pixeltracker

The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)

The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)

instant karma Profile Photo
instant karma
#1The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:20pm

Let me start out by saying that (like pretty much everyone else in the world) The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies of all time. Once I bought my tickets in July, I decided that I wasn't going to look at any reviews/pictures/videos/etc. from Denver or anywhere else. I made sure that no one I knew told me anything about it and steered clear of BWW review threads. In fact, I still haven't read any of them so I apologize if this The only thing I knew about were heelies.

When you walk into the Lunt-Fontanne, possibly one of the ugliest show curtains in the history of Broadway greets you. It is black with small blue ocean creatures all over it. During the overture, the creatures changed colors and a cool ocean effect washed over them. The simple ocean effect over the black would've been a much nicer greeting, in my opinion.

The overture ends and the curtain rises on Sierra Boggess. Whatever airport the director was in when she first saw heelies should be shut down and put under inspection. When I heard about the heelies I assumed they would be creative, interesting "Broadway" takes on heelies. No. The actors are literally wearing heelie sneakers painted the color of their character.

My biggest problem with the show was that I felt the creative staff went in two totally separate directions. The set designer designed these fabulous sets that totally differentiated from the movie while the costume designer seemed to go out of her way to stay as true to the movie as possible. It looked like a Disney theme park show lent their costumes to a Broadway production. The execution of the merpeople's costumes was interesting as well. While it is on the right track, the execution gives the illusion of the fish having two different fins. It would seem more visually pleasing for the actor to have a sheer or blue-green stocking on and the fin the way it is now.

The cast is uniformly very strong with Sherie Rene Scott stealing the entire show as Ursula. She is absolutely brilliant! Sierra Boggess is perfect as Ariel and Norm Lewis worked through a broken tail and a small trip on his heelies to deliver a strong performance. JJ Singleton (in a t-shirt?!?!) was great as Flounder singing the best new song in the show, She's in Love. Eddie Korbich is given the worst material in the show but soldiers through it.

The set is absolutely magnificent. The constant moving waters really are terrific and the flying ship is great. Ursula's Lair and Kiss the Girl were my two favorite settings. I thought that the human world was a little boring compared to the underwater sets but, that might have been a choice made by the designer.

At intermission, I hated the show. Leaving after it, I was torn and said the words "hit and miss" a lot. But waking up this morning, I felt totally different. I actually loved it. I don't know why but the whole day, it's been all I've been able to think about. I will absolutely buy tickets to see it again.

Sorry if this review was all over the place, I just had a lot to say.

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#2re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:23pm

Thank you for you're review instant karma!

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#2re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:26pm

So wait, did you love it or hate it lol?

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#3re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/10/07 at 11:42pm

I find it odd that you say the costumes are just like the movie. Ursula's was nothing like the movie, the eels, Sebastian, etc. were all very different. It looked nothing like "theme park" costumes.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#4re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/11/07 at 12:48am

I agree. I actually thought the sets and costumes fit well together, but I'm not sure I liked the overall concept.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#5re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/11/07 at 12:49am

That was one of the best reviews I have read on this board. You seemed to be completely honest in your assessment of the major aspects of the show. Bravo

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Mouses Magic
#6re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:20pm

Instant Karma

First off I LOVE your avatar. Secondly, where were your seats when you saw MERMAID? Thanks.

Mouses Magic
#7re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:19pm

Just bumpin this guy up so maybe Instant Karma will see my question. :)

instant karma Profile Photo
instant karma
#8re: The Little Mermaid (11/09/2007, Spoilers)
Posted: 11/12/07 at 4:04pm

I was in row C of the Mid-Mezz and was fine. I think it might be nicer to see this show from the orchestra to get the full effect of the wave effects but for the 80 dollars I spent I had a perfect view.

Videos