pixeltracker

Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?- Page 2

Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 2:49pm

emmadny - It's great to hear from a fan from Madrid! I've seen a few shows there including Hoy No Me Puedo Levantar. With the unexpected international success of Beauty and the Beast, Disney would be foolish not to revive it at some point. But since it closed in 2007, they will probably wait a while before a revival. I don't think they would want to repeat the mistake Les Miserables made in returning so quickly with the same production.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WishingOnlyWounds2
#26re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 2:51pm

No, not really. '13' will probably never be revived, unfortunately. Now, are we going to go back to the pathetic '13' responses every time I post?

Also, 'Les Mis' wasn't closed that long until it was revived.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#27re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 2:52pm

that's because LES MISERABLES is close to being a masterpiece.

BEAUTY is far, far, far from it.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#28re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 2:54pm

I see you're also going back to avoiding my questions.

Besides the point, Beauty and The Beast had many, many fans and good reviews, and excellent word of mouth and ran for 13 years! Maybe not a masterpiece in your mind, but it was a hit, no doubt about it.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Mister Matt
#29re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 3:11pm

that's because LES MISERABLES is close to being a masterpiece.

BEAUTY is far, far, far from it.

Apples and oranges. As far as family musicals go, the original production at the Palace was pretty close to a masterpiece. I mean, once you remove the Disney stigma and view the stage production objectively for what it was. It was quite beautiful. But then, I don't have a problem with Disney producing Broadway musicals (just like other producers do) or with musicals produced for families with children. For their first Broadway venture, Disney knocked it out of the ballpark with Beauty and the Beast.

Jon
#30re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 3:26pm

Here's the big difference: LES MIZ has never been released for amateur production, (except the "school edition) and only very few professional regional productions.

Thousands of stock companies, community theatres, high schools and even junior high schools are doing BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. It's not like it's hard tofind a production of it playing somewhere.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#31re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 3:33pm

This video always gets me...
Saying Au Revoir To Beauty and the Beast

ilovebroadway2
#32re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 3:44pm

I would doubt a B&B revival within, say, 3-5 years due mainly to the economy. Perhaps when Little Mermaid starts to die, then we'll start to hear talk of it (or when the economy improves). I think that Little Mermaid kind of replaced Beauty...no idea why though.

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#33re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 4:17pm

I'd much rather see Aida.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#34re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 4:23pm

I think closing this show was one of Disney's biggest mistakes

How?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Mister Matt
#35re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 4:25pm

I'd much rather see Aida.

Yikes. Not me. I thought Aida was something of a mess.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#36re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/10/09 at 4:42pm

No doubt Beauty and the Beast will come back in about 10 years, to catch the next generation, before that I guess Cats will comeback, cannot be long for its 10 year anniversary of its closure, so in the next couple of years about right.

Mister Matt
#37re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/11/09 at 4:42pm

If Cats comes back, it will probably incorporate more modern technology and a fresh approach to the costumes, makeup and choreography. It will moat likely be basically the same show, but a version 2.0 similar to Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas. They know they will never be able to repeat the impact the show had when it originally opened in London and NYC.

Once Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins run their courses, Disney could easily bring back Beauty and the Beast and simply let it run with The Lion King again and still probably make a profit. While The Lion King has been Disney's largest theatrical success, Beauty and the Beast is still considered the pinnacle of Disney's animated films.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#38re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/11/09 at 5:01pm

i agree closing the show was a big mistake

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Mister Matt
#39re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/11/09 at 5:12pm

I don't think closing it was a mistake at all. Sales were down and the scaled-down production was getting rather dull and dusty. The show closed at the right time. And opened the door for new Disney ventures, for better or worse, while somewhat trying to appease the anti-Disney folks by not over-saturating Broadway with more than three productions running simultaneously (though the anti-Disney would prefer fewer, even if it meant the theatres would sit empty and dark, simply out of spite).

bwaybabe2
#40re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/12/09 at 6:02am

Would love for that to be true!

UglyBetty Profile Photo
UglyBetty
#41re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/12/09 at 2:26pm

I wish Disney would figure out how to make their looming Hunchback musical thats been testing around europe for a while. the score is fantastic.

Mister Matt
#42re: Beauty and the beast revival..WHEN?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 12:27pm

I loved the score for the Berlin production of Hunchback. The costumes were gorgeous and reverting back to the original ending of the book was a tremendous improvement. The only thing that really put me off was the staging. The blocks and projections got tiresome and repetitive after the first 15 minutes. And the placement of the intermission was rather awkward. But there definitely is a workable show in there.

Videos