PIG FARM opens in L.A.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#0PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/9/06 at 9:49am

"PIG FARM isn't meant to be too closely scrutinized. It's broad, playful and eager to tickle more than provoke. How funny you'll find it will depend on your taste for tastelessness. I laughed quite a bit. Kotis has a knack for sending up genres (westerns, mortgaged-farm weepies, even gory thrillers, such as 'Fatal Attraction') while carefully maintaining a distinctive theatrical voice."

L.A. folks - if this sounds like your cup of tea, check it out. I had fun at the NY production.
'Pig Farm' Review - L.A. Times

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 10/9/06 at 09:49 AM

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#1re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/9/06 at 9:53am

when i saw it Off-Broadway, it totally played out to me like an American writing a British Comedy. swinging profusely and missing every time.

i guess maybe i overanalyzed it but yeah: totally missed on me. ESPECIALLY the shining painted on blood. bleh

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/9/06 at 10:10am

But come on...Logan Marshall-Green's hotness was worth it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#3re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/9/06 at 12:24pm

That's actually a review in the LA Times of the San Diego production at the Globe.

I enjoyed it.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#4re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:34pm

I loved Pig Farm. I understand that I am in the minority with that sentiment though.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#5re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/12/06 at 1:05am

First of all it's in San Diego, not LA...

Secondly, it will play South Coast Repertory in Orange County later this season.

Thirdly, it is truly one of the few plays I ever walked out on at intermission. Despite talented actors, the play itself is dreadful.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

MargoChanning
#6re: PIG FARM opens in L.A.
Posted: 10/12/06 at 1:11am

I found the first act painfully unfunny and never so much as cracked a smile, let alone laughed during it. I left at intermission (and apparently I wasn't alone in thinking this -- at least a dozen people fled for the exit at the same time I did). Great cast. Awful play.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney