pixeltracker

Any news on Catch Me If Your Can?

Any news on Catch Me If Your Can?

Julian2
#1Any news on Catch Me If Your Can?
Posted: 1/16/07 at 10:28pm

Anyone heard anything? Rumors? I'm interested in anything, I've heard nothing except its going to written by Shaiman/Wittman.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 1/31/07 at 10:28 PM

neddyfrank2
#2re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/16/07 at 11:29pm

Topic?

Julian2
#2re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 12:52am

Bump.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 6:49am

I just read an interview with Shaiman over the weekend, I can't remember where. He said CMIYC is taking a back seat right now b/c he's busy with the movie of hairspray, and then he will be scoring a movie.
Re: hairspray movie, he mentioned that they cut Momma, I'm a Big Girl Now.
I'll try to remember where I read this and post the link.

....but the world goes 'round

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 6:52am

I think that's a smart move. The public would associate the phrase, "Momma, I'm a Big Girl Now" with those Pull-Ups diapers commercials and wouldn't be able to get past it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/31/07 at 06:52 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 8:17am

Foster, that's exactly the reason!!
Also, b/c Shaiman said that the song doesn't establish anything that wasn't already set up in Good Morning Baltimore. With movies, you need to keep the pace moving more quickly.
I really wish I could remember where i read this interview. I'm sure someone else out there has seen it. I'm pretty sure it was on a Bway related site.
Oh, and he also said they wrote 2 new songs, including a ballad for Tracy late in the show.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#6re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 8:45am

Aw- I love that song, but can see how it slows that pace down. I feel like it does help set up Penny's character a bit more though, and doesn't have her appear initially totally idiotic and shallow.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#7re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 8:50am

I think "Catch Me if You Can" would be a fantastic Broadway show. Along the lines of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," with the grifting and all that. If Shaiman doesn't want to do it, how about David Yazbek?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#8re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 9:06am

Shaiman already has done it.They even had a reading last year. It's just not front burner right now b/c he's so busy. I can't wait to see what he's done with it. I did hear one song from it(perfromed by Shaiman)and it was super.

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#9re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 9:09am

I know that jonathan groff auditioned for it... I think he's in serious consideration for the part...I don't know if it ever happened but he said he was going to do a workshop with nathan lane

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#10re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 9:57am

Hey, it ain't just me and Scott who are crazy busy (with the HAIRSPRAY movie). Jack O'Brien's got The Tom Stoppard Trilogy and then some big ol' opera, Jerry Mitchell is guiding in Legally Blond, Terrence McNally has Deuce (with Angela Lansbury & Marian Seldes!) & Some Men...not to mention coordinating schedules with Steven Spielberg! These gentlemen have quite a lot going on too!

We are doing a workshop in July, and no, no cast is set yet.

I personally pray we will get it on Broadway next season and I sure do hope you all will like it.... screw that, I KNOW you all will LOVE IT!!

re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'? MS

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#11re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 10:04am

Excellent, thanks for responding, Marc Shaiman!

Yankeefan007
#12re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 10:05am

MS - Speilberg's in on it?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 10:06am

I cant belive they have dropped Mamma im a big girl now.

what a stupid move ,im so not looking forward to this film

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
#14re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 1:53pm

First, I think that Catch Me If You Can would be a GREAT show! I heard people who have previewed songs say it's wonderful! I know Aaron Tveit read for Leo's role Frank in July, but Matt Morrison (ironically another Link) is a front-runner for the part when it starts developing.

Cutting Mama I'm A Big Girl Now?! re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'? That's one of my faves! But I guess I could see why they're doing it, but it's just sooo cute!

P.S. Shaiman is a genius! Hairspray and The Wedding Singer (right?)! My faves! I have a feeling if CMIYC comes out I'll add it to the list!

Julian2
#15re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 2:00pm

No, Shaiman (Who incidentally, is the real one posting a few stops above your own) has written (along with his equally brilliant partner Scott Wittman) the scores for Hairpray, South Park; Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (The Movie), and Martin Short Fame Becomes Me, plus plenty of work in film and television.

Updated On: 1/31/07 at 02:00 PM

wheredidhegogeorge2
#16re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 3:07pm

I also heard Tveit read for the role, and evidently was well liked. I think morrison's a little too old looking to pass for the 16 year old frank. However who knows. But i think Tveit looks and could do well with it. Groff as well.

MrsVampyre
#17re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:16pm

I was lucky enough to be given a copy of the promo CD from the workshop.

The tracks on the CD are:

1) The Real Truth Lies
2) Jet Set
3) Someone else's skin
4) On Doctors Orders

If the rest of the show is 1/2 as good as the music I heard, the play will be a HUGE hit.

Mark Shamin outdid himself on this score, it's just as good as Hairspray, if not a tad better.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#18re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:19pm

I encourage you to read this thread..

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=868963#1447415

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

MrsVampyre
#19re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:23pm

Thank You!!!

I"ll repost this on that thread. You're right that one seems to be more current.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Any news on 'Catch Me If You Can'?
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:27pm

This is one of the few movie-to-musical adaptations that actually sounds smart and seems to make sense unlike all the others that we've seen in the past few seasons.
I'm actually more excited about the female cast than the male cast since Sara Gettelfinger and Rachelle Rak have both been attached to the project.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos