Sweeny Todd Debacle

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#50re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/21/07 at 6:08pm

Please, guys, don't feed the troll.

Nobody acts that stupid unintentionally.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#51re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 12:20am

i don't usually say this, but chason...

...you're a fu**ing idiot

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#52re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:07am

Although some film musicals are genius ie. Chicago/Cabaret/Hairspray, as theater people most of us just have to deal with the fact that theres nothing in this WORLD like seeing a show live on stage.

I was a tad disappointed when I saw Phantom (I thought the cinematogrophy was gorgeous) and Rent (Mark on a bike singing in the opening made me laugh) in theaters. But, that's just because i'd been a die hard fan for years and after seeing them both on stage twice the films were okay/mediocre to me.

I went in with an open mind to both films but tried to remind myself that it won't be the same and never ever will be. You'll never get the same effect that you do when watching those productions live. Because it's film and that's that.

Though I must say, I am excited for Sweeney. I was such a fan of the revival. I'm a Johnny D. fan too. Can't form any kind of opinion until I see the full product though.

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#53re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:11am

re: Sweeny Todd Debacle

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#54re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:13am

GOD, Chason's POSTS drive ME crazy!

GOD, Chason's POSTS drive ME crazy!

"I DON'T know WHAT you're TALKING about. i HAVE my OPINIONS."

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#55re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:16am

Also, can someone get this schmuck (chason) a dictionary or something? The poor bastard can't even SPELL CORRECTLY! If you're such a fan of the show, you should know its S-W-E-E-N-E-Y...yeah I rest my case.

Oh and lizziecurry-I LOVE your avatar:)

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)
Updated On: 10/22/07 at 02:16 AM

Boq101
#56re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:17am

People, it's not like he's depressingly asking people if they hate themselves...

*cough*cruel_sandwich*cough*

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:19am

Remember when he was called Sleeth2? Whatever happened to that?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Boq101
#58re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:23am

lol, I was called something else but then someone wouldnt stop PMing me, lol.

Now im stuck with this name cause people know it well enough.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#59re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 10:03am

I think it's the beginning of the end. Musicals on stage turned into something QUITE less once they reach the BIG SCREEN!

You act like this is something new. This has been common Hollywood practice since the 1930s.

I think that BOTH film versions of RENT and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA gave movie audiences EXACTLY what the stage versions were about. They pretty much STUCK TO THE SCRIPT!

Uh, Rent sure didn't. Once they moved the placement of the title song, it completely changed the perceived motivations of Mark and Roger. Completely ruined the story. Phantom had vogueing in the Masquerade scene and much of the film was dreadfully boring.

I'm not far FROM a teenage boy.

Really? What's his name?

And why did you have to cut and paste the same ranting paragraph twice in a row in the same post? Once wasn't enough?

And why this generalization? As you said, Phantom and Rent included most of their respective scores as did Hairspray, Dreamgirls and Chicago. But you go on and on like what you believe Sweeney Todd to be as some sort of very recent common practice, which it obviously isn't.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#60re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 10/22/07 at 10:44am

Just a point of contention - Dreamgirls did NOT retain most of its score.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#61re: Sweeny Todd Debacle
Posted: 11/12/07 at 3:36am

Pick up a book on directing. Look up the term "extrinsic interpretation."
Learn about Peter Brook's "A Midsummer Nights Dream." Think Shakespeare would have thought that was how his show should be done? No. Was it an artistic masterpiece? Yes.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook