pixeltracker

There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#1There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!
Posted: 3/19/07 at 7:23pm

Almost exactly a year ago, I saw a workshop production of "Mommy The Musical," featuring Heidi Godt, the lovely star of "The Breakup Notebook." It was a 80ish-minute One Act about 4 mommies, from their children's infancy through high school. Directed/choreographed by Kay Cole, and written by Elin Hampton, it (as they say) "had potential." The biggest drawback was it's incomplete feel and an unmemorable score.

Here we are, a year later, and the show is back with a second act, a appropriately X2 title "Mommy! Mommy! the musical!...musical!", and a whole new (and--I'm pleased to report--catchy) score by wondercomposer Gerald Sternbach. Godt remains (though in a different role) as do Hampton's funny/touching book and her clever/spot-on lyrics. Broadway vet Cole once again directs/choreographs with her accustomed panache. The end result is a totally winning full length musical about motherhood. The always stellar Ms. Godt is joined by Elizabeth Lauren Hoffman, Terri Homberg-Olsen, and Michelle Azar (all absolutely wonderful) and a brilliantly gender-crossing multiple-role-playing dazzler of a performance by Brian Beacock. Brian Murphy's musical direction is likewise worthy of kudos.

Producer Sue Hamilton follows last year's award winning The Breakup Notebook, surrounded by many of the same team in the same venue (The Hudson's 2nd stage, on SMBlvd). TBUN's core audience was lesbians, but it crossed over to entertain audiences of both genders and all persuasions. MMTMM has an far bigger core audience (Mommies) and is likely to continue TBUN's crossover success (I am not and never have been a woman or a mommy) and lesbians will be pleased to know that 2 of the 4 mommies in the show are a couple.

With the right word of mouth, Mommy! Mommy! the musical!...musical! is likely to be around for a good long while!
Mommy Mommy Website

Terri Olsen Profile Photo
Terri Olsen
#2re: There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:52am

Thank you so much for this rave review! I loved doing the show! My castmates were marvelous on and off the stage and the music by Jerry Sternbach was a gift to sing. So glad you enjoyed yourself - that's what it's all about. By the way, Heidi is now in NYC doing "Mamma Mia". I'm sure she is wonderful - she's so talented!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:56am

re: There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!

Despicable!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

FindingNamo
#3re: There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!
Posted: 2/9/08 at 1:37pm

"a appropriately X2 title"

I don't understand what this means, Reej!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none