Phoenix Entertainment

Rentaholic2
#1Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:34pm

Can someone clarify something for me? I've seen multiple non-equity tours from Phoenix Entertainment (Grease, Fame, Will Rogers Follies) and I'm about to see their production of Man of La Mancha. What I don't understand is that these productions seem to be too far "after the fact" to have any direct ties to the Broadway productions of these shows....for instance, their Grease tour seemed like it was produced long after the Broadway revival with no relation to that Broadway production.

BUT, most of their shows use the Broadway logo (including their upcoming Gypsy tour) and seem to be somehow connected to the Broadway productions.

So which is it? Do these shows just use recent Broadway promotional material, but otherwise, have no connection to Broadway?

Or are they actually scaled down, non-equity tours of the same productions on Broadway?
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 06:34 PM

tourboi
#2re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:45pm

Both GREASE and LA MANCHA are new stagings entirely from their Broadway counterparts. Often when you liscence a show you can buy a logo package.

But when the phoenix GREASE came through Toronto, I know they had their own logo, not the Broadway one (original or revival).

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#2re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:47pm

I was just going to ask about the Gypsy tour. I knew nothing about it and I saw the audition notice in Backstage this morning.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#3re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:20pm

it was a zoo this morning. like 500 people zoo.

breebranker Profile Photo
breebranker
#4re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:02pm

i've worked for phoenix, and while i can't say how they do it with all their shows, for will rogers follies we did the original production with original props and costumes and bought the rights to things such as logo, etc.

now they do have some ties to broadway, they bought the rights to the broadway revival of grease forever ago, and are completely part of the 'you're the one that i want' tv show. but that's it.

i was at chelsea for dirty dancing and while that too was a zoo, gypsy was mania. go phoenix though, there's not that much noneq stuff auditioning right now. hope my answer helped.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#5re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:17pm

I worked for Phoenix on GREASE, and yes, we had our own logo.

Their GODSPELL was VERY different from the original and FAME i think was alot like the "Bway" version.

They pay very well and treat their employees vey well too--not a complaint at all....and our Zuko is a finalist on the NBC GREASE program!

Rentaholic2
#6re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:24pm

"for will rogers follies we did the original production with original props and costumes and bought the rights to things such as logo, etc. "

That makes me happy. I'm glad knowing that I've seen THE Broadway production.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#7re: Phoenix Entertainment
Posted: 1/30/07 at 6:27pm

I hope i get a chance to work for them! I was called back for Louise yippie!!!

Videos