pixeltracker

Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical- Page 3

Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical

broadwayjim42
#50re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 11:17pm

I'm really hoping Spring Awakening takes it...I haven't been this excited by a show in a long time. I like "Grey Gardens" a lot too, but the second act and Christine and Mary Louise are the selling points.

I hear some of you about touring prospects for "Spring," especially since the touring company of "The Full Monty" ran into nudity issues when they played Proctor's up here (Albany/Schenectady), but I think it's going to have a massive young adult following once the word spreads outside of NYC.

jg4892
#51re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 11:47pm

If nudity is the big issue, a touring production of spring should have no problem having Wendla not expose her breasts. I really don't think it would change anything.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#52re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 3/31/07 at 11:58pm

What I don't get is if they're touring it in hopes of aiming to get "young adults" attention, "young adults" already know everything about sex and suicide..so why see a show about it on tour..You would have to get a lot of musical loving teens from a city to see it everyday because young adults who don't like musicals have no interest in a show that's based off things they can learn about in Health class...the majority of people in the theatre when seeing shows on tour are mostly adults in the audience with fewer teens..the only time you get a show on tour that catches the majority of young adults attention are shows like Wicked
Updated On: 3/31/07 at 11:58 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#53re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:00am

FutureAladdin has an excellent point.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#54re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:01am

Thank you! Finally someone understands where I am coming from!

jg4892
#55re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:02am

See aladdin, there's still ENTERTAINMENT in Spring Awakening. Just because the audience knows the message doesn't mean they can't enjoy the show. You don't go to a theatre to learn something new all the time. I already know about the civil rights movement, but I still like seeing Hairspray.
Updated On: 4/1/07 at 12:02 AM

broadwayjim42
#56re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:10am

I'm 46 and I was blown away by it...and want to take my 14 and 16 year old....and their friends...and parents. I came away from the show thinking the more things change, the more they stay the same...James Dobson and his ilk want to turn back the clock on so many things.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#57re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:11am

But the point is, when you go to a place like NY of course you are going to get a lot of "young adults" seeing a show like Spring Awakening because NY has a massive population of tourists who take there teens who would enjoy a show like Spring Awakening because NY doesn't have a bunch of shows that are aimed towards teens other than Wicked, RENT, the Disney Productions, but when a show like that goes on tour to smaller cities that have fewer musical loving teens..it would be hard to get the attention of young adults when the majority of people seeing shows on tour are adults...unless of course it's a show on tour like Wicked where it attracts a lot of the younger audiences who don't all love theatre, but love Wicked...Teens who DON'T love musical theatre wouldn't want to see a show like Spring Awakening because like I said before..they learn about all of that in Health Class and they didn't find it ENTERTAINING there so why would they find it any more entertaining with music? All I'm saying is I don't think Spring Awakening would be the best choice to tour...

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#58re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:15am

And of course if your an adult you could accept the show because adults always are facinated at the new generation and how different it was to theirs...but I don't think it was the Producers intention on bringing in adults...I'm sure they wanted to attract a generation that can relate with the issues and touring it when not a lot of young adults show interest in it wouldn't be the best move...

jg4892
#59re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:17am

Are you kidding me aladdin? Teens love sex and rock and roll! That makes no sense. The fact is, the majority of the audience in NYC are adults, and they love the show too. If Spring Awakening is a big hit at the tonys, all the smaller cities are gonna want to see the tony award winning musical.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#60re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:21am

Are you kidding me? Teens that love sex and rock and roll are NOT musical lovers..they are musical haters who have better things to do than see a show that covers what they learn in school..Regardless if adults like it or not, it is not a show aimed for adults..and touring a show like that whether it got good reviews or not, is not something that would go great around the states unless it's a show that every teen knows nowadays like RENT and Wicked... And just because you are a teen(which I am assuming you are) who loves it does not mean that every teen in the US loves it

