Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes

Yankeefan007
#1Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 2:54pm

They're selling a "Best of" Theresa Rebeck at 2nd Stage. It supposedly includes "Water's Edge," "The Scene," and some others. Is it available in book stores? What is the full title?

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#2re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 2:56pm

"The Best of Theresa Rebeck"

I do love that that's a relative term.

Mind is Mantra.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:05pm

Best of Rebeck, hehe! So I imagine it will be a short book with mostly blank pages?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:09pm

Why don't they just call it THE SCENE?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:11pm

I've seen several of this woman's horrible plays, and if the ones I saw were the best, I'd hate to see the worst.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#5re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:10pm

THE SCENE is the only good play she's ever written. THE WATER'S EDGE was absolutely horrible---I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of "entertainment" that was so unintentionally hilarious. It made PRYMATE or BOBBI BOLAND look like Tennessee Williams.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:12pm

OMNIUM GATHERUM was just bafflingly bad. Didn't it (inexplicably) win the Pulitzer?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 1/11/07 at 04:12 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:13pm

In college, young directors kept choosing this awful play by her, about dating. The worst, melodramatic crap I've ever seen, but it got produced 3 times in 2 years at my school. I still have no idea why.

What was that awful Post-911 play she wrote? Omnium Gatherum, or something like that. It was one of the most pretentious things I've ever seen.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:14pm

It was nominated Rath, but didn't win. I think that was the year of I Am My Own Wife, though I could be wrong.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:15pm

IAMOW was a tremendous play.

OG was just - there truly are no words. An embarrassment.

MargoChanning
#10re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:17pm

OMNIUM GATHERUM was a finalist, not a winner of the Pulitzer prize (runner-up to I AM MY OWN WIFE).

And yes, it was an overly didactic, annoying mess.

I wonder if her "Catwoman" screenplay is in the collection?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

BSoBW2
#11re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:19pm

I've done SPIKE HEELS. So much fun to work on. Such a mediocre play, though.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#12re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:26pm

Agreed. OG was a horrible night of theatre. I'm not even a tough critic and I hated it!

....but the world goes 'round

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:27pm

Spike Heels, that's the show! I freaking hate that play.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:27pm

I think my bf and I walked out of that theater in stunned silence.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:30pm

She wrote the screenplay to Catwoman? That doesn't shock me for some reason. Oy.

MargoChanning
#16re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:33pm

To be fair, she's one of a few people credited with writing the story, but still..........

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#17re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:34pm

You know a little too much about the Catwoman movie, Margo!

Didn't she co-write Omnium with someone else too? It took two people to write that drivel?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:36pm

She also wrote the truly awful BAD DATES, which, despite some terrific work from Julie White, was thoroughly unwatchable.

And yet she still gets people to put her crappy plays on...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:36pm

If a Julie White solo show is unwatchable -- man, I can't even imagine writing that bad.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#20re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:40pm

My thoughts exactly, Rath. But it was.

MargoChanning
#21re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:44pm

Yeah, she wrote OMNIUM with Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros (Bernie's niece) -- another bad playwright.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:46pm

I also see she wrote the screenplay to the horrible movie "Gossip", which is a truly awful film.

Wow, she's got a great track record.

I wonder who she has dirt on to get so much work...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#23re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:47pm

It's amazing how many talent-free people get work, isn't it? Apparently she had enough talent in her for just the one play (THE SCENE), but has been hired for so many others - and film too.

Updated On: 1/11/07 at 04:47 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#24re: Best of Theresa Rebeck Volumes
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:47pm

Oh God, GOSSIP...with the pre-ALMOST FAMOUS Kate Hudson. What a piece of s*it that was!