pixeltracker

A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?- Page 5

A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#100re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:22pm

Peters would actually make a fabulous Carlotta, except for the fact that she also has that girly voice. But she definitely could play the sexy side of Carlotta as well. Though I'm not sure I'd believe beautiful, perky Peters has "been through the gamut A-Z."
Lauper is a perfect choice. I don't think her voice is a problem. She has such a tough quality to her, she's sexy, and she can act. Call her agents ASAP!
I still prefer my idea of Krakowski. She's in her 40s, has made a career out of being sexy and also out of poking fun at her sexiness. She'd be a great out-of-the-box Carlotta.
Streep must play Sally, she'd be fantastic. I really would love to see Laura Linney in the role too though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#101re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:26pm

I think Midler would be better leading the "Who's That Woman?" number.

Yes!

LadyRosecoe
#102re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:27pm

Midler would be a perfect Stella, I agree. She'd be fun, loud, fitting the role wonderfully!

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#103re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:35pm

I'd say this:

Sally: Meryl Streep
Phyllis: Annette Benning
Carlotta: Bernadette Peters

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#104re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:41pm

Well, I think Bette Midler is perfect for a stage Follies, but I understand what you guys are saying about the sexiness factor. I don't think Krakowski works at all. She is 39 and looks like she is in her early thirties. She also has a very contemporary look which I don't think works at all for this piece espicially not for the role Carlotta. I think Anette Bening is the perfect Phyllis and if Kathleen Turner can sing it then I would call her the perfect Carlotta. I think Laura Linney is a great choice for Sally, but I doubt she can sing it. I can see either Kevin Spacey (espicially if Benning is cast), Dennis Quaid or Daniel Day-Lewis as Ben. Buddy is harder... Paul Giamatti?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#105re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:49pm

I don't see Meryl as Sally at all.

LadyRosecoe
#106re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:51pm

I don't either, but Benning would be a fantastic Phyllis. I really could see that happening indeed!

Gothampc
#107re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:56pm

I'd like to see Beverly D'Angelo somewhere in this movie. She did her own vocals in Coal Miner's Daughter. Perhaps as Sally?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#108re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:00pm

I think Sally will be the hardest role to cast. Not many Hollywood names would be able to handle the soprano range of the role. Some of her notes are really up there, and I wouldn't care to hear TOO MANY MORNINGS transposed down.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#109re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:08pm

I would not mind it at all if Sally weren't a soprano anymore. Mrs.Lovett was completely changed (vocally-wise) and if the NINE film happens, the vocals are expected to be completely altered to suit the actors. I think if you have seen SOPHIE'S CHOICE and MUSIC OF THE HEART (the beginning at least), you can see how some of us think Streep could make a great Sally.
Laura Linney obviously doesn't have the soprano of a Vicki Clark or a Dorothy COllins. So what? This is a completely different animal. She would be thrilling to watch.
Jewishboy, the reason I think Krakowski would work as Carlotta (and this is of course with the movie going into production sometime in late '08/'09), is precisely because she is older and looks younger. Carlotta is not a washed-out old lady like the productions with Ann Miller and Donna McKechnie in the role make it seem. She was a chorus girl just like Phyllis and Sally, she was the girl having affairs with all the other taken guys, she is living with a 27 year-old. I can totally see Krakowski in the role, of course if she were made-up and costumed to look a certain way. In 30 ROCK they have managed the nearly-impossible task to make Krakowski incredibly un-sexy and grotesque, so she has it in her.
If they go for people like Linney and Marissa Tomei or Vanessa Williams, Krakowski would fit right in. If they go more towards Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, et al, then she wouldn't make much sense.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#110re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:15pm

Yeah, but Lovett's songs weren't transposed drastically for the film. If I'm not mistaken they sound like the original keys.

I like Streep but some people believe she can play any and every role out there.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#111re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:15pm

Assemble a good screenwriter, Mendes & Sondheim to get the ball rolling.

You than get the whole lot of them in one of the abandoned theaters that populate the city. You get atmosphere you cannot buy for all the money in the world. There is one on main street Flushing which would be perfect. Do it right & you would have possibly the greatest stage to screen adaptations ever

Just imagine seeing the old theater morph into what it was & than go back & forth.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/16/07 at 04:15 PM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#112re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:21pm

But, in the song "I'm Still Here" there are so many layers to the character, and I just don't see Jane Krakowski bringing them all to life in her physical performance as well as vocally.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#113re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:33pm

Jewishboy, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :)
Ljay, I get your point re Streep. Personally, FOLLIES is on my top 3 favorite musicals and Meryl Streep is my top favorite actress so you can see why I'd want the marriage of the two. She isn't my number one choice (that goes to Linney) but I think she'd be fabulous.

LadyRosecoe
#114re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:56pm

Cate Blanchett in 10 years as Phyllis. That doesn't solve the Sally problem, but by then maybe Kate Winslet or someone can handle it! :-/

Roscoe
#115re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 4:59pm

Folks, don't hold your breath until this actually happens. Being developed and actually being made as a film are two very different things. This will probably be allowed to fade away unmade.

Aaron Sorkin? Feh.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#116re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 5:22pm

I am a little "meh" on Sorkin as well. I would much prefer Alan Ball, Christopher Hampton, or Lee Hall.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#117re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 5:33pm

If it happens, than you have to deal with the inevitable cutting of musical numbers

Poster Emeritus

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#118re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 6:35pm

Yes, Roscoe, we know. We don't care. We still want to talk about it.

If it were to happen, I still think the two couples and Carlotta should be late 40s, early 50s.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#119re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 6:58pm

OK Ray. Singing aside I think that Sally Field could make a fantastic Sally. And if they need to, just dub her.
Updated On: 12/16/07 at 06:58 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#120re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:06pm

Wow, that's an inspired choice!
There's something we can agree on, Jewishboy re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Sally Field is by far the best, most inspired choice for Sally in this or any other thread that has been created about the topic.
Bonham Carter could play Phyllis, Dennis Quaid as Ben, Paul Giamatti as Buddy, Cyndi Lauper or Bernadette Peters as Carlotta, Bette Midler as Stella, Leslie Caron as Solange, Cloris Leachman as Hattie, and I shall be a happy homo.

Updated On: 12/16/07 at 07:06 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#121re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:53pm

It' Sally Field.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
TheEnchantedHunter
#123re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:58pm

I wish Chapin had written more about process than how Yvonne De Carlo kept on making passes at him. Given its subject, I found it very disappointing.

Heidi Schiller
On the Zuider Zee
Updated On: 4/29/08 at 07:58 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#124re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:59pm

TheEnchantedHunter, you so cranky, but I love you anyway!