pixeltracker

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony? YES, BEBE!!!- Page 2

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony? YES, BEBE!!!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#25Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 4:58pm

I think it would be great to award White, who has been toiling away doing fantastic work in regional theater. She's worked hard for many years without the opportunity for high recognition, and without the name value that gets plays produced. And really, how wide is Lansbury's mantel?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#26Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 4:59pm

Angela Lansbury is brilliant, and I'm looking forward to seeing her on Broadway again. But she was awarded her last Tony Award in 1979 - I'd be willing to bet that the same Tony voters who made her their darling then aren't voting now. To unilaterally say she's going to win again this year, before her performance has even been seen, is just as absurd as all of the other predictions running rampant in all the other threads. Including this one, including some of mine. Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

nomdeplume
#27Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:01pm

Ah, but my thread is a question, not a prediction.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#28Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:06pm

I'm not referring to you, Nom.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

broadwaybaby086
#29Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:08pm

I would love to see White win- as my userpic may suggest. It was a brilliant performance that prompted this musical girl to see more plays.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#30Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:08pm

Perhaps Lansbury could be not so good. But that's highly unlikely. Who knows what'll happen that fateful night?
Updated On: 4/10/07 at 05:08 PM

nomdeplume
#31Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:09pm

I mean just because I had the "Is JLY the Tony Frontrunner?" thread last year, you shouldn't think of my threads as prophetic.

Coincidence.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#32Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:10pm

And THAT'S my point. Who knows what will happen that night? The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last. Or something like that. Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?

Updated On: 4/10/07 at 05:10 PM

nomdeplume
#33Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:20pm

"The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last."

Good one, D2.

And I hope Julie gets to wear either her opening "awards" outfit or that gorgeous slinky white yoga outfit to the Tonys.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#34Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:22pm

I wish I could take credit for that, Nom, but it's Oscar Wilde.

nomdeplume
#35Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:24pm

Ah, yes.

"Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#36Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:31pm

What about Julie White for Drama Desk?

MargoChanning
#37Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:40pm

White lost the Drama Desk for Best Actress in a Play last year to Lois Smith in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

nomdeplume
#38Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:41pm

So perhaps White is ripe for the Drama Desk this year?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#39Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:45pm

Uhm, no.

nomdeplume
#40Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:47pm

Are you saying that White is ineligible this year, D2?

MargoChanning
#41Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:47pm

And before you ask, White also lost the Outer Critics Circle Award to Smith.

She did get an Obie however (along with Smith and others).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

nomdeplume
#42Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:49pm

For which role?
Updated On: 4/10/07 at 05:49 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#43Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:51pm

Her role in THE LITTLE DOG LAUGHED. It premiered last spring at 2nd Stage. The Broadway production was a transfer. But you knew that.

MargoChanning
#44Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:53pm

?????

White was nominated for her performance in LITTLE DOG last year and lost the Drama Desk and Outer Circle Awards to Smith (but did make the Obie and Drama League lists). Remember she played the role first off-Broadway at Second Stage. Thus, she's ineligible for every award (except the Tony) this year.

Updated On: 4/10/07 at 05:53 PM

nomdeplume
#45Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:55pm

You have just made me remember it. I didn't see it Off Broadway.

Don't you think a Broadway production is a bit more fully realized in its productions values and more visible such that there would still be a chance for a Drama Desk?

Or in the case of a transfer where the original show's performance wasn't noted, are they always omitted subsequently at the Drama Desk?

Drama Desk, as I recall, covers all theatre, not just on or Off Broadway, correct me if I am mistaken.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#46Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 5:56pm

Margo, you wanna take this one? I'm done.

nomdeplume
#47Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:00pm

I'm thinking that since the Off Broadway show was last year in the spring, it's a different set of Drama Desk Awards for this year.

It's my understanding that when a show changes venues it is considered a new production, even if the same cast, director, etc.

MargoChanning
#48Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:01pm

Once you've been nominated once for a given role in a given production, that's it. End of story. White is ineligible for every award now except for the Tony.

And White performance was "noted" -- she was one of the nominees. She just lost. It's not even as if there are separate categories for off- and on-Broadway performances -- there's just one "Best Actress" category that includes everyone on-, off-, and off-off. So, it would hardly make any sense whatsoever to include her in the same category for the same performance in the same production, two years in a row. She had her chance. She just didn't win.

And as for production values, the Broadway production was an exact replica physically of the Second Stage production. The Broadway one was simply a little bigger (and it had the same design team).

Updated On: 4/10/07 at 06:01 PM

nomdeplume
#49Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:03pm

A change of venue does not make a new production, then?