pixeltracker

Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story

Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#1Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:22am

Did Christiane Noll ever perform this live? If yes, how did she do it? With dialogues between the songs to explain the story?

I love the cd, and I was just wonderin how it would be as a cabaret act

musicalsFan
#2re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:22am

She did concerts to promote it when the CD first came out.
Not sure how they were done since I was not living in the NYC area at the time.

It is one of my favorite solo CDs, and I wish she'd do another concert of it.

bk
#2re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:39pm

I conceived and produced the album. Glad you like it! She did do a few concerts - no dialogue, just the songs. We labored for eight months to make sure they really told the story without having to cheat or change lyrics or anything. It worked really well live.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#3re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/15/07 at 7:55pm

Nothing like a CD that tells the love story from falling in and out of love and the hope of loving again. Yes, Bruce and it's one of your many talents! Aren't we glad that you do things "Kimmels Way!

Here's hoping our Christiane is singing some of those love songs in Philly with Peter Nero this week!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

TT
#4re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:31pm

Gorgeous voice...She's scratches her nose on stage too much, though.

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#5re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:12pm

hi bk, i love that cd, it is one of my favorites. My other favorites are the Alan Menken Album from Debbie Gravitte and Liz Callaway's Album with songs from the 60s.

I have a question though about the Concert of Christiane: You mentioned, that there was no talking between the songs. I was wonderin if one could do that in a cabaret act. Would one loose the connection to the audience if one doesn't talk to them?

I love the concept of that cd.

bk
#6re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:58pm

Hi, Clarky. She didn't do the concert in a cabaret setting, so it worked fine. And I may be mis-remembering, but I think she also did a "second-half" of the show - you know, A Broadway Love Story as act one, as a theater piece, and then her singing various songs in act two. I think I'm remembering correctly.

I don't think you could do the show without talking in a cabaret setting because, yes, the audience likes to feel some personal connection to the performer.

#7re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/18/07 at 6:34pm

I think the beauty/genius of the album is that it feels like a cabaret act and a revue at the same time. The songs are ordered, arranged, and orchestrated in a natural way to chart this woman's relationship, and Christiane Noll gives them all a very personal delivery.

Its either in the liner notes (which I don't have on hand) or in an interview where she talks about how it feels like Sondheim, Lloyd Webber, Wildhorn, etc. etc. came together and composed a song-cycle - which I think describes it personally.

What's she up to these days? I saw her in Krieger/Russel's Kept, as well as in Into the Woods as The Baker's Wife, and she was great in both. I've heard she's rumored to be Jane in The Witches Of Eastwick in DC?

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#8re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 4:46am

thanks bk..I thought that would be the case.

So I guess the Cabaret Acts are done more like personality shows, where one sings their favorites.

but isn't it kinda boring to say: so my next song will be...

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#9re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:21am

Pegasus~ Christiane has been in Philly this week with Peter Nero & The Philly Pops "Amore" concert. Final performance is 2/21. http://www.phillypops.org . Joining her is as guest vocalist is Ron Raines. Both appeared with Peter in the past.

RE: Cabaret, great opportunity to see what these stars are made of. Some are better than others. When it's just you with a piano and a spotlight, you really get to see raw, creative talent...or not. A few of my favorites are BJ Crosby and the amazing Sam Harris, just to name a few. Real story tellers with wonderful voices. I try to see Cabaret over musicals as often as possible.

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#10re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:31pm

Hi PB: How much talking is too much in a cabaret act? you said, you have seen a lot of those shows. What does the audience like the most or what did you like the most?

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#11re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 4:39pm

IMO,it really depends on the material and the performers. Too much banter can be boring, but little to no set up is just as boring. Why not ask some of BWW's more famous cabaret performers such as robbie j, JRB, Eddie Varley, Sherman's Slave etc. All have experience in presenting cabaret.

This is not much different to seeing your favorite comedians. When their material is carefully lined up the segue is smooth. Ellen Degeris is a master at this, imo.

I prefer a short but sweet, or clever/interesting intro to a song. But if a story teller is really good, such as Sam Harris, his little stories are as good as his singing. He really sets up the crowd and his honesty and comedy is a dead on perfect transition into his vocals.

Much to my surprise, I thought Mandy Patinkin had the most poorly excuted dialouge I've ever heard. I know many think he's brilliant but I thought he was dumber than dumb. But he CAN sing! Just my view since you asked.

bk
#12re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 4:50pm

I've been directing a few one-person shows - not really cabaret, per se, designed for bigger venues and the shows are in two acts. I've done them for Linda Purl and Kevin Spirtas, and am in the midst of doing three more back to back. For these types of shows, the patter is not only important, it's imperative. Audiences, at least the ones these shows are designed for, want to feel they get to know a little something about the performer. I stress comedy, and I never let anyone get maudlin so that it becomes uncomfortable for the audience. And the patter all has to have a point, seem natural (even though it's scripted), and move the show forward. Sometimes it's one line, sometimes it's a page - it depends on what the function is - to set up a song, to propel us forward to the next section of the show - it always differs. You'd be surprised how often people just get up and sing with no patter, no context for the songs, and who don't let the audience know the point. The point is everything, IMO. If I see a singer singing fifteen songs and they never let me know the point or the context or their connection, then I'm basically done by song three.

It's different, I suppose, if you're a legend, but even the best of them automatically have context just based on who they are.

My two centavos, anyway.

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#13re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 5:17pm

first of all, I would like to thank you guys for your input. I really appreciate it and it helps me a lot.

i was watching a dvd of a Michael Ball - Show, where he was on an empty stage with just a piano and singing song after song. Although the concept was pretty cool, he kinda lost me after a little while.

Then I was watching Ute Lemper - Blood and Feather. What an unique performer she is. But I was wonderin if using multiple languages is too hard for the audience.

Any thoughts on that?

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#14re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/19/07 at 9:43pm

very nice comments Bruce. Cabaret is like an invitation to someone's personal art gallery. You get to see what's in their heart only with words and song. It's definetly a two way communication with the audience on a intimate level. It's just you, a piano, a spotlight and a small room full of people.

When a performer can make you think, smile, laugh, cringe, sigh or cry and feel that he/she is on stage talking with you, then it's mission accomplished, imo, and cabaret is one of the best ways to do so.

Regardless of the material, if the crowd walks away feeling they got to enjoy a taste of the artist's personal work then it works....at least for me.

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#15re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/23/07 at 5:22am

Did any of you had the chance to catch a show of the late Nancy LaMott? I love her voice and recordings...I am wonderin how her act was.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#16re: Christiane Noll - A Broadway Love Story
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:25am

Just chiming in...I love Noll's cd, and her "Marry Me A Little" is among my favorite versions of the song.

Videos