Wicked

drama mama Profile Photo
drama mama
#0Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 1:59pm

Saw Wicked last Thurs and Elphaba was played by the understudy. At first I was highly disappointed that Eden wasn't performing( I hear she is terrific)that night but was pleasantly surprised. She hit all the right notes for Defying Gravity and had the right attitude for Elphie.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#1re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:00pm

You didn't miss much, Eden is actually pretty bad vocally as Elphie.

drama mama Profile Photo
drama mama
#2re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:03pm

Really? Then I guess that I got lucky. I actually had tears running down my face at the end of Defying Gravity.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:06pm

I have heard nothing but good things about Eden. I have no doubt the understudies are good- appearently they are re: Wicked

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:08pm

I agree that Eden acts the part well, but musically I just don't see where all the praise comes from. Drama mama, which understudy was it?
-BJH re: Wicked

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#5re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:10pm

I think Eden and her understudies are all excellent.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:10pm

I really liked Eden. Hmm. I guess you saw Saycon, she's supposed to be pretty good.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

ThereIs1Director
#7re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:14pm

"You didn't miss much, Eden is actually pretty bad vocally as Elphie."

You Obviously Never saw Idina Menzel Then.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#8re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:28pm

I thought Saycon was awful during the first act, but did much better during the second act. Singing and acting wise.

Fosse76
#9re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 2:45pm

Eden is easily the worst Elphaba, and she even looks odd in the publicity photos outside the theatre. Her acting is unimpressive as well. I'm looking forward to Ana Gasteyer coming into the show, she makes Eden look like Haylie Duff! It looks like I'll be seeing Wicked again in October!

to wherever
#10re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 4:28pm

I've seen Eden 3 times as Elphaba -- the first time I wasn't too impressed, but after the 2nd time, she grew on me and I really like her. Some of the riffs she pulls over in NGD blew me away.

Shoshana still wins for best, in my opinion.

I've only ever seen videos of Saycon (she's alright) and Ana (not too sure about her).

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#11re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 4:42pm

I don't see how all of you can say that about Eden? I think she looks the part, acts the part, and sings the part amazingly! But, you are all intitled to your own opinions! I just think she's always adding something new and making each performance diffrerent, which makes her great and unique! Eden is definately up towards the top for me!

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#12re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 4:45pm

Candleshoe, you beat me to it. I was reading those posts going, "huh?" I don't get it. I think she is great. I even saw her once when she was sick and coughing her brains out between songs and she still sounded amazing!

But like you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions . . . I just can't figure where they are coming from!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Joshua488
#13re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 4:48pm

I am really underwhelmed by Eden Espinosa. I feel she has no control of her voice. Sure, she can "belt" to the stratosphere, but it sounds so untrained and erratic.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#14re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 4:54pm

She has terrible vocal control as Elphie. Joshua, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's not that her voice in itself isn't impressive, cause it is, but singing Elphie's songs she never really quite makes the pitch, and she screams when she doesn't have to. Wow, run on sentence.
-BJH re: Wicked

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#15re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 5:00pm

I liked Eden a lot in the role.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#16re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 5:02pm

Everyone seems to love or hate every Elphaba. They all appeal to different people. I have liked them all for different reasons. I have disliked something about most of them. I can't wait for Ana to start in NY!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#17re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 5:05pm

I saw Eden and was impressed with her voice, I just felt that she hadn't had a lot of vocal training or something. She's impressive, but she could work harder. Her acting and stage presence were very good, though! :)

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#18re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 5:12pm

I think Eden has one of the best voices I've heard, particularly in the "Wicked" songs.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#19re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 6:06pm

Well . . . I just went and watched some videos of Ana and I have to say I much prefer Eden. I liked Ana's voice, really I did, but her acting just really didn't do it for me. *Shrugs* Guess I have to try to see Wicked before Eden leaves!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

mr14 Profile Photo
mr14
#20re: Wicked
Posted: 8/31/06 at 9:33pm

A lot of the time I think that the understudies are better. James Romick, who is the Phantom understudy, was the best Phantom I have ever seen!

COOOOLkid
#21re: Wicked
Posted: 9/1/06 at 12:09am

Funny how all "who-is-a-better-elphaba" topic causes so much conflict and commotion!

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

drama mama Profile Photo
drama mama
#22re: Wicked
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:24pm

The understudy was Brandi Chavonne Massey.

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#23re: Wicked
Posted: 9/3/06 at 5:38pm

I went to see Wicked on Tuesday and was disapointed to see Eden was Elphaba that night after all I heard about her. Well, I had a great time seeing her, her acting was good and she did sing the hell out of the role, and she was good maybe forming the sounds in her throat from time to time but still she did a great job in the part. The audience loved her and that is what really counts.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#24re: Wicked
Posted: 9/3/06 at 5:41pm

Eden had the strongest "Wizard and I" I have heard yet.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

Videos