Fantasia out Sunday 6/10

jg4892
#1Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:22pm

So fantasia was out yesterday because of the Tonys. There were some VERY unhappy customers and a man was telling them all about the refund line which many seemed to go into. Lots of angry people. I heard a lot of -"I've seen it already! I came back JUST for her!". On a more positive note, montego glover was an AMAZING Celie!

thesinger
#2re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:18pm

Thanks for the heartfelt review.

jg4892
#2re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:36pm

Just though I'd comment- it was similar to the situation with Christine out of GG the other day. Although there wasn't as much yelling as grumbling.

jimnysf
#3re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:47pm

Sounds like another Donna M in the making. Why is she missing performances? Hmmmm?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:13pm

Is she considered "above the title"? I thought they were saying "The Color Purple starring Fantasia" which would make her below, right?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:54pm

Why in God's name was she out? She just had to put on a dress, do her hair and get up there and sing. A lot of people had to do that and they were at their shows.

jimnysf
#6re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:02pm

Sounds like a Diva in the making.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#7re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:06pm

Don't compare her to me.

I've never missed a show.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Virgo
#8re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:14pm

"There were some VERY unhappy customers and a man was telling them all about the refund line which many seemed to go into. Lots of angry people. I heard a lot of -"I've seen it already! I came back JUST for her!"."

I can definitely understand why they'd be upset. Though, they did get to see the show but that isn't enough. The reviews have been for FANTASIA in The Color Purple, critics have told them that it is HER who makes it worth a see, so, I guess when they showed up to an understudy they weren't too happy, especially if they are returning customers coming back just for Fantasia. I wonder if they will get a free ticket to come back when she's there?

Fantasia has only missed TWO performances in TWO months. Once she was sick (and that was about six weeks after she started) and for the Tony's, personally, since her attendance has been so good and because the Tony's and TCP wanted her to perform, she deserved the day off yesterday to relax and unwind. I would have done the same thing. That's what understudies are for.

She didn't even return to the idol finale to perform because she had missed the day prior at TCP due to sickness. Updated On: 6/11/07 at 08:14 PM

jg4892
#9re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:24pm

To be fair, Fantasia was there for the matinee show. This was for the evening performance. But again, Montego really was spectacular.

craftymarley Profile Photo
craftymarley
#10re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:28pm

Sounds like another Donna M in the making. Why is she missing performances? Hmmmm?

Why in God's name was she out? She just had to put on a dress, do her hair and get up there and sing. A lot of people had to do that and they were at their shows.

Sounds like a Diva in the making.

You people are ridiculous. Fantasia missed the EVENING performance of TCP. It is a 7:30 curtain, and considering the show is nearly 3 hours long, and Fantasia performed at the Tony's at about 10:30, it would have been almost impossible for her to do both. And it certainly would have been a bad idea for the producers of both the Tony's and TCP to let her try and do both and then miss her Tony appearance.

This is the second time in two months she has been out. The first time was due to illness. She is hardly a flaky performer.

Virgo
#11re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:28pm

"To be fair, Fantasia was there for the matinee show."

Yeah, I think it was kinda important that you mention that. Then I don't count this as a absence at all. She can't perform that role in all the Celie makeup and still get to the tony's and be expected to do it again. I bet NONE of the actors who were nominated or performed had an evening show yesterday.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#12re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:29pm

I think it had a lot to do with logistics--- "TCP" has a 7:30PM show on Sunday, that doesnt end until around 10:20-10:30-

That is cutting it really close. I had asked at the box office last week, and they told me she would be performing at the evening show, and then heading straight to the Tonys to close out the night--

Guess they thought better of it, and decided it was going to be too hectic.

jg4892
#13re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:31pm

Oh, i don't hold it against her. I had a feeling she would be out from the start, and heard Montego was great in the role so I wanted to check her out. Just commenting on the other ticket holders. Fantasia is out, performance or not. I heard many "the only reason I came to this show was for her"s.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#14re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:33pm

Crafty,

Ya beat me to it !!! Would have been near impossible for her to do the evening show and the Tonys

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:38pm

"You people are ridiculous. Fantasia missed the EVENING performance of TCP. It is a 7:30 curtain, and considering the show is nearly 3 hours long, and Fantasia performed at the Tony's at about 10:30, it would have been almost impossible for her to do both. And it certainly would have been a bad idea for the producers of both the Tony's and TCP to let her try and do both and then miss her Tony appearance.

This is the second time in two months she has been out. The first time was due to illness. She is hardly a flaky performer."

I was unaware of Color Purple's performance scheduale. I thought they had a matinee yesterday and she missed it. I take my comment back. It would have been a little impossible to get her from The Broadway Theatre to Radio City.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#16re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:40pm

Still wondering if she's considered "above the title" and therefore people COULD get a refund, or if she's not and they were SOL.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jg4892
#17re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:47pm

People were definitely getting refunds. She is considered "above the title", I think.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#18re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:49pm

Ugh. Considering everything says TCP first, that's so not fair. Just because she's a "celebrity".

Of course I'm sure Oprah wouldn't want to tick people off so they've probably been instructed to give refunds no matter what.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 08:49 PM

Virgo
#19re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:59pm

Actually, they are doing the right thing by giving the money back to folks who requested. The reviews for this show have been for FANTASIA in the TCP, not for TCP on its own. So, people who are going based on reading the recent reviews aren't looking for an understudy to appear on stage. They are looking for what the critics have raved over and that is FANTASIA in TCP. I am sure that there were many like jg4892 who went just to see TCP the musical. But if you've read the reviews you would definitely be disappointed if anyone other then Fantasia stepped out on that stage as Celie.

jg4892
#20re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:03pm

It seemed as though the refund line was VERY long, but the house was full. There were people trying to discourage people from getting them. I heard one ticket holder say "her understudy is wonderful!".

jimnysf
#21re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:13pm

Would have been near impossible for her to do the evening show and the Tonys

Again, she should not have been at the Tonys. She should have been at the theatre giving her adoring public the live performance they paid for. Sounds like she is starting to develop a pattern of being out. She's been out twice you say? I've never been out.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:15pm

Still, it seems that the "above the title" rule should apply regardless.

When I went to see Wicked it was primarily for Idina. Who had won the Tony and everything. She was out...but no refunds because in spite of all that, not above the title.

Anyway...it's a moot point. I wouldn't want to fight that kind of crowd either if I was the box office people. They're vicious enough on the sidewalk outside the theatre.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jg4892
#23re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:16pm

I felt especially bad because it's a big bus trip show too, that largely come for Fantasia. I saw a bus with the words Alabama Limo on it. Felt so bad when they saw Tasia was out.

Virgo
#24re: Fantasia out Sunday 6/10
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:59pm

"Again, she should not have been at the Tonys. She should have been at the theatre giving her adoring public the live performance they paid for."

You really need to get off of your high horse. Unless you are a producer of TCP or Tony's you can't say anything about where she is to be. Fantasia didn't ask to be in TCP, they came after her, she didn't ask for rave reviews, they came through her hard work and she most certainly didn't ask to perform at the Tony awards. Your issue shouldn't be with Fantasia but with Broadway in general. They are the one's recruiting her for everything. She was invited to perform and couldn't do both, obviously the producers of TCP agreed that she should be there. She did what was requested. Now off your high horse.

Videos