News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#0New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:54pm

Stephanie just got back from a little trip to Ireland and here is a pic and an article from the time she was there. This article is from unison.ie??

"THE DUO behind multi-million-euro show 'Riverdance' are preparing to make their maiden voyage with a new big-budget musical production based on the life of 16th-century Irish pirate Grace O'Malley.

Final rehearsals of 'The Pirate Queen' are under way in Dublin before Moya Doherty and John McColgan set off for the United States, where their show will premiere in Chicago in October.

The producers said the first step towards creating the musical began four years ago when Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, authors of 'Les Miserables' and 'Miss Saigon', agreed to write it.

"The ship is about to sail for a foreign port and we are looking forward to the rest of the journey," McColgan said.

The musical tells the extraordinary life of Grace O'Malley, also known as Granuaile, who led a band of pirates from Galway and went on to become a chieftain. It will open in Chicago in October before moving to Broadway.

"We wanted an Irish story that had a resonance, we wanted something that could travel internationally," Doherty said.

"And I think that what has happened with this Grainne is that she has become sort of a female iconic role model really, and I think there is great interest in North America in the character of Granuaile because they don't know anything about her and they are amazed that she actually existed."

On its potential for success on the US stage, she said: "You can never tell with these things but the quality of the work is very good and we are very pleased with where we are at the moment."

The musical, which is being directed by Tony award-winner Frank Galati, will feature a cast of 40 people.

Doherty, who hopes to bring the musical back to Ireland eventually, said that a number of talented Irish musicians have been working on the show.

Our picture shows Linda Balgord (left), who plays Queen Elizabeth, and Broadway star Stephanie J Block who will have the role of Granuaile."

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#1re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:04pm

VERY cool! I am very excited for this musical re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo) I hope it does well. With all the talent behind it, I know it will be great.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

#2re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:22pm

Does anyone know where and when this will hit Broadway? I had heard it was aiming for the Hilton in the fall, but that's unlikely if The Grinch follows Hot Feet there.

Starlight2 Profile Photo
Starlight2
#3re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/8/06 at 3:27am

The Pirate Queen will be at the Cadillac Palace Theatre in Chicago from Oct. 3 - Nov. 26. As far as I know it's scheduled to go to Broadway in early 2007...I'm not sure of the exact date. Like you, I've heard that it's going to be at the Hilton. Hope that helps!

"But never lose track of who you are because you have to look at yourself in the mirror every day and you have to feel good about the way you behaved." --Linda Balgord

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#4re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/8/06 at 2:12pm

Hilton Theatre with previews in January and opening in February 2007. I don't know if that's set in stone yet but that's the latest I've heard.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#5re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:26pm

re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)

Bumping this cause I just came across this other picture. That's Hadley Fraser, right? How CUTE are they?!?

ThankstoPhantom
#6re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:41pm

I'm actually excited about this show...it'll be a good show for the spring, from what the publicity promises it to be.

My friend at school is actually a descendent of Grace O'Malley, so my interest in this show is even more grounded.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#7re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:51pm

I.CANNOT.WAIT! For this musical! re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo) Sooo excited!

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#8re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:52pm

I.CANNOT.WAIT! For this musical! re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo) Sooo excited! Any news on when it might open on Broadway?

Marguerite Chauvelin
#9re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:56pm

I can't wait either. I love Jeff McCarthy.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#10re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/12/06 at 11:02pm

EponineThenardier - I THINK previews start sometime in January.

brdlwyr
#11re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/13/06 at 12:18am

I really look forward to it. Stephanie is beautiful. I worked with Linda Belgord (sp) in a show years ago!
Updated On: 7/13/06 at 12:18 AM

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#12re: New Pirate Queen article (with Photo)
Posted: 7/13/06 at 6:02am

Hadley is such a nice guy to work with...and sooooooo talented. Wish him all the best in his Broadway adventure!!!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Videos