Albee @ History Boys

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 12:39am

FYI: Two nights ago, Edward Albee was at THE HISTORY BOYS.

The show was amazing and the set was outstanding.

That is all, but MUCH more to tell later...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 12:42am

Couldn't see much of the set from where I was sitting. Obstructive much?

~Steven

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#2re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 2:43am

Did he like it? I met him a few months ago and he was an extremely nice guy. Kind of full of himself, but he's EDWARD ALBEE!!!!!!!, so who cares.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#3re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:27am

I was in an off broadway show at this theatre in the lower west side and he was there one day. I didn't talk to him though.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#4re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:29am

several people to my right were griping about the obstructed view. i'm glad i had already got my tickets so i was closer to the center!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:33am

I saw this last week, and was lucky enough to snag front Mezz seats, which is definitely the way to go with those sight lines.

I enjoyed the play a lot. I didn't love it as much as I thought I would; I think it's probably a little overhyped at this point. But obviously, the acting is superb, the ensemble ideal, and the play probably the best of this rather tepid season for dramatic theatre.

I'm curious what they do with the upcoming film version as I actually think alot of the subtle ideas of the piece will be better realized in that medium.

meloyelo
#6re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 1:27pm

saw him speak at the center for communication several months back and he is not only a great playwright, but sharp and charismatic in his own right

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Albee @ History Boys
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:18pm

I sat in the VERY LAST ROW dead center. I could see everything JUST FINE except for the video screen. I couldn't see 30% of the top, which means at times some heads weren't see. But it's only the video screen (like a movie theatre screen), you can see all the actors fine. Great even.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Videos