pixeltracker

Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met

Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:33pm

I saw my first opera a month ago. That was Bohem at city opera. I want to go to another opera this friday. I can choose between Carmen at City Opera or SRO at Taymor's Magic Flute at the met. Which one should I go to?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

MargoChanning
#2re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:34pm

I'd vote for Taymor's gorgeous production of Magic Flue.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

misschung
#2re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:37pm

Go for the Magic Flute

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:42pm

I have heard that the two starter operas are carmen and Bohem. Being that I have only been to one opera before do you think that iwill enjoy Magic Flute. I mean is this very dence in termso operas in other words. I mean is it an easy story to follow as oppose to wagner or something of that nature.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

bwaylvsong
#4re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:55pm

Go to Magic Flute. Nothing compares to the Met, and I would consider TMF a starter opera.

Ed_Mottershead
#5re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 12:57pm

If you're just starting in the opera game, I think Carmen would be the better choice as an opera. It's got a timeless story, is very melodic and the drama builds to a sensational climax in the final act. Magic Flute is a masterwork, but maybe not the best choice to be one of your sandbox days of attending the opera. No offense meant to you or Julie Taymor's production.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 11/8/07 at 12:57 PM

#6re: Carmen at City Opera or Magic Flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 1:14pm

We've seen both -- Carmen last month and Magic Flute last year -- and if faced with that choice tomorrow night I'd stand near the fountain and flip a coin.

Both are worth the three-hour-plus time commitment, and if you ask the right question at the right time at the box office you could get a good seat for either show for $25 or less.

My daughter says ask someone what their favortie number is from 1 to 10, and if it's 4 or lower, go to Carmen. But if it's 5 or higher, go to see Magic Flute.
Updated On: 11/8/07 at 01:14 PM

MargoChanning
#7re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 1:15pm

Magic Flute is very tuneful (as is all of Mozart, of course), easy to follow, fun, funny and fantastical and, in this production, quite a spectacle for the eyes and ears. Truly a perfect "starter" opera, I would think, along with the beautiful epic Zefferelli Boheme at the Met which is also back this season (it's been one of the most popular productions at the Met for decades now; it always sells out -- a must-see).

You might at also want to check out Aida (talk about a spectacle -- the Met production is HUGE with massive towering sets and a cast of hundreds) and the Zefferelli La Traviata which is gorgeous (both operas are by Verdi, the greatest of all Italian opera composers -- with his absolutely exquisite melodies, his operas are also great for beginners). Rossini's Barber of Seville is also a lot of fun ("Il Barbiere di Siviglia" -- one of the great comic operas). Also check out a couple of Puccini's other masterpieces such as Madama Butterfly and Tosca, if you get a chance.

All of those, as well as Carmen, are ideal for theose just getting started in their appreciation of opera.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/8/07 at 01:15 PM

MuslimBwayFan
#8re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 1:22pm

Flute Flute Flute,
It's infinitely more enjoyable than Carmen

Scooter
#9re: Carmen at City Opera Or Magic flute at the Met
Posted: 11/8/07 at 1:47pm

I say MF even tho' I am a bit weary of Taymor and her puppets... try to see Joseph Kaiser as Tamino. Just made his Met debut opposite Anna Netrebko in Romeo et Juliette and played Tamino and the Kenneth Branagh film adaptation (see link)

Enjoy!

Kenneth Branagh's, The Magic Flute Updated On: 11/8/07 at 01:47 PM

Videos