Opening Night Tickets

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#1Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:09pm

*Warning - I searched and found nothing*

Now, I will be in New York during the week when a show is scheduled to open. I happen to be there for business when Patti opens in Gypsy.

1 - What is the chance of me getting one opening night ticket?
2 - How would I go about it?
3 - Is it worth going and watching for stars if I can not get it?

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions would be great. Going to a broadway show is part of my "bucket" so I was hoping to figure out a way in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#2re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:12pm

1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Unless you pay like $5000

RyToast1
#2re: Opening Night Tickets

The only way I know to get an opening night ticket for Gypsy is to know someone in the cast.

I got one!

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#3re: Opening Night Tickets

cool who do you know?

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#4re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:48pm

"1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Unless you pay like $5000 "

Wow I must be really lucky because I have attended quite a few openings and never spent more than the price of a ticket.

To answer the actual post, the St James is a large theatre, Im sure they will release a hand full of tickets (most shows do, especially in bigger theaters) a few days before. You might have to wait it out as long as the day of and keep checking ticketmaster/telecharge.

About the stars, I would say no. Unless its a really high profile opening like Three Days or Cyrano there arent likely to be very many stars. A few notable industry people, yes. Actual stars, unlikely.

"Have they come yet?"

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#5re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:55pm

Start checking telecharge a week before opening night and they may release some balcony seats. This is only a possibility and not definite.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#6re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:57pm

I bought tickets for opening night of "A Chorus Line" revival the day of (I think they released them the night before). I bought tickets for opening night of "Curtains" several weeks in advance. You could luck out.

Don't trust a broker!!!!

". . . POP . . ."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 8:06pm

I've attended several opening nights, and have only ever known someone in the opening night cast once. Generally, for some time, the entire house will be held back, and the show will appear "sold out." As the night approaches, and they see how many of those tickets they need, they begin to release some back for sale. Generally, it's a matter of luck- checking online multiple times a day, beginning about a week or so before the opening. When a seat becomes available, pounce. I was actually able to get two opening night tickets for Wicked, using a discount (!!!). We were seated in the orchestra, believe it or not.

Opening nights are great fun, because the energy level is incredible. It's definitely worth trying to do.

wexy
#8re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/30/08 at 8:10pm

I've been to hundreds of plays and I've only been to one opening. Somehow I got an opening night ticket to "Some Americans Abroad" at Lincoln Ctr through TDF.
I met former Mayor Lindsay who was a trustee at Lincoln at the bar.
Pia Lindstrom was sitting two rows behind me. Thats the only time.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#9re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/31/08 at 6:05am

Thanks to Cape and everyone after for your help. I am going to go for it, and plan on getting tickets and see what happens.

Thanks

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10re: Opening Night Tickets
Posted: 1/31/08 at 6:09am

You can always try the box office for any unclaimed house seats. Go there 48 hours before the performance..that is when they are released.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos