pixeltracker

LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE- Page 4

LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE

One NYC StageHand
#75re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:20pm

The Lunt-Fontaine is a Nederlander owned house with a Disney Theatricals production. The New Amsterdam is a Disney owned house with a Disney Theatricals production. Disney is not part of the League and the New Amsterdam will not be affected.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#76re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE

I think you're safe for TONIGHT.

Off-Broadway is NOT affected.

BwayJerry
#77re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE

One NYC Stagehand - What is the information for the Union so I can call and complain to them, since they are the ones authorizing the strike? I have tickets to a show tonight and plan on taking my kid to his first Broadway show and if you decide to strike, it would seem to me that it is the Union's decision to do so, not the Leagues. So I would hold the Union responsible for ruining this possibly wonderful experience for my child, not the League.

MargoChanning
#78re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE

Off-Broadway operates under separate contracts with the union that are still valid and unexpired, so their shows will not be affected.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#79re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:22pm

^^ Thanks..

How about tomorrow ? we dont know yet ? and when should we know this?

J*

outovfashion07
#80re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:23pm

I think it's safe to say as of now no one knows what will ACTUALLY happen. You're best bet is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst, and in your case Jaystar your best bet might just be to postpone your trip if you can.

BwayJerry, no need to get angry with the union. no one wants a strike but unfortunatly it has come to that point. If you want to call and complain about something call and complain to the producers about how far and hard they have pushed the workers.

One NYC StageHand
#81re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:25pm

During the last contract negotiations it was stated across the table that the Producers thought that Local One had the power then but wouldn't in the next negotiations. The League then self-imposed a surtax on every ticket sold to fund a war chest to last out the lockout. At the start of the current negotiations the League stated that there would be a lockout if the Leagues demands were not met. During the current negotiations, the League has engaged in what is probably surface bargaining. Facing an extremely negative response to their proposed lockout, the League backed off of the lockout plan and instead imposed work rules.
If you still think that this is an outcome the union desires, you are mistaken. A strike means we are out of work. The Local's commitment to the NYC entertainment industry goes back to over a century. We have never struck. We don't want to but we will not be forced into givebacks during a time of plenty.
Contact the League and tell them that more will be lost than gained if they force the shutdown of Broadway. The League is not talking about lowering ticket prices if they get these givebacks but putting additional profits into the pockets of the few. Only the working professionals of the theatre and the theatre going public will lose.

localonecrew
#82re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:28pm

"One NYC Stagehand - What is the information for the Union so I can call and complain to them, since they are the ones authorizing the strike? I have tickets to a show tonight and plan on taking my kid to his first Broadway show and if you decide to strike, it would seem to me that it is the Union's decision to do so, not the Leagues. So I would hold the Union responsible for ruining this possibly wonderful experience for my child, not the League. "

while i am sure that we, as stagehands, feel badly that your child's psyche will forever be scarred by the trauma of missing a broadway show, a trauma that will no doubt lead your child down a long and desperate trail of drug use, prostitution, and littering, we also cant help but be concerned about paying our mortgages and feeding our families. Please try and understand our petty, petty concerns and get your child into some grief counseling. we will all be better for it.
thank you.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#83re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:28pm

"your best bet might just be to postpone your trip if you can."

There is absolutely NO REASON to postpone a trip. There is fantastic theatre all over New York. Check out off and off-off Broadway.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

outovfashion07
#84re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:31pm

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I meant that if he really wanted to see August: Osage County, then he should postpone his trip. I agree there are many-a-other fabulous options out there for theatre.

bugmenot
#85re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:33pm

> If it's a strike all theatres will go dark. Solidarity guys, it
> means that everystagehand currently working will strike. THAT
> means that no matter who the theatre is owned by, the shows
> will go dark.

that is absolutely NOT correct.

If you want to know if your show will be affected, call the League at 212-764-1122 and ask them if their show is in a League theatre.

Shows in the Nederlander theatres are Wicked, Grease, Mermaid, Drowsy, Lion King, Rent, Hairspray, Legally Blonde, and Cyrano.

Shows in Jujamcyn theatres are Grinch, Curtains, Bronx Tale, Spring Awakening, and Jersey Boys.

Shows currently in Shubert theatres are Chicago, Duran Duran,
Rock N Roll, Seafarer, Les Miz, Color Purple, Mama Mia,
Avenue Q, Is He Dead, Phantom, Farnsworth Invention, Chorus Line,
and Spamalot.

MaronaDavies
#86re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:38pm

BwayJerry, you can't be serious. Do you really think that your kid's going to be affected by missing a Broadway show the same way the stagehands' children are going to be harmed if their moms and dads can't earn a living wage? Or if their parent is harmed because of the League's enforced rules? That's more important than making sure your child has a nice night. Take him to Serendipity or something.

