Making for cool NY trip

momtobwwannabee
#0Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/2/06 at 11:43pm

Anyone have suggestions for anything else cool to do in NYC that a tourist would not find? (Other than regular Broadway shows) Anyone have any Cabaret ideas? Be in city from June 4th - 10th. Thanks

gavrochegirl
#1re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/2/06 at 11:46pm

I would suggest Mano Felciano's cabaret at Joe's Pub, but it's sold out. There's a calendar that shows all the happenings around town that's here somewhere...

What the puck?!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:02am

I arrive June 4, too!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

momtobwwannabee
#3re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:11am

What have you planned to do?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:32am

well I'm there for the ATW's springboard program so I don't know my schedule yet. on the one or two free days I have I'm meeting friends and seeing shows.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

#5re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:39am

thursdays:
seths chatterbox at dont tell mamas
broadway show league softball in central park

FeelingElectric
#6re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 6:28am

I was going to suggest the show leauge as well. I am seeing the Lestat vs. The Wedding Singer game on Thursday. I would also suggest The Wedding Singer performance Thursday morning on the Today show at Rockefeller Center (although that is a little touristy).I will be arriving on the 6th.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#7re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:22pm

What else is a must see in NYC? Every time I go it's usually just to check out the latest shows. I'll be there June 15-17 and have a lot of free time to do other things. Someone suggested to me the South Street Market...or something along the name of that...any other suggestions?

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."

#8re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:26pm

i find it very funny when people ask what else there is to do. its nyc, if you cant find something to do its your own fault. But for others to give suggestions, you gotta give us a hint...

Touristy things?
Shopping?
Art/Historic/Science Museums?
Music/Movies/Comedy/Poetry?
Late Night/Clubbing/Drinking?
Free?

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#9re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:33pm

ANYTHING!

two college boys in the city for two nights

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."

#10re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:55pm

For touristy things, Ride The BEAST, which is a speed boat ride around the city. NY SKYRIDE at the Empire State Building is a simulator tour of nyc. Both lesser known than the usual.

Definitely head downtown to the Village at some point, St Marks Place has some interesting shops. ... From there you can go to Pomme Frite on 3rd ave, a place that serves only fries and about a billion toppings. Then you can go to the Nuyorican for a poetry slam on 3rd & avenue B. Or you can head to Bleeker Street for some well known hole in the wall bars like Off The Wagon and The Bitter End. Or go to Bowlmor for some midnight bowling. I highly suggest the Museum of Sex.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:58pm

Is there a Broadway or theatre museum?

--Aristotle

Yankeefan007
#12re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 1:00pm

The Museum of the City of New York has a gallery devoted to the history of theater, I believe.
http://www.mcny.org/exhibitions/current/64.html Updated On: 6/3/06 at 01:00 PM

LifeoftheParty227 Profile Photo
LifeoftheParty227
#13re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 4:01pm

ooh, that museum looks amazing. I'll be in the big NYC on June 11th. I'm interning at PLUS Entertainment which produced Bat Boy (I heard the OBC Album and I love it).

But, it's my first time in NY so I'll need to make it count.

momtobwwannabee
#14re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/3/06 at 11:45pm

thank you all so much for the ideas. Any other cool shopping for teen girls? Anyone know about anything Sinatra other than memorabilia at Colony Records?

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#15re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/4/06 at 12:08am

Parks are fun. You can find a list of them at nycgov.parks.org

Go to Little Italy. littleitalynyc.gov

Go to a burough that you've never been to. I'm assuming you haven't explored them all. If nothing else utilize the MTA's services and get off in a borough you've never visited, take a picture, and then go somewhere else.

I'm really just thinking of free things to do...because thats how I think. Fun things for free are a huge bonus. And NYC offers a lot of them, but you really have to live in the city to know about a lot of the stuff.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

joanna2
#16re: Making for cool NY trip
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:49am

My friends and I capped off our evenings (each night, both trips) at Latitude. It's a nice little bar at 8th and 47th (I believe.) We always had a place to sit down and drink til we couldn't walk anymore. I'll go back there every time I visit NYC.