Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previews

Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previews

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#1Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previews
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:58am

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=539916

sounds like some drama.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#1re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:59am

Alexander Hanson is fantastic, so thats a plus.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#2re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:04pm

So, he only played two performances?

For some reason, I think my father was really excited about Simon Shepherd, so I hope he happened to see either of those performances. 'Cause, well... that sucks for him.

theaterdude87
#3re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:05pm

I wonder if it was more than he just was not working. This may be something we never hear about.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#4re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:06pm

"not working" meaning, he was crap, so they fired him.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

theaterdude87
#5re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:09pm

I would fly to London just to see Connie Fisher...she seems wonderful!!!!

algy Profile Photo
algy
#6re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:22pm

Alex Hanson is great, he got excellent reviews in the Noel Coward play he was in with Josefa Gabrielle (At Chicester/Winchester?) and it'll be great to have him back in the West End. I might actually go see this now!

CarolynW Profile Photo
CarolynW
#7re: Simon Shepherd, Star of London Sound of Music, Replaced After Two Previ
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:39pm

Simon was not working out, the official press release is on RUGs website. I posted a portion of it below my message.

We had a few reviews that said Simon's singing was not up to par and he was stiff in the role.

I would assume they had to buy-out his contract. They caught it early, with new shows these things happen. He is not a singer from all I read about the man.

As for Connie every review from people who saw the show they loved her.

The biggest complaint I have seen is that it is not like the movie. That is true since it is the stage version, not the film version. :)

Yours,

Carolyn

From today's official press release:

"SIMON SHEPHERD WITHDRAWS FROM “THE SOUND OF MUSIC”

ALEXANDER HANSON TAKES OVER THE ROLE OF ‘CAPTAIN VON TRAPP’

Following the first two previews of “THE SOUND OF MUSIC” at the London Palladium on Friday 3 and Saturday 4 November, Simon Shepherd, director Jeremy Sams and producers Andrew Lloyd Webber and David Ian agreed that his performance as ‘Captain Von Trapp’ was not working within the production and therefore he has withdrawn from the show.

The producers are delighted to have secured the services of Alexander Hanson who will take over the role and will start performances as ‘Captain Von Trapp’ as soon as possible later this week. Alexander Hanson played the lead in this year’s Chichester Festival Theatre’s production of “Tonight at 8.30” and his other recent productions include the Royal National Theatre’s “The Villain’s Opera”, “Troilus and Cressida”, “Candide” and “The Merchant of Venice”. His West End musicals include starring roles in “Sunset Boulevard”, “Aspects of Love” and “We Will Rock You”. His television includes playing the regular character ‘Marshall’ in “The Fugitives” and playing ‘Tarquin’ in two series of “Auf Weidersehn Pet”.

Until he starts performances, ‘Captain Von Trapp’ will be played by understudy Christopher Dickins. "

Really Useful Group (RUG) Website Updated On: 11/6/06 at 12:39 PM