pixeltracker

Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..- Page 2

Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..

gherbert
#25re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 7:13am

Actually, I believe that Gavin Creel was indeed Prince Eric in the recent workshop.

ShineOn
#26re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 8:10am

Yeah, he was.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#27re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:09am

I would be interesting if they did it like they do the shortened version in Disney in Japan. The show is performed over the audiences heads, as if they're underwater as well. This would probably work great in The Circle in the Square.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:36am

CITS is a very cool theatre.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 3:44pm

Max could so be the Prince in any Disney production.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 3:57pm

O dear! Kerry is going to be in a purple coconut bikini top! Haha!
Is she def. playing Ariel? I heard that Little Mermaid is still in the works just like Tarzan- not really sure if it can handle Broadway.
Whatever happened to Disney's thoughts on opening Hunchback of Norte Dome? There was an article about it in my showbill for The Lion King about 4-5 years back and I assumed the whole show just got dropped. Any news?
Oh and Kerry will be a great Ariel!

"They hear drums. We hear music."

ShineOn
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 5:55pm

They did a reading for it last year. Kerry as Ariel, Gavin as Eric, and Ems as Ursula. I don't know what progress its made since, but it sounds like they're definitely going to take it to Broadway, they're just taking their time.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kerry Butler in the Little Mermaid..
Posted: 1/6/04 at 5:59pm

Mmm... purple bikini coconut top...
Sounds like a dessert.
Either way, Mmm...

Hamlet's father.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#38Hmmm....
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:04pm

I'd actually like to see what they could do with it if they had Ursula played by two different actresses. I'm sure Ms. Skinner could be the evil beautiful woman with a beautiful singing voice- since the beautiful woman's singing voice is different then that of Ursula. If that was the case, I'd LOOOVE to see Mary Testa as Ursula, along with Emily.

DavidMegg Profile Photo
DavidMegg
#39Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:07pm

Does anyone know who provided the singing voice for Ursula in the Movie version??

Jack42
#40re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:11pm

Same person who did the dialogue. Pat Carroll - who is an amazing performer on stage and on screen.

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity -- Harlan Ellison.

Bway_Mill_Fan Profile Photo
Bway_Mill_Fan
#41re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/6/04 at 9:20pm

wow! elphie! why didnt you introduce Idina to me?

ShineOn
#42re: re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/6/04 at 11:58pm

Billy --

That would never happen because Emily is more than capable of doing both the sea wench AND the beautiful vixen. Are you familiar with her work...? She, more often than not, is cast in the character parts. Yes, she's beautiful and she has a 'pretty voice', but she's got this enormous belt (sounds like a big black woman, which is perfect for Ursula... Mary Testa doesn't have as effective a voice...) and is FUNNY. She's crazy... and has these huge faces which is ideal for such a maniacal character. But... more importantly, she's *extremely* versatile, both performance wise and look wise, and I can't think of any other actress with a name for herself that is more perfect for this part. Mary Testa has the right 'look' for Ursula and IS the right type, but certainly not the right voice and definitely not versatile enough for any kind of transition, assuming they're definitely using the same actress.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#43re: re: re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/7/04 at 4:17pm

Yes, I'm Kerry Butler's husband.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#44re: re: re: re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/7/04 at 5:23pm

daisy - "Mary Testa doesn't have as effective a voice"

What makes you say this? Mary has an amazing voice with quite a range. I've seen her perform numerous times with a knockout belt. I also saw Emily in Full Monty and she wasn't as small as she was in Side Show. I do like me some Skinner, but I loves me Testa as well. I think both of them could pull it off. Remember, It wasn't Ursula's looks that attracted Prince Eric. It was the spell she cast over him. If she wasn't that beautiful, it could actually add a wonderful comedic twist to the situation.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#45re: re: re: re: re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/7/04 at 7:54pm

I agree that Mary Testa has an amazing voice, and I didn't really mean to cast Testa as doing both. I meant that Emily could do the beautiful, seductive woman. I am not familiar with Emily's work, and if she's really that versatile, I'd LOVE to see it. A versatile actress playing both is always than two actresses, who aren't very versatile, splitting the role.

ShineOn
#46re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Movie Ursula
Posted: 1/7/04 at 8:03pm

I didn't mean that Mary CAN'T sing, but it's certainly a character voice. *sigh* I just think Emily's more appropriate for the part...

And yes, everyone is well aware of Emily's rapid weight change. It's no secret to the public. But even at her heaviest, she is stunning, so, even if she was still larger, she could work the transition.

Um, question... when Ursula transforms, what the hells her name? Isn't it Vanessa?? I don't really remember.