Mamma Mia in Cincinnati

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#1Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/27/07 at 7:12pm

Good evening,

I just felt the need to post how surprised and happy and impressed I was with this tour. All of the leads were in fantastic form and the energy was fantastic. Forgot how much of the music is canned, which is always a disappointment to me, but I was very entertained. After seeing the tour of Lion King that was just recently here, and commenting to everyone I saw how 'lazy' I thought that tour was, this was a nice light fun and very tight show. I highly suggest you catch it this tour of Mamma Mia.

broadwayguy2
#2re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/27/07 at 7:51pm

I wouldn't say "canned". Tey use the instrumentation used by ABBA whn the songs were originally released.
I saw this tour back in its early days. It's a bit downsized from the "full version of the production", for the most part, works well. There were a few things I was sad were cut from the sets though.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#2re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/27/07 at 9:36pm

What was cut from the set? I've seen the show a couple of times, just wondering what I missed.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/28/07 at 12:22am

Most likely just the rising dock/plank. Without it, Sophie and Sky just walk off towards the huge moon at the end of the show instead of on that dock/plank.

Also, most likely the lighted floor, but that main rotating set always remains the same.

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#4re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/28/07 at 1:23am

And I'm fairly certain that the set doesn't go completely off the stage for the megamix. I've also heard that the tour just used a projection of the moon for the final moments... But I could be wrong, I've only ever seen the BWay production...

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

RentBoy86
#5re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/28/07 at 1:33am

I saw the tour here in Birmingham, Al last month, and I thought it was in good shape too. I forgot how much of a guilty pleasure that show is. It's so fun, and I feel like the storyline is actually pretty good. You actually want to know who the father is, at least I did.

The moon at the end isn't as gigantic as the B'way moon, nor does the set ever leave the stage. Everything else that was mentioned is correct. I love the big "bang" at the begining of each Act.

But I still have yet to see a Donna that can just bite into the part and just belt it out.

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#6re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/28/07 at 9:23am

Sophie and Sky do walk through the set of towards the moon that is just a projection. But I did not think that the modified sets made that much of a change. And specific standouts included Noon as Sophie, Krill as Sam, and I did like the Donna and Tanya alot!

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#7re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati
Posted: 5/28/07 at 12:07pm

"But I still have yet to see a Donna that can just bite into the part and just belt it out."

After seeing Louise Pitre and Carolee Carmello play Donna, I promise you, it can be done! re: Mamma Mia in Cincinnati

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

Videos