pixeltracker

Anyone seeing "CORAM BOY " this week?- Page 3

Anyone seeing "CORAM BOY " this week?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#50A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:14am

I can see this is going to be another HISTORY BOYS for me (meaning everyone will love it except me)...so sad.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#51A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:16am

Actually, I was not crazy about "History Boys" either---

"Coram Boy", IMHO, is in another league--- Its like nothing else that I have ever seen on a stage.

Testing1232
#52A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:19am

WOT,

I think "CB" might be something that you should re-visit, now that some of the plot details/storyline have been discussed a bit on the boards.

You might go in with a better understanding. My guess is that you will end up really liking the show.

WithoutATrace
#53A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:21am

At this point, I don't even want to walk by that theater in the near future...I hated it that much.

For me, Inherit the Wind, Year of Magical Thinking, Moon for the Misbegotten, and even Deuce were better. And I'm really looking forward to Radio Golf on Friday.
Updated On: 4/18/07 at 10:21 AM

Testing1232
#54A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:32am

Really? Not trying to be mean here. (at all -- not my way), but dont you think some of that hatred could stem from a lack of understanding of the storyline?

Someone had asked (not sure if it was you) why..

********************** SPOILER ALERT ******************

they hanged a man at the end of Act 1- that was really obvious given his heinous acts..

Once again, not at all trying to be mean.

Please dont take it that way.

WithoutATrace
#55A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:38am

You are definitely correct in the fact that I hated it because I had no clue what was going on (same with History Boys, Pillowman, Spring Awakening). And yes, you are correct in saying that if I knew the plot beforehand, I might understand the "brilliance" of the show more. I'm sure if I read a detailed synopsis of the show and then if I saw it again, I would enjoy it more. I just think I should be able to enjoy a play the first time through without knowing anything about it.

leeinlondon
#56A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 4:48am

WithoutAtrace - If you can't understand plot points in relatively straight forward plays perhaps you should aim for something lighter ?

Why subject yourself to plays that need some thought from the audience ?

WithoutATrace
#57A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 9:19am

"If you can't understand plot points in relatively straight forward plays perhaps you should aim for something lighter?"

I wouldn't call CORAM BOY a "straight forward" play since I was completely clueless the entire time.

...and I see everything on Broadway anyway...plus it's good to expand beyond one's comfort zone. I saw all three parts of COAST OF UTOPIA (a play that I belive requires some thought from the audience) and loved it.

CORAM BOY was clearly just not my cup of tea.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#58A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 10:16am

I've not see CORAM BOY, but I read the script a few months ago and adored it.

WAT: My heart breaks over your dislike for THE HISTORY BOYS!!!!!!!!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace
#59A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 10:47am

Believe me, Munk, I wanted to love History Boys as well...I was upset that I didn't enjoy it.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#60A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 10:58am

I have to agree with WAT here about Coram Boy. I didn't hate it as much as he did, but I had my problems with it. I saw last night's show and thought that, while the special effects were fantastic and breathtaking, the plot definitely had its potholes. I thought Act 1 was significantly stronger, with the whole dark storyline going one. Act 2 was very weak, storywise, in my opinion. I thought it was extremely cliche. It felt like any movie ever about a long term separation between parents and their children. I don't want to spoil the play by saying what I mean precisely, but people who have seen it should be able to understand what am saying. Jan Maxwell was fantastic as was the girl who played young Alex and Aaron. I still think Coast of Utopia has Best Play wrapped up though. There were definitely problems in the Coram Boy script.
-BJH A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
P.S. Juliana from Grease: You're the One That I Want was there sitting across the aisle from my friend. Let's just say the conversations she was having with her friend were extremely amusing.

Testing1232
#61A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:07am

Not to threadjack, but anyone have any thoughts on Best Play, being that is was mentioned by BJH?

I dont know about "Coast..." having it wrapped up.

I dont know if it appeals to a broad audience, which MIGHT affect the Tony voters. "CB" might not either, but would not surpise me if "Coram Boy" takes it.

WithoutATrace
#62A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:13am

I have my fingers crossed for Coast of Utopia to take Best Play...it got raves for all three parts. We'll see what the reviews for Coram Boy are in a few weeks.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#63A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/19/07 at 2:02pm

I have a hunch Coast of Utopia will take it this year as well. The epic triology...the star-studded cast...it's a tough one to beat.