pixeltracker

Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance

Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#1Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 3:50pm

Fellow Idina Fans,

On Monday December 4th 2006, Idina Menzel, Helen Dallimore & the Cast of the West End Production of WICKED appeared on the Royal Variety Performance at the London Colliseum and was broadcasted on BBC 1 on Tuesday December 12th 2006. The cast performed 'One Short Day' & 'Defying Gravity in front of The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall.

The video has been uploaded into 2 parts on Youtube. Go on the site and type 'WICKED Royal Variety Performance'

Just one more thing, in the video, Idina may sound like she has damaged her voice a little. But please understand, this must have been really nerve wrecking for Idina as this was the first time she has ever performed in front of Royalty. I still think she's an incredible performer and I think I would very much appreciate it if no-one bashed Idina like 'OH SHES VERY TERRIBLE' or 'IDINA WAS SO BAD'

No matter how Idina sounds like, I still love her very much as a dedicated fan.

All comments are welcome but if you can't say anything nice then please keep them to yourself.

Hope you Enjoy!

-MikeyB16-

swerve Profile Photo
swerve
#2re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 4:03pm

Actually,

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=919704&dt=18

would be more what you're looking for. And this thread should be deleted anyway.

*headdesk*

snl89
#3re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 6:32pm

eh, well I'm not sure which thread to use so I'll just use this one and let the other die haha. (and I figure... well, I dont know, is it really so bad to have both a thread in the west end section and the broadway section?)

aaanyway, now that its finally searchable youtube- I know I kind of mentioned this in my post in the other thread, but I really, really, REALLY loved this performance. Sure, from a vocal standpoint, it was a little below par for idina (and you can totally tell from the very end that SHE wasn't happy with it either). But good lord can she act her butt off. I just...don't understand how anyone could see her face in the beginning and NOT feel something.

So, I just want to out it out there right now (much like mikey did)- PLEASE guys, before you start nitpicking about every single tiny flaw in her voice (which is generally the case around here), all I ask is that you take a step back for a second and actually look at the performance over all (despite what some people seem to believe, its not ALL about the end- there's an entire beginning and middle to the song too!). Before going into "she sounded so horrible and sick in the end, and she cracked a note", think for a minute- did it actually effect the performance that much? Because, for me personally at least, I could simply not care less about a few cracked notes. The fact remains that she's the ONLY elphaba who makes me teary eyed durring that song, and she's only gotten better at it.

Sorry, I'm getting super rambly and preachy, but I just want to be able to discuss this without it turning into another 'lets bash idina' thread. Because I know I cant be the ONLY one who thought it was brilliant :)

ok, I promise I'm done now- carry on- and please be nice!

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 12/13/06 at 06:32 PM

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#4re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:14pm

Hell, I liked the ending...It added character....and personally, I think that it was the best OVERALL performance of the song that I've heard...The end was umm different, but I still really liked it...Two thumbs up for the "at much too high a cost" line. I thought that was fabulous.

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

snl89
#5re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:21pm

^YES. the "much too high a cost" and "kiss me goodbye I'm defying gravity" were soooooooo amazingly gorgeous!! gah. And yes, I totally agree- best overall performance I've ever seen/heard :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#6re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:32pm

re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance Amazing, as always. She always puts her spin on things.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#7re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 10:30pm

Indeed, Both Idina and Helen were spectacular. It was filmed so beautifully, which also made it so much fun to watch. Also, the Avenue Q video of the Royal Variety Performance is also quite cute. Check it out...

chino Profile Photo
chino
#8re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:01pm

The best "Defying Gravity" ever! Though it is evident that she's having troubles with her vocals it came out amazing! I JUST LOVE IT!

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#9re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/14/06 at 8:22am

Some of you probably wonder why I have done 2 threads relating to the show. Well when I was doing this one, it said on my pc that it failed so i tried again but for some strange reason this came through. So apologies in case anyone is wondering & I do apologise for putting info based on Youtube

All I shall say is that I wish Idina all the best of luck and pray and hope her final performance goes extremely well! Updated On: 12/14/06 at 08:22 AM

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#10re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/14/06 at 9:53am

She kinda missed that last note...yikes!

BWAYLover32
#11re: Idina Menzel in the Royal Variety Performance
Posted: 12/14/06 at 10:03am

She's been kinda missing the last note for a while. It seems like she always lets her nerves get the better of her. Everytime I've seen her live in performance she's been stellar, but everytime she does something televised she's subpar. It's a shame. Although, I have to say that whenever I watch her sing I'm always scared that she's going to crack or miss a note...or pop a blood vessel.

Videos