Martin Short: Fun Becomes Us

BSoBW2
#0Martin Short: Fun Becomes Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:00am

What do titty-loving babies, hippies, angels, Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, and big black ladies have in common? Well, nothing. But they sure do make for a completely entertaining evening. Martin Short has really struck a comedic nerve with his new show Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me, or as the ushers MUST say, “Martin Short: Fame Becomes Him, and only him.”

To say I had a good time would be a gross understatement. I had a complete blast and have never laughed so hard in my life. From the black lady exclaiming how she told Chita Rivera to “dance, bitch!” to, well, a black lady putting that cracker-ette Sutton Foster in her place, this show is a solid 2 hours of nothing but fun, fun, fun.

We all know, by now, that Short has mixed truth with tale. And that’s what makes this show special. It is a show! We learn more about Short from his fake life than we would from his real life. But Martin Short is not the star, more the lead. He is surrounded by a cast of very able actors who do impressions ranging from Jennifer Holiday to Britney Spears to Celine Dion to Ellen DeGeneres to Liza Minnelli to Judy Garland to Marc Shaiman’s behind.

The show not only makes itself original and uses Short’s skits, but also mocks other shows like Hair, A Chorus Line, Company, Chicago, Wicked, and more. The show makes a giant out of Tommy Tune and a cigarette-death out of Bob Fosse (both played by the unmatched Brooks Ashmanskas). Ashmanskas is surrounded by two beautiful and talented actresses, Mary Birdsong and Nicole Parker, who both do some mahvelous impersonations. And we cannot forget composer/lyricist/etc/etc, Marc Shaiman (I must give big props to the exciting music and hilarious lyrics – Whittman helped!) – who not only plays piano but acts and sings and often at the same time! But the REAL scene stealer is the curvaceous, Capathia Jenkins – who gets the show stealing number, “Steal the Show.”

If I had one complaint, it would be this show is way too short. They could have gotten away with a longer show. Though it is 2 hourse, it goes TOO fast. Damn entertainment!

To anyone who attempts a one man show – let’s see them try to “top that, motherf******!”

So go see this show, Short fan, tall fan, or just a plain ol’ musical fan!

P.S. Be careful, audience!

P.P.S. I hope a CD is made!

Updated On: 8/21/06 at 12:00 AM

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#1re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:04am

*Loved* this show. re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#2re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:26am

Do they have student rush?? If so, how early must you be there?

BSoBW2
#3re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:46am

Yes they do.

It's whatever is left over.

I got there at 11 and was 3rd in line (box office opened at 12 today - Sunday).

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#4re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:52am

Loved the show! Also hope for a CD.

The show never tries to be anything but what it is. I doubt the show will have much of a life, but run and see it if you want a good laugh.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Yankeefan007
#5re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 10:53am

Who was the special guest?

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#6re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 11:36am

I went yesterday and there was no special guest. I sat in the front mezz. and I looked back to the rear mezz. and it was near empty.

BSoBW2
#7re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 3:21pm

Yankee - who did you have?

Yankeefan007
#9re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 4:17pm

A lawyer from Jersey.

Hank
#10re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 5:56pm

re "a black lady putting that cracker-ette Sutton Foster in her place".
Please explane this scene.
I'm a big fan of Sutton Foster, I have a sence of humor and hope to see this show soon too.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 6:34pm

It is on bway box so might be seeing it

Poster Emeritus

Yankeefan007
#12re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 6:41pm

Spoilers - Capathia Jenkins sings a song called "Stop the Show." Jenkins, a big black lady, sings about how only a successful show will have one like her bringing down the house with an 11 o'clock number. She rags on many of the Broadway stereotypes, from Sutton Foster to how most showtunes were written by old, gay Jews. It's hilarious.

Hank
#13re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 7:13pm

OK, I get it! I remember Carpathia Jenkins from "A Look of Love", and mentioning Sutton Foster in that context now really makes me want to see this show.
Thanks.

BSoBW2
#14re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 7:24pm

Plus we get to hear Jenkins sing to the tune of "And I Am Telling You..."

Oh, we also had a lawyer. Hmm.

Yankee - was he old and gray with glasses?

Hawker
#15re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 7:32pm

I think the mystery guest has largely been a weakness of the show since it opened here. This is NEW YORK CITY for God's sake. How many celebrities, athletes, politicians, or other well-known figures are floating around the city 24/7 and yet we get a lawyer from N.J and when I saw it, a Wall Street trader.

Somebody is being lazy, I think. One would seem at least half the time Jimmy Glick could square off against a recognizeable character.

Yankeefan007
#16re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 7:35pm

Nope. Tall and bald.

BSoBW2
#17re: Martin Short: Fun Become Us
Posted: 8/21/06 at 8:08pm

Why should it be called a mystery guest. It's an audience member. SPAMALOT does it. But Fame Becomes Me does it better.

Videos