pixeltracker

FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY- Page 2

FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#25re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 9:27pm

To be honest, I don't see why they didn't give the "Pirate Jenny" to Lauper.

If they did it purposely for Lotte Lenya, I think Cyndi is a big enough name to have the number given to her. Also, she could sell the hell out of that song (just bring back the old lyrics).

It makes perfect sense. Instead of Polly singing the song herself, she could begin to tell the story of Jenny and then Jenny can appear as a figment of her imagination to sing the song.

But, that would mean Shawn would have to re-write the scene and I feel there's not enough time to do this. I feel the show is pretty set in how it's going to play.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

BSoBW2
#26re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:07pm

Well, they'd never use the original lyrics.

But I'd prefer both Polly and Jenny to sing the song, then just Jenny.

Though I'd love to hear Cyndi sing the song, I like when Polly sings it. It really foreshadows her taking over Macheath's gang and them taking her away from her parents...sort of.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#27re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:26pm

When Lotte Lenya originated the role of Polly in 1928, she sang "Pirate Jenny". As the years went on and she began ton play Jenny, she refused to give up the song. That's why she (and several other Jennys, such as Ellen Greene and Betty Buckley) have done the song is past productions. Maureen McGovern (as Polly) sang it in the 1989 production.

Wallace Shawn is a major purist. He would NEVER give Jenny the song.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#28re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:27pm

True.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#29re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:33pm

PS: I saw Wallace Shawn exiting the theatre with Scott Elliot behind him.

Did anyone else recognize his voice during "How Do Human's Live?"

BSoBW2
#30re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:34pm

Yup! HE says it twice.

And he also begins the show when he says, "Places"

I love him, as an actor. He's always been the one where you say "Oh, I recognize him and THAT voice" but you never know his name!

melissa errico fan
#31re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:36pm

Wallace Shawn is there every night. He usually runs backstage between act breaks to give notes to the performers.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#32re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:37pm

And the barrage of phone ringing that they play before the show begins is genius. As soon as they played it, I saw at least twenty people checking their phones.

BSoBW2
#33re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:40pm

mef - that makes sense.

When I was there the guy behind me said, "look at wallace. thinks he's so great...but he shouldn't. I don't like this translation at all. Not like the Blitzstein. Now THERE'S a good translation."

I turned and saw a huge crowd...but didn't see him.

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#34re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:43pm

When Lotte Lenya originated the role of Polly in 1928, she sang "Pirate Jenny".

Didn’t Lenya play Jenny in the original production? I was under the impression Lenya’s association with the song came from recordings and the film, not the original stage production.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#35re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/15/06 at 11:43pm

Hmm. I would figure Elliot would be giving the majority of the notes.

Brennan88 Profile Photo
Brennan88
#36re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:23am

NCguy, you are correct. The opening night program in Berlin lists a Roma Bahn as Polly, and in fact due to an error does not list Lenya at all, though she did in fact play Jenny.

Here's Lenya's own words about Jenny/Pirate Jenny as quoted in "Lenya The Legend, A Pictorial Autobiography:"

You can't connect the song "Pirate Jenny" to the character of Jenny in Threepenny Opera. The two have nothing to do with each other. Jenny sings "Pirate Jenny" only in the Blitzstein version. In the original version, Brecht's version, Jenny doesn't sing it, Polly does...in the stable scene when Macheath asks, "isn't there any entertainment?" Yes, I know it's become my song, but that's because of the records of it I made in 1930. But originally, Polly sings it as a piece of entertainment in a stable scene. She says, "If nobody else will do anything, I'll sing you a song about a girl in a little waterfront dive. Of course, I've never been there." "Pirate Jenny" has nothing whatsoever to do with Jenny's revenge. I think we should just leave Jenny alone-she's done well over those years. Don't try to pluck it like a chicken, you know? Until nothing is left.

So as much as I would love to hear Lauper sing the song, I'm glad they're sticking with the original intent. Perhaps she'll tackle it on her own one day. We can only hope.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#37re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:14am

I'd suggest you look further into Brechtian techniques. You can enjoy a Brecht sow without being familiar with his life and conventions, but knowing them makes it all the better.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

toomeytwopiece Profile Photo
toomeytwopiece
#38re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:53am

Cyndi and I are both in the Moritat - they took me out of my wig and I am the last one to join the line in the opening...

I come out in my regular hair... with my wig prep band on...

also, Wally doesn't give us notes backstage - he hangs out and is so happy and supportive... he's really a wonderful guy and I think he has great courage to write the translation the way he did... the Blitzstein was great but wouldn't be as relevant today... I think he's done a great job BECAUSE it's pissed people off re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY

As for Production pics... I was not invited to the photo call... They didn't need pics of me I guess... though it kind of stinks because just for my own sake I have no pics to remember... and just for the design element of Lucy, it would have been nice too - I think visually, it's one of costume and wig designs' great achievements in establishing a character. I am quite happy with it :)

Updated On: 4/16/06 at 02:53 AM

melissa errico fan
#39re: FOAnatic sees THREEPENNY
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:13am

I would assume the reason that there are no Lucy pictures in the gallery is because they want to preserve the element of surprise when the audience first sees Lucy in Act Two. I've seen the show three times now and every time Rooney makes his entrance, there has been a bit of an audible gasp.

I believe they did a similar thing by withholding pictures of the lizard costumes for a while during SEASCAPE.

also, Wally doesn't give us notes backstage - he hangs out and is so happy and supportive...

My bad...I was out having a cigarette the other night during intermission and I thought I saw him go through the stage door with a legal pad. I just assumed.
Updated On: 4/16/06 at 07:13 AM