News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The future of Hairspray!

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#0The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:19pm

The National Equity tour ends this summer. I'm told that at this point, a Non-Equity tour will begin.
Exactly how does this work?
Will the show be an identical mounting, or a separately licensed production like the one in Finnland?
How long will it last?
Updated On: 4/16/06 at 12:19 PM

Thesbijean
#1re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:22pm

Finland has one N.

Totally up to the producers.

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#2re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:23pm

really? well, now I feel stupid. Good thing Finland doesn't come up in everyday conversation!

Thesbijean
#3re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:24pm

I know. It really should.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:29pm

You Should hear "Welcomt to the 60's"
in Finnish!

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#5re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:32pm

check it out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uPk-Agx9rWQ&search=hairspray

the Dynamites are . . . um . . .interesting, to say the least.

Joshua488
#6re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 12:46pm

I believe the non-Equity national tour will be identical to the current Equity tour.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#7re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:40pm

I am holding out for a good Spanish Speaking or Japanese cast of the show.. I'd be in Heaven.

I think "Hairspray" the show.. will continue for a good couple more years (at least at the Neil Simon). If the movie is a sucess... more people are inclined to go see it - whether it be the tour or the Broadway show.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#8re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:45pm

I completely agree with mateo...with the movie due out next year I think it will bring a lot of business to Hairspray. Plus, as much as I HATE stunt casting, Diana Degarmo is really filling the seats at the Neil Simon so I think that stunt casting will continue at Hairspray, which may give it more time on Broadway.

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#9re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:48pm

oh I hate stunt casting aswell... oh my god i hate it. Unless It really works.. but throwing any hollywood star in a show to save it - is just so wrong.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

JustChillin8908
#10re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:49pm

I wouldn't exactly call Diana Degarmo stunt casting. Although from what I hear she's supposed to be great, I'd love to see her before she leaves or even after the Brooklyn tour (which I also want to see).

Joshua488
#11re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:51pm

Diana DeGarmo may have been stunt casting, but she was the best Penny Pingleton I've seen. And since I haven't seen any heavy advertising with her name, such as "Hairspray, now starring DIANA DeGARMO!", part of me thinks that she was cast because she was actually best for the role.

JustChillin8908
#12re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:53pm

The only heavy advertising I've heard about is the obnoxious radio commercial people were talking about. Which I can't imagine was her decision.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#13re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:55pm

Joshua - thats true If they really wanted to market the show.. there would ba amuch bigger advertising campaign about it.

She really does really seem 'apart' of the cast rather than an outsider brought in.

I really want to hear her sing. I have seen little clips.. but not enough to really see how she is.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

Joshua488
#14re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:55pm

Oh. I haven't heard this radio ad.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#15re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 1:56pm

wow.. I say really... way tooooooo much. one time was an accident. but wow... 'Oh california speech.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#16re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:00pm

just got tix today for Hairspray at the Pantages in June.

I do not like what I see of the Finnish production...a skinny Tracy? a skinnY Motormouth Mabel? And where's the three-girl black back-up singers???? They have skinny white ones....
and Edna DOES look like Divine.....scares me!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

JustChillin8908
#17re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 2:03pm

"Oh. I haven't heard this radio ad."

I haven't heard it either, but here's the thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=889636

TakeMeOrLeaveMe2 Profile Photo
TakeMeOrLeaveMe2
#18re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 3:32pm

the finland thing hasta be the WORST thing ive ever scene before in my entire life! Tracy is skinny!!!

"I know every step i know every song i know theres a place where i belong!!!"-Good Morning Baltimore

#19re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:28pm

For those who want to hear Diana (go somewhere!)

Does anyone know when she is leaving. I wanna go see her badly, she sounds pretty awesome in this clip, if you ask me. Imagen her ONCE UPON A TIME- oh man.
Updated On: 4/16/06 at 07:28 PM

willact4food
#20re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:30pm

She's leaving May . . . 14th I believe.
Then she's doing the BKLYN tour and then will come back to Hairspray, according to her.

Joshua488
#21re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:30pm

Diana DeGarmo's last day is Sunday, May 14.

I know this because I have tickets for Tuesday, May 16 and I'm sad that I won't get to see her again. Updated On: 4/16/06 at 07:30 PM

JustChillin8908
#22re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:33pm

"For those who want to hear Diana--- here's a clip:"

Isn't that a bootleg? (aka not allowed on these boards)

willact4food
#23re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:34pm

haha, didn't even think about that.
yeah, clumsydude should probably remove that.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#24re: The future of Hairspray!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:38pm

It's on YouTube, a legit site which BroadwayWorld has no affliation with. I wouldn't worry about it.

Videos