7/31 Preview of Grease

Broadwayfan120791 Profile Photo
Broadwayfan120791
#17/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:55pm

So yesterday I went to see the preview of Grease at 8.

Okay so I will just go through most of my thoughts about the whole experience, from start to finish, but i promise i'll try my best not to make this too long.

Okay, well first off, got to the theatre, got seated. That was my first time being at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre and I felt it was just very small and packed in. Not that other theatres aren't like this, but for a show like Grease I was kind of expecting a different kind of theatre. The way that the theatre was so small kind of reminded me of an auditorium more than a broadway theatre & the way the seats weren't in levels, like some theatres are made it hard to see. I was sitting orchaestra center, row H..very good seats, but when you have that really tall person in front of you, ehh not too good.

Well besides that, [not to be venting about everything, but the show itself--I'm getting to it]. I have NEVER seen so many people be really rude & not respect theatre rules/employees. Okay, I know that this is a hit show and all, and probably people that don't usually attend broadway shows would be at Grease, since it is famous, not only within in the theatre/Broadway world. It was really ridiculous after awhile though, people just kept taking picture after picture & mind everyone, this was AFTER they got told to stop. The people would take pictures, an usher would tell them to stop, and right when the usher was standing right there, they would snap some more. It got annoying after awhile because of all of the flashes. Okay, I know people call that fun and all, but its just out of respect that when an usher enforces a theatre rule, you should kinda listen to it. At least when the show started, people heard the annnouncement of "No Photography" loud & clear though, so that ended.

Okay now for the show, finally! lol...The first two things I will mention about it is that the scenery, props, and costumes are really great. It's all put together really well. For the show itself, it was really good for a preview, but there is still much more work to be done on it, which was apparent. I'll start with "America's Choice" as everyone else is saying, Max and Laura. Max, I thought was really good, not bad at all. His singing was actually really good, his acting wasn't bad, but could be improved as time goes along, and the look on him, actually wasn't like I pictured it would be. I don't know, but at first I just didn't see him as being Danny because of his look, but it fit well, I though. Laura, on the otherhand, it seemed almost as if she was lost on how to act at parts, it seemed like she didn't know what direction of acting to go in at points in the show, so that could be improved and it probably will be I'm sure. Her singing was okay; it was really good at times and then at other times I just felt like it fell short. One song that I have to give credit to both Max and Laura on is "Summer Nights", it was sung really well. Nice song for them to both sing and basically start off the show with. "We go together" was a really good song that Max sang too, it sounded like he put a lot of energy into that one & it really showed also. On Laura's part, I felt her "Hopeless Devoted to You" could have been stronger, but it wasn't awful, by any means.

One person I have to say did an amazing job all through the show was Jenny Powers, I figured she would be really good as Rizzo, but she kept the energy up and she did really well staying in character the whole time. Another person who really stood out to me was, Matthew Saldivar, who played Kenickie. I thought he did a fantastic job and it seemed to me like he would be a good Danny too, he really seemed like he could fit that part, but that's just my opinon. He did a really good job thought as Kenickie.

Besides all of that, the opening and closing of the show was really good. One thing I have to say about the Opening though, is that I wish Laura and Danny would have a better entrance after it is over, I don't know it just seems like it is lacking something, maybe it is just me. It seemed like they just fit right in and didn't really stand out too much. The finale/closing of the show, the was really good though, so that definetly needs to be kept in the show, because it finishes out the show with just so much energy.

I also have to give credit to the band and the conductor also. The conductor was very good and she really had so much energy in her, which really added to the overall experience of the show. The band was so good also and they all seemed like they were really enjoying it.

To finish this out (Sorry that it was longer than I originally said), I have to say very good show and will get better eventually. I, personally, would definetly like to see this show again in a few months, when it all comes together better.

By the way, does anyone have any word on a Cast Recording or anything?

Come on babe we're gonna paint the town...and all that jazz...

Yankeefan007
#2re: 7/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:58pm

Just as an aside, how cool would it be if my sarcastic "America's Choice" comment is taken so seriously that it's actually used to refer to them?

Okay, back to reality. Glad you enjoyed the show. Very nice comments, agree with some of them, disagree with other parts. That's what makes ballgames.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: 7/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:15pm

How was Robyn Hurder as MArty?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#3re: 7/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:38pm

i loved her.

reichi Profile Photo
reichi
#4re: 7/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:03pm

She's the most alluring of the Pink Ladies.

worrell4077
#5re: 7/31 Preview of Grease
Posted: 8/2/07 at 12:32pm

"I was sitting orchaestra center, row H..very good seats, but when you have that really tall person in front of you, ehh not too good."

I've been there and the worst part is when you have the tall guy infront of you and you go over to the side to watch and then he moves to that side and you go to the other side and so on and so on. That did happen to me at Curtains, this guy blocked my view so I looked over on the left, he would move his head to the left, I went over to the right, he moved over to the right.

I'm hoping to see Grease sometime soon, but I really don't know when since they aren't doing student rush and that they aren't on TDF.

Videos