was the nicest broadway star i've ever met. I miss him!

Videos