Instead of complaining to the union, you should direct your comments to the League. The League has created this situation.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#87re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:39pm

Thanks . I wanted to see August:Osage County and I am so preset in seeing that show actually. If I dont go I will loose $32.00 ...no big deal re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE

I was informed (thru pm'd) that SPEECH & DEBATE is SOLD out. I guess if I dont see a clear answer by tomorrow morning .. I will just stay home and watch Donnie Darko (play) at ART in Cambridge.

My commute is 8 hours.. Sounds weird..but some of my co-workers go to Foxwoods & Mohegan Sun every Saturday to gamble...or worst Atlantic City !

Well- Always Look on The Bright Side of Life !

J*

WaltSummersPI
#88re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:42pm

jaystar, I'd tell you to wait on the standby line for YANK!, but that's an awfully long commute.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#89re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:43pm

Or maybe take in hottie Peter Dinklage (yes...you read that right) in THINGS WE WANT.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#90re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:48pm

Yank is in Brooklyn. isn't ?
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 02:48 PM

BwayJerry
#91re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:51pm

I never said your concerns were petty, but having been in this industry for several years, I can tell you that there is not a single stagehand I know that is going hungry.

As for this being a "time of plenty," take a look at the grosses. Other than a very small handful of shows, producers are not raking in more than $70 a ticket on average. And only a little more than half have a capacity of more than 70% as of last week. Is someone here that can give us the number of Broadway shows that have recouped? I think the last number I read was that 80% of Broadway shows never recoup meaning their investors as well as the producers themselves are hardly raking it in. Many of them do well, but with rising costs and featherbedding, it would seem that it makes it very difficult for someone new to break into this industry and try something interesting.

So, if anyone else would like to answer my question and tell me who I should contact at IATSE to complain, please let me know. and localonecrew, I don't see how complaining to the Union is any more frivolous or petty than complaining to the League. So drop the "poor me, I sometimes have to come all the way to midtown from NJ and all I get is my $400 4-hour minimum payment and I was expected to sweep a WHOLE STAGE in that amount of time."

localonecrew
#92re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 2:59pm

1.i wish i got $400 for a four hour call. that would be sweet!

2. Give me one example of union featherbedding that isnt just a parroting of one of the lies from the leagues press releases.

3. shows dont recoup because they suck or have 15 million dollars worth of scenery and costumes, not because of stagehands. Just ask the folks at little mermaid how much expensive scenery got thrown away because somebody just changed their mind. Stagehands dont pick scripts to produce, dont blame us when they fail because they are awful

WaltSummersPI
#93re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:06pm

Yep, Park Slope!

BwayJerry
#94re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:15pm

to LocalOneCrew

1. I know 3 different people who regularly work Broadway shows and events around town who have a $100/hr Local One position with a 4 -hour minimum.

2. See above.

3. Shows don't recoup for any number of reasons, but you guys are clearly claiming that producers are in a "time of plenty" when it's clear that they are not. You can't spin it one way saying "producers make a ton of money and we deserve some of it" and then say "it's not our fault they're poor" in the same breath.
Hell, look at the Producing Office, which may have Rent and Ave Q in their pockets, but they also have 39 Arts, which is in the hole for millions. But...they took a chance on something that could have greatly helped the artistic community. They failed, it didn't work - not saying that's local one's fault, but don't go around thinking you deserve more because producers are lining their pockets. It's simply not true.

Schuyler
#95re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:15pm

Bwayjerry: You are a moron. I would also like you to give me an expample of feather bedding? They havent done that in YEARS. The league is not interested in negotiating, only "breaking the union." The union is negotiating in good faith. If the union gives up what the league wants them to give up, do you think ticket prices will go down??? They will just continue to go up.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#96re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:17pm

(from playbill)
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112634.html

Unaffected houses include the Hilton Theatre (Young Frankenstein), the New Amsterdam (Mary Poppins), the Helen Hayes (Xanadu), Circle in the Square (Spelling Bee), as well as Broadway's nonprofit sector, including Lincoln Center, Manhattan Theatre Club and Roundabout productions.
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 03:17 PM

MaronaDavies
#97re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:23pm

Agreed, localonecrew.

It's very nice to blame the stagehands or other union salaries for a show's failure, but it's just not true. Crew salaries account for less than 10% of a show's nut--usually somewhere around 8%. As localone said, the crew doesn't design, write, compose, advertise or act in the shows.

The union's shown tremendously good faith in working without a contract, continuing to work even with the enforced "final offer" (and may I remind you that the League hasn't included any pay raises in the final offer terms they are enforcing right now...), and trying to get the League back to the table again and again. It's the League who is forcing this strike by refusing to negotiate. They want to make the Union seem to be the villains, so they're forcing a strike rather than a lockout.

localonecrew
#98re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:25pm

"1. I know 3 different people who regularly work Broadway shows and events around town who have a $100/hr Local One position with a 4 -hour minimum. "

this is absolute nonsense.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#99re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
Posted: 11/9/07 at 3:31pm

I am glad I have only purchased one ticket for my trip to NYC in Dec. Supposed to see Osage on Dec. 6th.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 03:31 PM