Political Satire in Theatre

AnnaB2
#1Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/19/07 at 6:45pm

Did anyone see Political Idol over at The Tank? The venue had a political showcase with different political productions and I just happen to stay for the preview of Political Idol. It was a satirical musical on politicians. Just wanted to know if anybody saw it, or if they know of ant other political satire in the NY area.

Political Musicals??

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#2re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/19/07 at 8:51pm

Haven't seen it...but when I saw the thread, I immediately thought of Urinetown.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#3re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/19/07 at 10:27pm

Heh, well I'm taking a Gershwin class, and not that they're exactly in the area now, but we just happened to finish learning about Strike Up The Band and Of Thee I Sing, two very early political satires. Of Thee I Sing, especially, is hysterical! It was written in...1931 I believe as a complete satire, and in 1998, the events of Of Thee I Sing actually happened (president was impeached but not thrown out of office because of another woman). WEIRD.

(Sorry, hope I didn't take the thread on too much of a tangent)

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

MargoChanning
#4re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/19/07 at 11:36pm

Wasn't it George S. Kaufman who said "Satire is what closes on Saturday night"? Things haven't changed on that score much if one looks at the continual dearth of fresh, relevant and funny satire on NY stages over the years.

You might check out the Culture Project (45 Bleeker downtown). They are committed to producing and staging really strong political theater -- and occasionally they do something satirical. They're one of the most consistently interesting and provocative theaters in the city, well worth checking out.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

AnnaB2
#5re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/24/07 at 11:53am

I found out the Political Idol production is having a live filming of the show tonight at The Tank... and it's free to get in! I think I'm going to check it out again...It's suppose to stay current with the event.

We'll see:)
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 11:53 AM

Fenchurch
#6re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:02pm

Political satire doesn't fly on Broadway anymore, or ever, really.

Anyone can Whistle, one of the great political satires in the MT genre, has not enjoyed a revival yet, and now is when one would do well to be revived.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

gennymorgan
#7re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 11/19/22 at 7:53am

What a pity, it's one of my fav genres

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8re: Political Satire in Theatre
Posted: 11/19/22 at 10:55am

To what extent would you consider POTUS to be political satire? I know it's definitely an ensemble farce, but there's quite a lot of it that addresses contemporary political issues (the idea of women in office, abortion, etc)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm