Upcoming Trip

ShutterBug Profile Photo
ShutterBug
#1Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/3/07 at 9:18pm

Hello all. I am planning a kind of spur of the moment vacation to NYC for the 13th through the 16th. I've never been to New York at all and I'm very excited I am interested in seeing a few shows while I'm there I was just wondering about getting tickets and things like how early should I try to get them are the lotteries a good deal that kind of thing. Also what are some good things to do throughout the day that arn't maybe what usual tourists do?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#2re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 9:06am

First of all, go see Grey Gardens. It is amazing, if for no other reason than Christine Ebersole's astonishing performance, as well as Mary Louise Wilson's. (The score and book are incredible, in my opinion.)
THings to do-If the weather is nice, you could go uptown to the Cloisters and look around (good walking spot.). You could try picking up a walking tour of Harlem (I did that when I was a resident of NYC.). Indoor stuff in case the weather isn't so nice: Go to the Museum of the City of New York, the Frick, and the Whitney. Those are very nice and tend to be less crowded than the Met.
Have fun!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#2re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 10:25am

The color purple is a must see. Go see beauty and the beast and the producers also considering they are closing.

shesamarshmallow
#3re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 10:29am

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Grey Gardens & Company are my favorite shows on broadway.
I also recommend Curtains, Spelling Bee & Avenue Q, though, for a more light-hearted night.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#4re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 10:38am

Mary Poppins

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#5re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 10:45am

Hmm, if I were you I would make sure to see Spring Awakening and Company, those have been my recent favorites, if you're looking for a good theater experience. If you just want something fun/funny then I'd check out Altar Boyz or Spelling Bee.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: Upcoming Trip
Posted: 3/4/07 at 11:15am

Shutterbug, i'd recommend going to Broadwaybox.com and getting a discount online prior to going. they have it to where you can get them to hold the ticket at the door for you.

if you'd prefer to do everything "in person" go down to the TKTS booth underneath the Mariot Marquis. they have half priced tickets the day of the show so you can see anything that's available. keep in mind it varies so you'll wanna have more than 1 show in mind when stepping up there.

Videos