pixeltracker

hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.

hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.

broadwayguy2
#1hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/21/07 at 11:40am

Today Hairspray says "happy trails" to a beloved Edna, Paul Vogt, and longtime Tracy stand-by Michelle Dowdy.
Paul has been with Hairspray off and on since early 2006, replacing Harvey Fiestein in the all too short lived las Vegas production and playing Edna in the regional theatre premiere at North Shore Music Theatre in Mass. Michelle Dowdy joined the Broadway cast in 2005, replacing Shannon Durig when she assumed the starring role. Today, they leave the Hairspray house, but not the Hairspray family.

Tuesday, if the stage hands aren't striking (from my fingers to god's eyes), Hairspray welcome two new members to the Baltimore clan - George Wendt will assume Edna's housedress for three months and Marissa Perry will Mark her Broadway debut (hopefully next Friday night!) as Tracy Turnblad, where I am sure she will go one to a bright future with the company. Keep your eyes peeled! Most of the stand-bys have gone on to assume the role at some point!

We will miss you Paul and Dowd. Don't stay away too long.
Welcome George and Marissa

shesamarshmallow
#2re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/21/07 at 11:47am

I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so.... scared.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Josh Freilich
#2re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/21/07 at 11:53am

They wouldn't strike at THIS theatre because it is a Nederlander theatre.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

broadwayguy2
#3re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/21/07 at 11:57am

At this pint, we don't know that for certain. Local One, and the League for that matter, are playing hardball.
I was discussing this last night with a few people. Regardless of the house, the PRODUCERS of the show are still members of the League, so who knows for certain.

But back to the matter at hand....

Paul and Dowd.
George and Marissa.

Quake with fear, Mashy one.. quake. with. fear.

shesamarshmallow
#4re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 10:41am

So, now that I've seen them both, quick thoughts!

1) George Wendt is doing fine, especially for his first week. As I said in another thread, he's got the pathos down, but he has to work on the humor. I miss Paul, but I knew that would happen. There have been far worse replacements in this show.
2) Marissa Perry is a REVELATION. I love her, I really do. She just shines on stage and couldn't be more lovable - she's on all this weekend and tuesday if you want to check her out, and you should.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#5re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 10:46am

George Wendt seems to have a lot of trouble breathing when he is SITTING. I would fear for his life if he actually had to sing and dance. How is his stamina?

PEACE.

shesamarshmallow
#6re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 11:02am

Not all that great - sometimes he can't get out all his lines in the songs ("Tell Lola Brigida to step aside" being a particularly egregious example), but he gets through the show alright. Hopefully it'll be good for him. And it makes the "call for backup" line in the finale really believable. :)

Joshua488
#7re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 2:15pm

Marissa Perry is fantastic. I had the pleasure of seeing her as Tracy in the Weston Playhouse production of Hairspray. I am thrilled that she has made it to Broadway.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#8re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:29pm

Not exactly on topic..but I just saw a young girl dressed up as Tracy Turnblad. No joke. IT WAS AWESOME.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#9re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:40pm

Hopefully Marissa will sound better than she did in this video clip of "Hairspray" at the Weston Playhouse. I wasn't very impressed with it. I'm hoping she gets stronger!

http://www.westonplayhouse.org/hairsprayvideo.html

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#10re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:52pm

Maybe she was directed that way, but if every Tracy could sing it that way, even I could audition for the role (those few higher notes I alas cannot belt).

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Matthewjames Profile Photo
Matthewjames
#11re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/27/07 at 10:05pm

Saw the show two nights ago
Lori was on for Tracy (fierce...very slim, but fierce lol)
there are for sure points to work on with George, but it's still early
Now his Edna isn't as Fierce as Paul's, but I enjoyed him alot
I like that he's very dry with his sarcasm, makes Edna seem like a bored housewife.
and him having less stamina kinda works for his very "down and out" Edna,
the gesture he does after he hit's the "welcome back to the 60's" note is priceless.....and this is way off-topic, but thank god!! for Jim was Wilbur such an improvement from Jerry

Once upon a time I used to play with toys, but now I'd rather play around with teenage boys

shesamarshmallow
#12re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:03am

I'd seen that video of Marissa and was really worried about her Broadway bow - but there was no reason for it. She's amazing, has all the notes and an abundance of charm.

pianodan
#13re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:27am

Marissa Perry is awesome - I saw her Tracy twice this summer at Weston, where I was working on another show. That promo video was taken at the final dress (also the first dress), when the cast was worn out from many, many hours of tech rehearsal. The choreography looked much better onstage than in the video, and yes, Marissa can sing the ever-livin' heck out of the role...

Joshua488
#14re: hairspray - Happy Trails Paul and Dowd. Welcome George and Marissa.
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:49am

That must have been an off-day. I saw her at Weston as well as on Broadway tonight and she was phenomenal. That video is a completely inaccurate representation of her performance and of her talent.

Videos