How long is Fantasia out for?

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#1How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:31pm

I walked by The Color Purple on Sunday afternoon and noticed Fantasia was out (Saycon Sengbloh went on). Does anyone know whether she went on for the Sunday evening show? Then today I was looking on Telecharge for tickets and they had previously said Fantasia would be out the week of August 8, but now they are saying that Fantasia is out this week. Has she been out for a while and I just didn't realize it?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:34pm

When I spoke to Saycon on Sunday night, she said she'd done both shows that day and the day before.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:40pm

Fantasia will now be on vacation from July 25 - 29th. She was previously announced to be out from August 8th - 12th.

In her absence, the role of CELIE will be played by Darlesia Cearcy and Saycon Sengbloh.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jg4892
#3re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:42pm

Darlesia? I'd LOVE to see that. She has one of the best voices I've ever heard.

jimnysf
#4re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:46pm

Oh my God! She is out AGAIN? OY!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#5re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:50pm

When I walked by the theatre about 7:30 Saturday morning, there had to be at least 50 people in the rush line. I'm sure they weren't too happy to find out that they waited for nothing (not to take away anything from Saycon or Darlesia).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jimnysf
#6re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 9:51pm

Well, Dottie, she is known for doing this kind of thing to her poor fans. Not showing up as scheduled!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

peaceone
#7re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:27pm

Yeah Fantasia has a 103 degree fever...get better girl..

I do feel sorry for the fans that came to see her tho, some got refunds.

everythingtaboo
#8re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:29pm

I had a 102 fever this weekend. Now I know who to blame.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jimnysf
#9re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:33pm

Seems she has excuse after excuse. Is she the next Betty Hutton? She will be if she keeps this behavior up! Get back to work!

Virgo
#10re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:40pm

I hear that Saycon Sengbloh is really good so don't let Fantasia not being there stop anyone from going to see the show. Actually, Fantasia not being there might even make some people here go see the show. re: How long is Fantasia out for?

TCP is going to eventually have to go on without Fantasia and at least she was kind enough to extend her run from October 2007 to January 2008, so Come on she deserves a break or two, with a three month extension. Those adorning fans now have that extra three months to see her. I was really enjoying the no fantasia threads here because her topics always bring drama.
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 10:40 PM

everythingtaboo
#11re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:42pm

The least you could give her, really, is that at least she moved her vacation up so that she wouldn't be taking sick time plus her scheduled vacation in a couple of weeks.

jimnysf
#12re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:43pm

she was kind enough to extend her run from October 2007 to January 2008

LOL!!! I guess the world should be grateful that she has been so "kind". Now if she would only show up for work already!

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#13re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:45pm

i saw the show last Saturday night with Saycon. i enjoyed it, but wish i would've known she was out prior. i would've exchanged my ticket and gone to see something else had i have known.

the show is better than i anticipated but i kept dreaming what Fantasia would've dressed it up with. i had gotten my ticket WAY ahead of time and they didn't let us into the theatre until almost 25 minutes before it started. it aggravated me that had i have been able to step into the lobby to see that she wasn't in it, i could've ran down the street and saw something else.

i did enjoy Saycon but i felt her voice didn't go low enough for some parts. she's an amazing actress though. maybe not the $116.00 worth that i paid for, but good...

jg4892
#14re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:47pm

I can always see the understudy board from outside the theatre.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#15re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:49pm

really? i wish i could! re: How long is Fantasia out for? i walked up to the door and 4 door men asked me abruptly if i had my ticket already. i said i did and they told me to go around the corner and stand in a long line. maybe if i had gotten to the theatre well ahead of time and there weren't so many people in line for will call i might've had a better view.

oh well. woulda shoulda coulda.

it's the only thing i hadn't seen on Broadway so i was all good. i didn't hate it by any means. and the audience didn't appear to be as "ghetto" as some had mentioned. i definitely felt positive about the experience.

Virgo
#16re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:51pm

"The least you could give her, really, is that at least she moved her vacation up so that she wouldn't be taking sick time plus her scheduled vacation in a couple of weeks."

That'd be really stupid to take vacation for sick time. That's why one is called "Vacation" and the other is called "Sick Time". I'm sure you exchange your sick time for vacation time on your job all the time.

Oprah's really rich, she can make it better for everyone disappointed.

jimnysf
#17re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:55pm

Oprah's really rich, she can make it better for everyone disappointed

And you get a car! And you get a car!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#18re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 11:03pm

No matter what show I see, I always make sure to look at the understudy board first before I ever set foot inside the theatre.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 11:13pm

i did enjoy Saycon but i felt her voice didn't go low enough for some parts.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the only song that is completely in Fantasia's range is I'm Here. She struggles with every other song in the score. That is why I'm Here is the only song she sings for television appearances and other promotional appearances.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

everythingtaboo
#20re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 11:18pm

What was that about drama, Virgo? re: How long is Fantasia out for?

Virgo
#21re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:05am

"She struggles with every other song in the score. That is why I'm Here is the only song she sings for television appearances and other promotional appearances."

Are there songs actually more difficult then "I'm Here" in TCP for Celie? What other solo's does Celie have? I was under the impression "I'm Here" was the only one thus the reason why it was the one she performed at promotional appearances, even Jeanette is performing that tune at her promotional appearances. I wonder how she got those reviews, saying she's better then any other Celie if she's struggling with every other song in the score. Weird.

Edit to add:

Okay, I found the list of songs and Celie does only have two solo's "Somebody Gonna Love You" and "I'm Here", so Celie would be limited to one of those two songs at promotional appearances. My guess is she sings "I'm Here" because it's her show stopper and the biggest selling point for the show at promotional appearances.

Musical Numbers:
Act 1
Huckelberry Pie....Young Celie & Young Nettie
Mysterious Ways....Church Soloist, Church Ladies and Company
Somebody Gonna Love You....Celie
Our Prayer....Nettie, Celie and Mister
Big Dog....Mister and Field Hands
Hell No!....Sofia and Sisters
Brown Betty....Harpo, Men and Squeak
Shug Avery Comin' to Town....Mister, Celie and Company
Too Beautiful for Words....Shug Avery
Push Da Button....Shug Avery and Company
Uh-Oh!....Church Ladies, Sofia and Squeak
What About Love?....Celie & Shug Avery

Act II
African Homeland....Nettie, Celie, Olivia, Adam and Villagers
The Color Purple....Shug Avery
Mister's Song....Mister
Miss Celie's Pants....Celie, Shug Avery, Sofia and Women
Any Little Thing....Harpo & Sofia
I'm Here....Celie
The Color Purple (Reprise)....Celie, Nettie and Company Updated On: 7/26/07 at 01:05 AM

jimnysf
#22re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:47am

The least you could give her, really, is that at least she moved her vacation up so that she wouldn't be taking sick time plus her scheduled vacation in a couple of weeks.

Well, I don't think her fans with tickets for this week's shows would be happy with her moving her vacation at the last minute, but she has done this before, hasn't she?

peaceone
#23re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:14am

So much hate for one woman since day 1, its kinda sad in a way "jimnysf".

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#24re: How long is Fantasia out for?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:37am

Well, I don't think her fans with tickets for this week's shows would be happy with her moving her vacation at the last minute, but she has done this before, hasn't she?

No, she hasn't done this before. She's missed less then ten shows in her entire time with the show thus far.

I think the fans with tickets for this week's shows would be alot more dissapointed to see her clearly not at her best and ill.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/26/07 at 08:37 AM

Videos