pixeltracker

Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!

Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#0Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:41am

ELEGIES: A Song Cycle
By William Finn

Originally produced by Lincoln Center Theatre, New York City

Directed by David Lee

Starring
Amick Byram
Tony Award nominee Liz Callaway
Tony Award nominee Malcolm Gets
Tony Award winner Randy Graff
Daniel Tatar

An uplifting evening of witty and moving songs that serve as musical love letters, remembering the lives of those we’ve lost with joy and light, and the affirmation of every moment.

William Finn’s Elegies: A Song Cycle is a heartfelt, often moving celebration of life. In songs about people who have departed this world, Finn (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, A New Brain, Falsetto’s) writes about what made these people special, and illustrates why, as one of his songs puts it, "life has infinite joys."
Half price tickets are available by clicking here!

GetsFan Profile Photo
GetsFan
#3re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 2:13pm

Tell us more. Wish I could have been there

#4re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 3:03pm

Well, it was a very simple evening. Piano, five empty music stands behind five microphones. The lights dimmed and out walked the five performers and the piano player.

Malcolm Gets, Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, Daniel Tater and Amick Bryam, with Steven Smith at piano.

It's a wonderful piece, so nothing is needed in the way of costumes or sets. Some modest lighting cues set proper ambience and highlighted the performers as they stepped up to their respective places on stage.

The standout for me was Amick Bryam's beautiful voice. Why this guy isn't the lead in more theater is beyond me. Liz Callaway was warm and funny on "Passover" and very touching on "I Am There." Randy Graff seemed a bit young to play the "mother" role, but was her usual fine self. Malcolm's wit and charm shone through "Mark's All-Male Thanksgiving" and "Ballad of Jack Eric Williams" among others. Tight ensemble work by all. My only beef is with Daniel Tater, who once again seems to play more on his looks than real talent (his Jamie at Pasadena Playhouse's L5Y recently, was lacking). Sure he has a pretty voice, but the other 4 performers way outshined Daniel.

The Goodbye/Boom Boom was devastatingly beautiful, both in performance and the fact that last night was 9/11.

All in all a wonderful night.

GetsFan Profile Photo
GetsFan
#5re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 3:14pm

Thanks, as a fan of Bill Finn and a Malcolm freak, it must have been wonderful to see. Wish I had been there. Saw Malcolm in "A New Brain" in New York and I've been hooked on both of them since then

#6re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 3:27pm

Me too! And, they did a staged reading of A NEW BRAIN last year with Malcolm...it was incredible seeing him do that after seeing it in NYC.

(He's pretty dreamy too!)

GetsFan Profile Photo
GetsFan
#7re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 3:46pm

Very dreamy. Just saw "Adam & Steve" and fell in love all over again. Especially when he sang "Something Good" acappella. Beautiful

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#8re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 3:56pm

I second that "Adam & Steve" mention, I fell in love on the spot when he sang "Something Good". Wonderful movie, wonderful actor. I would've loved to have seen him in Elegies.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#9re: Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!
Posted: 9/12/06 at 4:31pm

If I lived there, I would have been there for sure!