Updated On: 4/1/07 at 12:21 AM

jg4892
#61re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:29am

How do you think Rent got known Aladdin? People saw it! It wasn't always a huge hit with teens! This show is supposed to bring non musical lovers to the show, no cater to the very small group of musical theater lovers with a passion for rock. It wants the MTV audience to see it, and it will build a bigger fanbase by touring, it can't already be a huge hit like Rent and Wicked. Teens will see it everywhere, you don't have to be in New York to appreciate the show. Shows other than Beauty and The Beast can tour and do well, ok?

sundaymorning6am
#62re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:31am

neither. Spring Awakening 100%.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#63re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:37am

Alright clearly if you aren't understanding my concept then something is wrong..I'm not going to sit here and argue about this when you aren't processing any of this...Teens who DON'T LOVE theatre are NOT going to be attracted to a show like Spring Awakening....You think that just because you loved it that every teen will love it....It doesn't always work that way..and if you are going to continue and argue back then you are just going to have to read my previous posts again until you finally understand them..And MTV audiences will NEVER be attracted to something like that when they have people like Justin Timberlake( just an example) on tour at the same time attracting all of MTV's teen fanbase...no matter how hard the producers may try, they aren't going to make this show loved by non-musical lovers!
Updated On: 4/1/07 at 12:37 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#64re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:39am

Aladdin does have a very good point. While we all think shows like SA and Wicked are run by teenyboppers, it is adults that buy the majority of tickets, even at shows like Wicked, SA, and Rent.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jg4892
#65re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:41am

Aladdin- you posts are idiotic. What concept is there to get? Spring Awakening is EASILY the most relatable musical for a non theatre loving teen! You have to be kidding me! This is the last thing I'm going to say. If teens would be attracted to ANY musical, it would be spring awakening. Not whatever disney crap you're obsessed with.

edit: another thing people aren't getting is that the adults are loving Spring Awakening too, and they're the people who are buying the tickets, like wonderfulwizard said. Updated On: 4/1/07 at 12:41 AM

wonderfulwizard11
#66re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:46am

Actually, I am a teenager, and in my school, I am one of the FEW who has heard of Spring Awakening. Trust me, it is not that well known, and while compared to Rent, SA is nowhere near the breakout hit Rent was. At this time, Rent was selling out. SA isn't.

And while SA is very loved in NYC, it WON'T tour well in the more conservative states. That's why Curtains will win. It can tour well everywhere.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CurtainPullDowner
#67re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:49am

And as an Adult, while I liked SPRING AWAKENING I know it is not a "breakthrough" musical or the best in years as others have said.
It's younger fan base it's actually quite small.
And I think FutureAladdin represents quite a few of the voices outside of NYC.

jg4892
#68re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:49am

Alright, I know I said I was done talking but I lied. I think you misunderstood me wonderfulwizard. I'm not saying that SA IS well known, but I'm saying if teens were actually to see it, they would relate to it. I agree that it wouldn't sell well in the conservative states, but I'm thinking a big city tour would do really well (Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, San Fran, etc.).

wonderfulwizard11
#69re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:52am

But the teens have to hear about it first. And it isn't well known, as both of us have established.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#70re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:52am

My posts aren't idiotic, you just don't understand them because you are too busy focusing on your opinion and yours alone...And who says I'm obsessed with Disney? You don't know me, you don't have the call for an accusation like that..although I enjoy them I don't think they are the best thing that has happened to theatre...And whether non-loving musical teens can relate to it does not mean that they are going to like it...Non-loving musical teens don't give a care about a show that covers what they already know and frankly, don't always care to hear about it either..Now you can rant and complain all you want, but you aren't speaking for every teen and not every teen is going to agree with you

jg4892
#71re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:53am

Yes, but it's fan base is growing, and the tonys will bring it to national attention hopefully. All shows have to start out somewhere. Rent, Wicked, Hairspray, all had to gain momentum (even if some did it very fast).

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#72re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:54am

And thank you wonderfulwizard11 and CurtainPullDowner for backing me up and understanding where I am coming from...

wonderfulwizard11
#73re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:54am

"the tonys will bring it to national attention hopefully"

Tell me, who may teens watch the Tonys?

CurtainPullDowner
#74re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:55am

Gay teens?