Milena Govich got fugged!
http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2007/03/milena_fuggich.html

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Josephine2 Profile Photo
Josephine2
#26re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/20/07 at 7:30pm

miss pennywise...

Thank you for reminding everyone of the purpose of last night's benefit. There is nothing "lowly" about you as an audience member-- you were an integral part of supporting the Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative.

#27re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:38pm

i enjoyed myself so much, i didnt even realize Victoria Clark wasnt there til this afternoon!

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#28re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:44pm

>> And it probably makes people very happy to hear her sing that

I bet people were happy to hear Celine Dion sing "My Heart Will Go On" for the first five thousand times as well.

Not knocking Ms. Holiday, but she's running the risk of becoming the next Celine... even if it *was* a request.

http://docandraider.com

theatregeek2
#29re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:53pm

was Julia Murney and Sutton Foster there?

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#30re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/20/07 at 9:14pm

Sutton was supposed to sing "Shower the People" with Beth Leavel, but it didn't happen (even though it was listed in the Playbill). No Julia either.

SeanMartin, someone asked Tony Bennett if he ever gets sick of singing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," and he said that he will NEVER tire of singing that song because that is the song that first endeared him to millions of grateful listeners...and vice-versa. In fact, he ends EVERY concert he does with that song.

Given the recent success of the DREAMGIRLS movie, I think it's rather exhilarating for people to actually see the person who created the role and first delivered the song perform it live. I don't see why anyone should be critical of someone who is trying to PLEASE others. Quite admirable, in fact.

(Norn, I didn't realize it until this afternoon either!!)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

thtrteacher
#31re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:42am

Sounds like there were a ton of no shows. Anyone know who all of no shows (or late cancellations) were and why?

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#32re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 2:32am

what did Renee Elise Goldsberry & Ana Gasteyer sing?

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#33re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 6:35am

>> I don't see why anyone should be critical of someone who is trying to PLEASE others

You're missing the point, but that's nothing new on these boards.

http://docandraider.com

#34re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 7:03am

Renee Goldsberry & Tika Sumpter did FOR GOOD & Ana Gasteyer did a kind of bossa nova-ish arrangement of DONT RAIN ON MY PARADE

i think the snow & bad weather stopped a lot of people, plus it seems like almost everyone in the city has the flu!

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#35re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 8:00am

I wasn't going to post any thoughts about DAME at all but I hate it when people here and on ATC say things like "wish the person hadn't been so harsh" etc...if anything, the poster on ATC was being kind. With very few exceptions, it was practically unwatchable and for what they charge for tickets, there's no excuse to present something which came off more like a talent show at a high school. DAME is usually one of the better benefits of the year, WHAT happened? Sorry that's "harsh" but true. We also couldn't believe or hide our disappointment over how many of the scheduled performers bailed at the last minute.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#36re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 11:31am

I am from out of town so I have never been to a benefit. Are there certain professional expectations or is it hit or miss? Should people have lower expectations since it is a benefit for charity?
Thanks for clarifying.

Josephine2 Profile Photo
Josephine2
#37re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:58pm

I don't think that people should ever have to lower their expectations for any type of performance. I do think, however, that with something like this benenfit one has to take into account that performers are DONATING their time and energy. That's not to say that they shouldn't care or that they should be allowed to deliver medocrity. It just means that sometimes other circumstances arise (such as another opportunity or even health issues) that may cause a performer to cancel. I think these factors may have affected "...Dame" this year, causing many late additions/changes. Given all of this, and the reason for the benefit in the first place, I applaud everyone involved.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#38re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 10:12pm

I'm not "missing" any points. I'm making a different one.

Your entire argument is rather amusing given your enthusiastic defense of MAMMA MIA!!!!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

#39re: Nothing like a DAME...kudos
Posted: 3/21/07 at 11:15pm

^
HAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!