pixeltracker

classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!

classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!

wickedbway Profile Photo
wickedbway
#0classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:24pm

Sorry for not putting this on student board, I just tend to get a lot more responses/more experienced opinions on this one. And I know its kind of similar to another message, but again - more responses. etc.

Anyways, I've been working with a classical voice teacher for a few years doing choir stuff and now opera type vocal training. Its been really good because my teachers have been awesome about the health of my voice. The problem is that I've been auditioning and getting into shows through belting (in past auditions ive done "A Change in Me", "I Get a Kick out of You", "My New Philosophy" and "I Won't Say I'm in Love"). I got a really good role this year too (the voice of Audrey II) and the part was all really high belting and rocking out/ soulful singing.

NONE of that has been the type of stuff I've been doing in voice lessons. My teachers aren't concerned with the health of my voice because I've bridged a few of the techniques over, but there's still a great difference between the classical and the strong belty stuff.

When I start auditioning for colleges, I want to have one solid, stong voice. I won't know which "voice" to sing in, because both are strong in their own ways. There's too much of a difference between the two sounds. In terms of auditioning for colleges and making an impression, does anyone have any advice??

Thanks

colleen_lee
#1re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:29pm

Most schools are going to require more than one audition piece, so do one of each. There is nothing wrong with having more than one style, it demonstrates versatility. (i.e. Kelli O'Hara who went from very legit soprano for Piazza to a sultry mezzo/belt in Pajama Game)

And it depends on the specific major you're looking at. If you're going for musical theater then you can get away with some belty stuff (though a lot of schools aren't big on bringing really contemporary stuff in for auditions), but if you're just going for a general music performance then most schools are only going to accept legit literature. You'll have to investigate the schools you're auditioning for.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Caleb
#2re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 12:09am

Colleen_Lee is correct, you'll probably have to do more than one piece, so use it as an opportunity to demonstrate some versatility. This is something that will help you in the real world.

I would also advise you to think of the different styles as all part of one voice, because they really are. They should all be the result of more or less the same process, with only a few technical modifications in producing the sound. If your means of production are radically different, you might work with your teacher on a little more consistency in your overall sound. But all the sounds you can produce are part of one voice. Just think of them as different shades. It's the way that you can have tons of shades of red, but they're all still red. You can sing with a classical shade, or with a more poppy legit sound (like Light in the Piazza), or a mixey belt, or a full chest belt. They all come from you, and they are all you. Just don't reach for anything that's beyond you. That's why you're continuing vocal training in college. It's also a good thing to keep in mind at your audition. People might ask all sorts of questions at college auditions, and if they ask what you'd like to work on through your vocal instruction, this might be something to bring up. You obviously are able to discuss it intelligently. Many young singers wouldn't be aware of this difference, let alone be so open to suggestions on how to improve. Lots of young singers fall into the trap of saying "This is my classical voice, and this is my belt voice." While they're different, they're not completely separate.

BSoBW2
#3re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 1:35am

Wait. You are a girl voicing Audrey II?

RentBoy86
#4re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 1:43am

That's exactly what I was thinking BSoBW2

Stagerage2003 Profile Photo
Stagerage2003
#5re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 1:45am

If you audition for College Musical Theatre Programs you should do something that shows your range and your abilities as a singer AND actor.

Sing one uptempo pop/broadway song, and then a classical / operatic ballad.

NYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
#6re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 2:08am

It depends on the type of program you are auditioning at as well. Try to get into contact with people from specific schools, and see what they as a program lean toward. Some are more contemp and some are more legit/classical based.

Anything you need to know about auditioning and schools, just ask!

"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked

wickedbway Profile Photo
wickedbway
#7re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 1:27pm

Thanks so much! this has been marvelously helpful.

And yes, I am a white chick who did the voice of Audrey II re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!

it was the most fun I've ever had. I did everything an octave higher, with some of my own modifications. I'm gonna be putting a picture from our production as my icon soon so you guys can check it out. it was so much fun.

wickedbway Profile Photo
wickedbway
#8re: classical VS. belty style (for auditions) PLEASE help!
Posted: 6/18/06 at 1:37pm

PS:

NYUstud- I couldnt help but view your profile and notice you were a sophomore at steinhardt. First of all, one of my friends I believe is in your class. I recently saw her in Into The Woods there - she went to my high school. Also, any tips you could drop about auditioning for steinhardt would be excellent. Thats like my dream school.

thanks again for your advice!

Videos