pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.- Page 2

Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.

Yankeefan007
#25re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:39pm

Yeah, I know...

Maybe I'll say Yes, Yes! to "No, No"!

Sorry for the bad joke.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#26re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 8:05pm

I wonder what it is like when Stew's understudy goes on.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Yankeefan007
#27re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 8:32pm

Is the understudy named Paella?

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#28re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 8:55pm

One of my friends from the Broadway scene said that even though he doesn't have time to see shows much, he'd see Passing Strange over and over again.
Is it really that good?! I think I'm gonna hit the box office this weekend. :)

Call me Travis. :)

Yankeefan007
#29re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:08pm

The people who like PASSING STRANGE will be the people who have go in with no idea what to expect and leave the theater realizing that they just saw a rock concert.

If you go in expecting a traditional book musical, with a musical theater sound (or a generic-Spring Awakening-rock sound), you'll be disappointed.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#30re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:10pm

rock concerts should not be considered as broadway musicals...at least spring awakening had a book!

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#31re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:12pm

Yes! This person has been looking for a second true rock show since the only other he, well, experienced was Hedwig.
I'm craving the rock vibe that Hedwig gave off, so I'm looking forward to this show!

Call me Travis. :)

wexy
#32re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:23pm

Thanks Jay, certainly seems worth the TDF experience.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:30pm

rock concerts should not be considered as broadway musicals...at least spring awakening had a book!

They took that off the Broadway Constitution long time ago...

6.1.1 Rock concerts with no book WILL not be considered Broadway musicals.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 09:30 PM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#34re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:35pm

Jay, you are too sweet. I have to say that the time I spent with you and the guys surpassed any of the shows I saw this weekend, too.

Your reviews are wonderful. I am now really interested in seeing PASSING STRANGE thanks to your comments.

Can't wait till the next time we are together. XOOO

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#35re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:40pm

tgn-If that's what youre looking for. You wont be disappointed. Though as I said this musical is not for everyone. The group of folks sitting at our back (probably age range of 60-75) hated the show. I talked to them and complained that the drums & bass are very loud. Indeed.. its almost to a point of deafening. But there's a group of students probably 20-24 yrs old and they totally said after the show.. that it totally rocked!

I did not stage door bec. it was bitter cold yesterday and the wind is blowing fiercely, but I noticed that there are bunch of young people (mostly college kids) who are stage dooring... I am very anxious with the reviews and I am sure this musical will have a cult of following. I really wish that they have free demo of the gosple songs-which are very infectious and high energy.

YankeeFan said it perfectly..the people who would LOVE the show are people who are not expecting anything from the show and they would just realized how Stew rocked their evening or afternoon. Yes.. its a ROCK CONCERT.. nothing more.. nothing less...

You know I love you Wat..but I tend to disgaree with you.. PASSING STRANGE has a book. A good example is the song "Keys" I hope you guys were able to download it... There were dialogues that lead to this song...Renata gave her keys to the youth....telling him that he can stay with him (verse1) so take my keys... I got an extra sets.. my keys...

then Stew sung Chorus (as a Narrator-almost like THE EMCEE in Cabaret ) - telling how easy people in Amsterdam trust with just the price of songs.

Verse 2 : the youth- relating that after being alone -someone showed him kindness.. he wanted to call home to tell his mother that he found a new home.

then Stew's part Verse 3 - about the life of the Youth in South Central LA... how people are scared of black guys...they lock their door with his sneeze (per lyrics)

then he sang.... WELCOME TO AMSTERDAM! WELCOME TO AMSTERDAM ! It looks like
Sodom from top to bottom....song goes... (the funky wall open into two parts with different colors....)

The Youth felt welcome..... Stew sing that part... " Is all right with me! " then he asked the audience.. the chorus part... "its all right"!! repeatedly...

It was soo beautifully done..From then .. I know I would love the musical.. its very different...nothing I have seen..its NEW and FRESH...

If I have to pick for BEST MUSICAL for all the shows I have seen.. namely Xanadu,
Young Frankenstein, The Little Mermaid, In The Heights and Passing Strange...

My vote will go to PASSING STRANGE.. as long as they fix some parts of ACT 2...
but I think that's what they want... PUNK ROCK...kinda yelling to the top of their lungs... but still my vote will go to PASSING STRANGE for Best Musical (for now) ..I am actually thinking of catching the show again.

I'm starting to like it.. the more I think about it...Its different and I am always open to new horizon. re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.

Cant wait for the OBCR!

J*
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 09:40 PM

#36re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 9:59pm

please dont judge ENCORES! by APPLAUSE!

besides BUT ALIVE & the educational aspect of seeing a musical we would have never seen (& now we understand WHY we will never see it!), & the curiosity of hearing Ebersole do her damndest to make those songs work, its like Tom monster said; "its about the event and the orchestra"

i do feel like i learned a lot from APPLAUSE; i got to see a show that doesnt work, that was created by talented people & performed by talented people...& in spite of all that talent, its still a stinker!!!

...& now i get to process & think about WHY it doesnt work, HOW it doesnt work...& then i get to think about what could be done to make it work, and if thats even possible.

well, at least BUT ALIVE worked; i havent stopped singing it since saturday night!

ow!

ow!

i think ENCORES! is like school, both for the audience & everyone on stage!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#37re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 10:11pm

I intend to have a subscription to ENCORES for the rest of my life!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#38re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/11/08 at 11:36pm

Me too! I will keep my subscription as long as possible. (They even upgraded my seats this year.)

For the most part, every theater season in NYC over the last 10+ years has been highlighted by ENCORES!

So many actors have had their starts at ENCORES! And so many stars have come back just to get that ENCORES! rush. To remind them why they became performers in the first place.

And as an audience member, that rush flows through the entire theatre!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 12:13am

jay, fantastic reviews as always. I can't wait to read your thoughts on Sunday in the Park with George.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

violet72 Profile Photo
violet72
#40re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 10:39am

as always, great review....now I am seriously considering seeing passing strange....one of my friends raved about it, so it might be a tdf show for me...can't wait for you Sunday in the Park with George review...I think you will like it

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#41re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Reports on Encores' APPLAUSE & PASSING STRANGE.
Posted: 2/12/08 at 9:41pm

Before I let this thread go.. I just wanna thanks .. everyone for your kind words. and yes.. I am very excited to see SUNDAY IN THE PARK with GEORGE next weekend.

Dont worry! Norn.. I promise you next time that theres another ENCORE- we will see it together.

and see you again next Monday for Sunday in the Park with George.

J*

Updated On: 2/12/08 at 09:41 PM