snl89
#25re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/6/08 at 4:58am

the ones that immediately come to mind are:

Pasek and Paul
Scot Alan
Michael Arden

:)

There are SO many great young composers out there it seems like! Broadway has def got a very bright future

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

Jazzysuite82
#26re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/6/08 at 10:29am

There are great young composers around. It's funny young here is considered to be 35. Everyone was talking about great "new" composers. Adam, Michael-John and Ricky were all writing long before they were "discovered".

I'm a fan of Peter Mills work. He's got his own sound with a fresh approach. Sometimes I feel that the really younger composers (mid 20's) all sound the same. I enjoy some of Lowdermilk's music. I would also watch out for Ryan Scott Oliver in the future. He writes some nice things.

I must say though, I don't hear anyone writing today with a voice as sophisticated or unique as someone like Adam Guettel or Michael John LaChiusa. Peter Mills does get very close. We'll see what happens with all of these younger composers in 10 years. a voice does take time to develop.

fanofbway
#27re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:03pm

I would agree with many of the composers listed. Another extremely talented Composer/Lyricist that deserves to be recognized is Joel B. New. His music and lyrics are beautiful, and simply put ... honest.

Check him out www.joelbnew.com

#28re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:47pm

everyone check out
www.alexwyse.com
and he looks like a kid!

bwaycomposer Profile Photo
bwaycomposer
#29re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/7/08 at 5:27pm

throwing myself in there -- Bobby Cronin (BRATT CAMP, 'TIL DEATH DO US PART)

www.myspace.com/bratsmusical

I have a concert March 2nd at the Duplex with Marty Thomas, Kate Pazakis, Kathy Deitch, Brad Bass, Kate Loprest, Adam Fleming, Ashley Marie Spencer and more.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#30re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/16/08 at 1:56am

I'v heard great things about this new composer... Jack (Read) D'Arcy. I love the sound of Vaccinate!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=236639204

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

thevolleyballer
#31re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/16/08 at 4:11am

"Pasek and Paul are pretty bad--I walked out of
their show in Albany."

I believe you mean their show walked out on YOU.

joniray
#32re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/16/08 at 12:54pm

How about this guy? Not really so much in the pop/rock vein like a lot of the others mentioned, but I think some of his stuff is really beautiful. (And I'd listen to Sara Ramirez sing the phone book re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists )
Believe - the musical

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#33re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/16/08 at 3:51pm

Pasek and Paul
Scott Alan

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Nick Plasia
#34re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/19/08 at 2:44am

"Pasek and Paul are pretty bad--I walked out of
their show in Albany."

I believe you mean their show walked out on YOU.

What does that even mean?!?
Updated On: 2/19/08 at 02:44 AM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#35re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:37am

I think it means that, in his opinion, you simply could not comprehend the brilliance of the piece, and therefore stupidly left to avoid more brilliance assaulting your senses.

I think.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

thevolleyballer
#36re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:40am

Precisely, B3TA.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#37re: New Generation of Composers/Lyricists
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:41am

"Precisely, B3TA."