pixeltracker

Tony VOTERS consider Featured Tony "Little-cared about"?

Tony VOTERS consider Featured Tony "Little-cared about"?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#1Tony VOTERS consider Featured Tony "Little-cared about"?
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:32pm

Someone posted that this category at the Tonys is "little-cared about". I thought that was an odd thing to say. I am just as interested in this category as I am in the other acting awards.
What do you all think?

PEACE.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 01:32 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#2re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:35pm

I think this category is just as important as all the other acting awards. Featured Actress was the "stuffed" category last year.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 01:35 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#2re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:35pm

"Someone" was referring to the voters, not the general public.

Thanks for the attention though. I can't get enough, as you well know, so let's discuss!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#3re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:41pm

Oh, was it you that posted that comment? I didn't really notice. It just stuck me as such a stupid and insensitive thing to say I felt it needed it's own thread.
Thanks for clarifying that what you meant to say was "Although the public might be interested in who wins this stupid award, the Tony voters look at it as an award not worthy of much thought and that it doesn't really matter who wins the damn thing, so lets just give it to someone from a show that we want to acknowledge but that doesn't really deserve any of the really IMPORTANT awards even if they don't really deserve the award them self." Is that what you mean?

PEACE.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:44pm

Oh I'm sure you had no idea who posted it, Baity McBait.

Maybe someone else will play with you - someone who's not tired of your same schtick. Run along now.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

sondhead
#5re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:46pm

It's kind of true. How else did freaking Kelli O'Hara lose for her nuanced and incredible performance in Light in the Piazza?? One of the biggest upsets I can remember in recent Tony history.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:55pm

Wait, you are telling me to "run along" from a thread I started?
You have some nerve. Why don't you go move your bowels and start another thread about it.

PEACE.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#7re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 1:57pm

Felicia Fields should have won last year
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 01:57 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#8re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:04pm

Do you mean Felicia Fields?
Does anyone else think that the Tony voters don't care about this category?

PEACE.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#9re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:04pm

"One of the biggest upsets I can remember in recent Tony history."

You haven't watched many Tony's. That may be an "upset" in a few people's eyes but not in many people's opinion's.

sondhead
#10re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:07pm

I've watched every Tony for a long time and Kelli O'Hara is one of the most Tony-deserving performances I've ever seen. Spamalot.. I also saw and was let down by. Lady of the lake was barely in it and did nothing above cheap humor. Tony award winning? Psh

There are many upsets that we all remember... Contact winning for best MUSICAL comes immediately to mind. A very tony-deserving performance losing to a very not one is definitely a big upset to me and lots of people. Perhaps you don't remember reactions after that night went down.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#11re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:12pm

"Perhaps you don't remember reactions after that night went down."

I do remember what happened. Like every year, there is going to be some unhappy people. I love Kelli as a performer. She is VERY talented.I'm just trying to say that Kelli not winning was not something that was a HUGE upset in recent Tony history.Well, at least in a lot of people's opinions. Kelli will have her chance to win someday. I'm hoping soon.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 02:12 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#12re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:21pm

And when Kelli does win, let us hope it is in a category that people actually care about.

PEACE.

sondhead
#13re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:25pm

Ya but it won't be for her brilliant role in Piazza. I want her to win in general and she will but it's still sad to me that she wasn't rewarded with a Tony specifically for her performance in Piazza. Just watching Katie Clark reminded me of how brilliant Kelli was.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#14re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:33pm

"And when Kelli does win, let us hope it is in a category that people actually care about."

I have don't know why you posted a topic on a category you don't care about. Or was that sarcasm?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:36pm

No, someone else said it was a "little-cared" about category. I was being sarcastic. Of course if that person were nominated she would decline the nomination because it is a joke, right?

PEACE.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:37pm

^ Sorry, I'm not to good on internet sarcasm.

Jazzysuite82
#17re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:37pm

I don't think you realize Sondhead how much Sara Ramirez made up to create the Lady of the Lake. The song that goes like this reprise is Tony worthy enough for me. Don't discredit Sara's performance just because Kelli's was nuanced. Sara's was VERY nuanced also. I loved both of their performances but I don't think it was a huge upset. The tony's were actually pretty predictable that year.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#18re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:39pm

Sueleen, what's cracking me up is that we're on the same side. My original post was said with angry facetiousness. Again, as always, you misinterpret me and fly off the handle before clarifying.

Hope you had fun though!

VIETgrlTerifa
#19re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:42pm

Speaking of Piazza, I would love to be able to see the show as it was originally staged, but having myself interpret it as Victoria Clark's character swindling naive/trusting Italians to take her daughter off her hands so she could go back to a life of a genteel Southern lady. (someone said that about Piazza in another thread long ago and thought it was great). Now, that would've been nuanced!

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 02:42 PM

popculture37
#20re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:44pm

Kelli is a great actress, but I don't know anyone who was expecting her to win the Tony for Piazza. I read a bunch of the predictions made by critics etc. before the awards and virtually all of them predicted Ramirez to win best featured actress.
Regarding the original question, I don't think anyone-voters or general public-thinks of featured actors and actresses as being unimportant to the shows that they are in. However, I do think that the category is sometimes used to reward people for their career achievements rather than just their merit for the one show. The same is true in film awards; take Judi Dench's win for Shakespeare in Love, for example. As great as she was in that film, I think her years of brilliance contributed just as much to her win as did her ten minutes of actual screen time in the movie.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#21re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:47pm

"Regarding the original question, I don't think anyone-voters or general public-thinks of featured actors and actresses as being unimportant to the shows that they are in. However, I do think that the category is sometimes used to reward people for their career achievements rather than just their merit for the one show."

I don't think that's very true. Possibly in some cases it is. Many winners have won on their Broadway debut. For example JLY this year. Also Audra McDonald for Carousel.

EDIT: Scratch the thing about Audra.Carousel was her second Broadway show. She did The Secret Garden for a short time before that.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 02:47 PM

popculture37
#22re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:58pm

To clarify my earlier post-I don't think it happens on a regular basis. Its an occasional thing at most. But I think reputation/past achievements are something that the Tony voters at least take into consideration, although there are certainly many other factors.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#23re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 2:58pm

I hate people overusing the word "nuanced".
it's so not nuanced.

Jazzysuite82
#24re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 3:03pm

Beh if the word is appropriate then I say use it.

Yes no one ever nominates based on the performance alone. People do take into consideration past snubs and precidents that have been made. Stokes mentioned that his Kiss Me Kate Tony was for Ragtime.

Videos