Blonsky to go to bway?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#50re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 1:15pm

"I think she could handle the 8 shows per week without a problem, especially since her role is more of a "fun" role and not as draining as say a person in a deeper role more dramatic with a heavier subject manner. "

More of a 'Fun' role?! Are you crazy?! Tracy is on stage 99% of the show and she's is always FULL OUT. The role is one of the most physically demanding roles on Broadway right now. I know that a couple of the Tracy's have felt 'broken' after finishing their runs.

And have we all forgotten that Ms. Blondsky did audition for the role on Broadway BEFORE she did the film. They loved her but thought she was too young. Well, now she's not.

I say give her the chance! She's not going to be nominated for an Oscar like Jennifer Hudson, and her career in films will most iikely be relegated to charachter roles, so she has NOTHING to lose.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 1:22pm

I'm with Diva on this. And since the movie was a hit having her in it would be a sort of stunt casting (if they ever need to do that).

....but the world goes 'round

TheatreDiva90016
#52re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 1:27pm

Thank you Taz, on your always excellent taste.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#53re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 2:41pm

Let's not forget that Blonsky started as a STAGE performer. She has definitely done her share of live musicals, and Theater really was her first passion. If this is what she wants to do, I'm all for it! She is young enough that she doesn't have to worry about career strategy AS MUCH as others might.

In the film, Blonsky was directed a certain way in order to make the character play well on camera. I'll bet that Nikki's STAGE Tracy would be completely different, and perfectly adapted for a live show.

It would be best for HAIRSPRAY, however to bring her in only after Lance Bass leaves the show. If they brought her in before that, they'd be wasting a major revenue boost, because the show is already doing well with Bass. (Not sure I explained that clearly, hope you get the point.) It would be like a "Double Attraction," and they only have so many seats to sell.

(That's what I posted before the weirdness happened!- Thanks Ray!)

Updated On: 8/25/07 at 02:41 PM

tinkerscanne
#54re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 3:45pm

Someone asked about the height requirement for Tracy.

According to a job post on Playbill.com in May 2007, Tracy had to be 5'3" or shorter. I'm 5'0" and got called to audition. It was FUN! I saw Shannon as Tracy in April 2007 and loved her energy and her voice. I tried to apply some of what she did into my audition. I think Shannon is FANTASTIC!!!

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#55re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 3:51pm

According to a job post on Playbill.com in May 2007, Tracy had to be 5'3" or shorter.

Really? I had no idea!

I'm a half foot too tall, haha.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#56re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:28pm

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 8/25/07 at 04:28 PM

Playbill9117
#57re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:30pm

(It happened again- sorry ray! I'll try to be more careful while they sort this out.)

I agree, my only concern for Tracys is physical strain. I've seen interviews with Keala Settle (1st national tour Tracy), and she can barely work anymore because of the physical stress of the show. She was one of the older Tracys, though.
So, doing it younger rather than older is probably best because young bodies can take more abuse than older ones.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#58re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 5:02pm

I agree with everyone who said that she would wait a year or so. I'd like to see her in the role but as most of us have seen firsthand, just because you're a good movie actor/actress doesn't mean you're cut out for Broadway...

tinkerscanne
#59re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 5:08pm

Playbill9117,

How old was the girl that played Tracy in the 1st National Tour? Just curious. Thanks!

Playbill9117
#60re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:58pm

I THINK I remember hearing 25 or 26 (really just a guess with my old memory!) But most of the others, as I understand it have been around 19-23 years old when they start. Kathy Bryer (sp?) may have been either the oldest, or just younger than Keala.

Diva would know better than I do.
Updated On: 8/25/07 at 06:58 PM

Fosse76
#61re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:55pm

"It would be best for HAIRSPRAY, however to bring her in only after Lance Bass leaves the show. If they brought her in before that, they'd be wasting a major revenue boost, because the show is already doing well with Bass."

Hairspray's boost is attributable to the presence of the Beaver, and then the film. Lance Bass is not much of a factor at the moment, since the show has been selling out since before his arrival. Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but Nikki is not a household name, so putting her in the show would not have any noticeable effect on the box office.

TheatreDiva90016
#62re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:59pm

All I knew, as far as ages went, was that they were all younger than me. Carly was the youngest, and it was also tough on her. Keala was one that did use the term 'broken body' after she finished the tour.

It's a HARD f'ing role.

Playbill9117
#63re: Blonsky to go to bway?
Posted: 8/26/07 at 1:00am

Thanks, Diva!

P.S.
I got served.
I was such a jerk to interject that opinion on this forum. I had obviously not done as much homework on the subject as Fosse76.

I guess the lead actress in the 4th most successful film in the past 30 years probably is still a "nobody." Darn this is a tough business.
Updated On: 8/26/07 at 01:00 AM

Videos